Thread: Harleys: is it the bike or the rider?

Harleys: is it the bike or the rider?

I'm slow and gosh darn it, I've earned that reputation.
    Went to Leesburg this weekend and holy sweet hell were t he Harley riders slow! Granted my Rocket 3 will devour them off the line without breaking a sweat, but after a while they should have caught up but they kept getting smaller.
    So I wondered; is it the bikes? is it that having no helmet on changes the perception of speed? At a comfortable pace I left them WAY in the dust.
    f*ck facebook

I just think its the rider. They seem to be more to cruise at a leisure pace.
    "Beware of the lollipop of mediocrity. One lick and you'll suck forever!"Brian Willson

“I guess it's because we all want to believe that what we do is very important, that people hang on to our every word, that they care what we think. The truth is, you should consider yourself lucky if you even occasionally get to make someone - anyone - feel a little better. After that, it's all about the people that you've let into your life.”— J.D.

I imagine riding with no helmet and sunglasses would contribute to this. Probably cannot see after a certain speed and a bug to the face at 70 mph probably does not feel good.
    2 Buells, 1 04 XB12S and 1 XB12R

AM CCS# 331 - 04 Buell XB12R

Quote Originally Posted by FlynScotsman View Post
    I imagine riding with no helmet and sunglasses would contribute to this. Probably cannot see after a certain speed and a bug to the face at 70 mph probably does not feel good.
    Kristen and I wear our lids on both my hardly-ablesons, lids make me smile

Steve

2010 Concours14 (everyone asks mileage, its now >109,000)
    KTM EXC
    ZX9R
    ZZR600 all lowered and its for Teressa

Pic is too cute Steve.
    f*ck facebook

can't speak for an actual harley, but from a cruiser perspective, I can say that the sense of speed is way way different.
    I rode an 1100 virago for over a year everyday and it always felt like it pulled hard. but it too some work to get up in speeds. Felt like I could get to 30 super fast, but much over 60 and the "umph" just wasn't there.
    Same with the corners. It felt like I was tearing through them, but I really wasn't. Not compared to any sport bike I've ever been on. The stance and the weight and all of that just makes you feel fast.

I know a lot of "full dressed" harley's can get up into the 800+ pound range real quick. Add on a bunch of bells and whistles and you are tipping closer to 1,000
    Don't care how much torque your V twin makes, that's a lot of weight to move around.

Mix in the general mentality of not needing to go 100 MPH, 50 is good enough and you end up with a slow moving heard.

Quote Originally Posted by echoraven View Post
    Pic is too cute Steve.
    thanx brutha, it was a great weekend trip
    Steve

2010 Concours14 (everyone asks mileage, its now >109,000)
    KTM EXC
    ZX9R
    ZZR600 all lowered and its for Teressa