Thread: 2003 Yamaha R6 mechanic special

2003 Yamaha R6 mechanic special

Just putting the feelers out there to make a decision on this bike. Friend of mine had an issue on this bike last year of intermittent stalling when coming to a stop. Had it at Barneys for diag and repair and $800 later still not right. So back in September I picked it up to take a look at it. Initially what I found was lower than spec compression across cylinders 1-3 and almost no compression on cylinder 4. He has been running a shorty open gap style pipe and probably burned the valves. I have not pulled the head yet but have the cam cover off to look at the valve movement.

So my recommendation was to pull and repair the head, replace applicable gaskets and hoses, etc.. I told him he is probably looking at $1000 to repair after my estimated labor and parts. Problem is I am trying to get some projects done around my house to get it on the market by April/May and do not have a lot of free time. So I started looking at used heads as an option to save time and there are a couple nice ones on EBay under $200 so we would be probably around the same amount to repair but ahead on time.

When I contacted him about the used head option he is still thinking he has already wasted $800 on it and does not really want to invest any more in it. Bike has about 30,000 miles on it and has been garage kept so might be a good starter bike for someone who wants to take the time to repair it. So if anyone is interested let me know and make an offer I can pass along to him. And if you want any photos PM me a cell number and I will text them to you. It is on my lift torn down right now.

It also just occurred to me that I have one of my students wanting to buy a motorcycle so this might be a good project for him that I can help him with at school. But I can?t check with him until next week when we get back in session so if you are interested please let me know by this weekend and I will not speak with him about it.
    "No good deed goes unpunished!"

05 ZG1000 Concours
    04 Z1000
    82 Seca Turbo X2
    78 KZ1000 Z1R

just buy a whole used motor for a few hundred and call it a day.

If someone wanted to do that they could; but that may open up other possible ancillary repair items as well. The more I think about it if no one is interested in buying it as is I may go ahead and offer to repair it for now at my cost then give him the first option to pay me for the repair or allow me to sell it and split the profit above the repair costs. It looks like the bike in running condition should be at least $1500-2000. But again I do not have a lot of free time to spend on it so I would rather not take on that project if I don’t have to.

05 ZG1000 Concours
    04 Z1000
    82 Seca Turbo X2
    78 KZ1000 Z1R

I know I shouldn't do this, because I have a ninja 250 project and a 84 300zx project waiting for me, but it would make a nice track bike..... Any pictures?
    "Beware of the lollipop of mediocrity. One lick and you'll suck forever!"Brian Willson

“I guess it's because we all want to believe that what we do is very important, that people hang on to our every word, that they care what we think. The truth is, you should consider yourself lucky if you even occasionally get to make someone - anyone - feel a little better. After that, it's all about the people that you've let into your life.”— J.D.

05 ZG1000 Concours
    04 Z1000
    82 Seca Turbo X2
    78 KZ1000 Z1R

All body work is here - don’t think any of it is broken or missing tabs but needs a good cleaning and there are some scratches on some of the vinyl. Looking at it yesterday if I were to fix it up to sell I would probably do a rear tire as well. Has a pretty good looking Shinko on the front but the Michelin on the rear is getting thin. And I located a Yosh pipe in Orlando on Craigslist that the guy wants $200 for so I was leaning towards picking that us as well as the owner does not have the original slip on.

05 ZG1000 Concours
    04 Z1000
    82 Seca Turbo X2
    78 KZ1000 Z1R

You should fix it. I don't usually don't take projects on that I haven't take it apart.
    "Beware of the lollipop of mediocrity. One lick and you'll suck forever!"Brian Willson

“I guess it's because we all want to believe that what we do is very important, that people hang on to our every word, that they care what we think. The truth is, you should consider yourself lucky if you even occasionally get to make someone - anyone - feel a little better. After that, it's all about the people that you've let into your life.”— J.D.

I’ve been thinking about it but I really need to spend my free time getting stuff done on the house. It would be so much better for me to get out from under one of the projects.

05 ZG1000 Concours
    04 Z1000
    82 Seca Turbo X2
    78 KZ1000 Z1R

I feel the same way....I finished my house and moved across the street to rent my old house......BUT I have so many projects that I haven't even started on the house I live at now!

SOLD!

Rico now has a new project - thanks for helping me out!

05 ZG1000 Concours
    04 Z1000
    82 Seca Turbo X2
    78 KZ1000 Z1R

Thank you BuckwheatJ, I owe you!

Engine is out and at friends house getting taken apart.

Very cool - keep us updated!

05 ZG1000 Concours
    04 Z1000
    82 Seca Turbo X2
    78 KZ1000 Z1R

Hey BuckwheatJ, your very knowledgable on this subject. I have my own theory of why short pipes would cause a burnt exhaust valve, but can you explain it to me, and could having short pipes cause intake valve damage, or does damage the exhaust valve first, then intake?

I would think the exhaust valve first as the way I understand damage possibly occurs from compression braking and sucking exhaust back in due to the lack of back pressure. But since I hadn’t pulled the head off yet I never confirmed it. I am guessing that the “popping” you get on decel actually damages either the valve or the seat (or both) when using the shorty pipe as it is so close to the engine instead of past a muffler to dampen the detonation.

One of my riding buddies just sent me a picture of a 2005 R6 that a friend of his is thinking of buying and it has a shorty pipe on it as well. I told him he should warn the guy thinking about buying it he may have issues.
    Last edited by BuckwheatJ; 01-26-2018 at 05:26 PM.

05 ZG1000 Concours
    04 Z1000
    82 Seca Turbo X2
    78 KZ1000 Z1R

I was thinking the same thing, no back pressure. I'll let you know what we find when I go to his house.

Right now it only looks like a lot of carbon build up around the valve seats. I'll post pics up later.

Please do.

05 ZG1000 Concours
    04 Z1000
    82 Seca Turbo X2
    78 KZ1000 Z1R