Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My trip is coming up

Spring is Ideal , that has passed.
    I'm still working on the Camper and Titan & working 6 nites-a-wk. & over thinking everything... I want this and that..
    So, if there is a Zombie out break,,then I leave within hrs, other wise, I hope asap.
    < N > RUN ?

From the short trips (1500 miles the longest) I have noticed that I (as well as others) pack about 20% too much....Pretty much stuff you won't use.
    "Beware of the lollipop of mediocrity. One lick and you'll suck forever!"Brian Willson

“I guess it's because we all want to believe that what we do is very important, that people hang on to our every word, that they care what we think. The truth is, you should consider yourself lucky if you even occasionally get to make someone - anyone - feel a little better. After that, it's all about the people that you've let into your life.”— J.D.

Quote Originally Posted by RICO View Post
    From the short trips (1500 miles the longest) I have noticed that I (as well as others) pack about 20% too much....Pretty much stuff you won't use.
    That's what I have read. A lot can be purchase as needed.
    It's all in the details

I have all the info what to do and how...problem is time and skill set to applied the info. A hr. a day, to do work on it is getting frustrating
    Last edited by Knine; 05-12-2017 at 07:11 AM.
    < N > RUN ?

Rico,
    PM Sent!
    < N > RUN ?

Any pictures of your rig and camper?
    "Beware of the lollipop of mediocrity. One lick and you'll suck forever!"Brian Willson

“I guess it's because we all want to believe that what we do is very important, that people hang on to our every word, that they care what we think. The truth is, you should consider yourself lucky if you even occasionally get to make someone - anyone - feel a little better. After that, it's all about the people that you've let into your life.”— J.D.

Any pictures of your rig and camper?
    Hundreds of Before's
    Once I have it wrapped and everything mounted..
    Ill post them..
    Australia & S. Africa really does have some serious expedition gear,,,

That's the problem...
    Spent more on Rig and have less to explore with or... less - more !!!!
    Last edited by Knine; 05-12-2017 at 09:17 PM.
    < N > RUN ?

You can always do little stuff to your camper and rig as you travel. Not the big stuff, but little stuff. Plus once you start traveling and using the camper you will come up with new ideas to better fit you.

I agree with ; Organization / System

Water > Check
    Shelter > Check
    Food > Check
    Electric > Check
    Protection > Check

Navigation > Same as Below!
    Emergency > I know what I want.. What is really needed ? .. You can go into Over Kill with this one.
    Caveman or High Tech ???

Tools > Is A tricky one !!!
    Last edited by Knine; 05-16-2017 at 06:32 PM.
    < N > RUN ?

Tools

Tools can be overthought or underthought for sure when long-riding. Thing is, if you have the OEM tool kit, it does literally have basically everything you need for a quick repair, aside from a flat. I have a plug kit and about a 1/2 dozen CO2 cartridges in my long-haul ditty bag. They also sell bike sized versions of the fix a flat gunk. Not the best solution, but if you are 40 miles from the next town out west, a lifesaver.

To me that most aggravating part of long-riding involves the chain. Though tedious, easily enough lubed if necessary in a parking lot. But if you have to make an adjustment, yikes. I actually had a serious chain issue up in WV. Luckily there was a shop where I just got a new one the next morning.

Really the best "tool" to have for a long journey is the right attitude and not hard focusing on making it to point "x" by "x" day or time. Something WILL screw that type of plan up. It is supposed to be relaxing and enjoyable, so takes the delays and problems that will occur in stride. Take a turn here an there that isn't on your planned map of gps route. The most interesting things are found that way.

A couple thousand miles on a bike, even it done in one week, is one of the most amazing things in the world.
    -------------------
    Thank your stars you're not that way...turn your back and walk away
    Don't even pause and ask them why...turn around and say goodbye

2008 Ninja 650r, aka Old Man Ninja

Well, looks like with everything I want to see and people I want to visit, looks like my best bet is to tow the bike in my truck to Albuquerque and head out from there. This will save me time, money in camping, and the possibility of having to put another back tire on the back mid-trip. I've heard of Pilot Powers 4 getting close to 10k miles, but the way I ride, I've gotten 5k out of a PP3, so I figure 6k to 7k on a 4....The trip is about 6500miles....So far. I heard some good things about Dunlop Roadmsters2 and they came out with a 3, but I've haven't used Dunlops in 15 years. Anyone try them?

no need to put it in a truck. don't do that to yourself.

i had a PR4 last from here to Rockies to Cali and back., Came back showing threads and a plug that went 6,000 miles (named jill).
    Steve

2010 Concours14 (everyone asks mileage, its now >109,000)
    KTM EXC
    ZX9R
    ZZR600 all lowered and its for Teressa

Well, plans changed a bit, But they are locked in for sure now! I leave Sept 6th for a camping meet with COG in Suchez Ga and from there go straight to Rothwell NM. Can't wait! Thanks for the info Steve, I plan on trying out the new Dunlop Roadmasters 3. They are supposed to last 4k miles longer than the PR4s. I'll let you know if that happens.

Pilot Powers?

Well, plans changed a bit, But they are locked in for sure now! I leave Sept 6th for a camping meet with COG in Suchez Ga and from there go straight to Rothwell NM. Can't wait! Thanks for the info Steve, I plan on trying out the new Dunlop Roadmasters 3. They are supposed to last 4k miles longer than the PR4s. I'll let you know if that happens.
    Rico, use the Pilot Road as opposed to the Power. Center is harder and eats those ground-covering miles far better. Especially on a loaded bike.
    -------------------
    Thank your stars you're not that way...turn your back and walk away
    Don't even pause and ask them why...turn around and say goodbye

2008 Ninja 650r, aka Old Man Ninja

I read about the Dunlop Roadmaster 3 in one of the motorcycle magazines I get, they said they sent out the tires to a place that puts them on some kind of machine that runs them all the time, and it looked like they could get up to 4k miles more on the rear than the Pilot Roads.

Why don't you head up to Suches with us Lamp?

Looks like an awesome trip!
    Have fun, and be safe!
    Quote Originally Posted by PoppaNoDoz View Post
    ApogeeNow - you are more than a little scary man.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Jarhead View Post
    Tommy, you really scare me sometimes.
    2007 Plasma Blue ZX-1464
    1464cc Bored & Stroked Motor, Re-Flashed ECU, OER Full Hi-Exhaust,
    SpeedoHealer, FP Velocity Stacks, Under-Cut Gears & No Flies!

2005 Subaru Forester XT (AWD madness!)
    1997 34' Fleetwood Bounder (Chevy Big Block Power at its slowest!)

The ADVRider site is loaded with adventurous motorcyclists who create really entertaining threads. It seems like everyone is pushing their limits.
    < N > RUN ?

Yup, been on there for a few years stealing ideas for my bike and trips!

Missed my target date..
    So, I'm shooting for Sept / Oct.
    < N > RUN ?

Well, it will definitely be cooler then.

Well, it will definitely be cooler then.
    ya.. Rookie will be with me (My Doberman )..

But, I was going to basecamp in Flagstaff (Mid 80's/ Day - mid 50's @ nite ) ... just didn't get er done.
    < N > RUN ?