Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My trip is coming up

Hybrid View

My trip is coming up

Well I've been planning this trip for as long as I've been with Abby, about 10 years, I've postponed it the last 3 years for various reasons, but I'm done. I have to do this.....On the R1 too. I plan on leaving sometime the first week of august. I know it is hot, but I'll be riding a lot of high mountain passes. The extremes will be around 112 in Death valley during the day and 35 in Steamboat Co at night. Looks like I will be either buying a Subaru and fixing ti up and towing the bike out there. Selling it and continuing my trip, starting in Albuquerque NM heading north to Steamboat Co and making a left, taking lots of back roads all the way Death Valley and making another left more back roads to Roswell NM and making another Left and heading back to Albuquerque. From there head to Suches Ga to meet up with the COG group and camping with them until sept 11th and heading home.

I should be postponing again, since I quit my job (asshole boss) to concentrate on a rental property to finish and I'm broke.....BUT, I did almost die from a work accident last May, so I want to do this.....Then again since the accident I've had constant pain on my shoulders and elbows. Haven't been able to lift weights (with I do sporadically), MTB, Shooting Range and had to cut down on the riding as well.

I might actually take my truck to Albuquerque and drive to Suches and back home, but I'll decide that the week before.

Anyways, I thought I would share with my TSB friends!

Oh yeah, I also bought Stevefl's Concours do to my accident just in case..... Love the bike, but it just isn't as fun as the R1, but I do love both. Oh yeah, that's my first rental behind the bikes.
    "Beware of the lollipop of mediocrity. One lick and you'll suck forever!"Brian Willson

“I guess it's because we all want to believe that what we do is very important, that people hang on to our every word, that they care what we think. The truth is, you should consider yourself lucky if you even occasionally get to make someone - anyone - feel a little better. After that, it's all about the people that you've let into your life.”— J.D.

Sounds like a lot of reasons why you shouldn't go, but in the end you'll regret not doing it if you keep putting it off. If you are physically and financially able to do it, don't wait any longer.
    "No good deed goes unpunished!"

05 ZG1000 Concours
    04 Z1000
    82 Seca Turbo
    78 KZ1000 Z1R

If your going to tow your bike to New Mexico, why not rent a vehicle and tow hitch as opposed to buying a subaru and fixing it?
    f*ck facebook

Quote Originally Posted by echoraven View Post
    If your going to tow your bike to New Mexico, why not rent a vehicle and tow hitch as opposed to buying a subaru and fixing it?
    Subarus are hot in the Rocky mountain areas and usually sell for $1000 more than here. So it would kind of pay for the drive over there.
    "Beware of the lollipop of mediocrity. One lick and you'll suck forever!"Brian Willson

“I guess it's because we all want to believe that what we do is very important, that people hang on to our every word, that they care what we think. The truth is, you should consider yourself lucky if you even occasionally get to make someone - anyone - feel a little better. After that, it's all about the people that you've let into your life.”— J.D.

Go for it Rico, If you wait for everything to be perfect that time may never come!!
    2 Buells, 1 04 XB12S and 1 XB12R

AM CCS# 331 - 04 Buell XB12R

Quote Originally Posted by FlynScotsman View Post
    Go for it Rico, If you wait for everything to be perfect that time may never come!!
    Very True!
    < N > RUN ?

Last edited by Knine; 05-03-2017 at 05:51 PM.
    < N > RUN ?

Quote Originally Posted by Knine View Post
    Thanks for the link! Some interesting stuff on there.

Well, just under 3 month to leave, and it looks like I'll be postponing this trip.....
    Doctors are taking too long to help me out.
    Sooooooo, looks like I will be taking the Kawasaki Concours instead and heading to the Northwest. Longer trip, but on a much more comfortable bike.
    Found a friend who is heading to Montana at the same time, so I will head up with him and splitting up near Glacier National Park.
    I'll be hitting Glacier, North Cascades, Olympic, Mt Rainier, Crater Lake, maybe sneak into California....but probably not, Grand Teton, Yellowstone, Badlands, and a little of South Dakotas famous sites including some Louis and Clark expedition sites. Then head back to see some friends and family in Colorado and NM, before heading back.
    I know it is a lot, but I'm super excited and I was planning on doing this trip anyways in a year or two, so I'm really just swapping trip plans.
    Anyone want to join?

LOL really doubt it, but this is only 90% sure, there is still a 10% chance I'll do the other trip
    Either way, I am leaving for 4 to 5 weeks! Tired of postponing this adventure!

Good for you Rico.
    I keep being reminded of a conversation I had with the owner of a shoe repair store in Brooksville. I came in on the Rocket and he told me of his ATV days, friends that went to Sturgis etc.
    Anyways when I mentioned my daughter was adult age, he said that my wife and I should go out and enjoy life. Today he has the money to travel, but not the health to enjoy it.
    BTW, if you'd like to install my horn before you go email me a price/location...
    f*ck facebook

Rico,
    I heading out West around the time you , But, in a truck & Camper for @ least a year .
    < N > RUN ?

Wow, good to know, let me know details, maybe I can swing by and say whats up!

Quote Originally Posted by RICO View Post
    Wow, good to know, let me know details, maybe I can swing by and say whats up!
    I'm committed to 1yr. and will attempt a 2yr. plan, and there is no plan for any certain desination

Except : 300 miles-in-1day or 3pm which every comes first , then set up base camp when travel occurs.
    Plan 2 : 2wks on BLM land explore , then move on.
    Plan 3: Higher elevation when hot / lower elevation when cold. basically chase the weather.
    That would be cool to cross paths or use my rig as a base camp..Il have plenty of Solar (400 Watts Solar & 400 Amps hr. battery station.
    < N > RUN ?

As I get more info, I will let you know my route and dates. I'm kind of the same. I will be doing some 700 mile days to get out there and then 300 mile days for the rest of the trip.
    How are you going to support yourself for 1 to 2 years? Savings? or will you be doing part time work out there?
    Will you be taking any motorcycles or MTB?

As I get more info, I will let you know my route and dates. I'm kind of the same. I will be doing some 700 mile days to get out there and then 300 mile days for the rest of the trip.
    How are you going to support yourself for 1 to 2 years? Savings? or will you be doing part time work out there?
    Will you be taking any motorcycles or MTB?
    Savings! I know that I'm not working for the 1st year.. ( It will take 6 mths to decompress ) then just go with the flow..!(so, many options )

MTB, yes! The YZ450F , I really haven't decided ,yet.. 911 won't be around the corner to come get me lol

The elements will be enough to deal with and making sure Rookie doesn't get Eaten by Wild life!!!
    Last edited by Knine; 05-10-2017 at 05:33 PM.
    < N > RUN ?

You sell your R1? What about your house?

You sell your R1? What about your house?
    Going to sell the R1..House is covered.

Rico as strange as this might sound, I plan on living a Mobile lifestyle .. Everything has been thought out,,it's the adventure I seek , not the travel, if that makes sense.

I have a hundred reason why I'm choosing a lifestyle change..Cheaprvliving.com.. Plenty of youtube vids on VanDwelling, Nomadic, disperse camping.Boone docking.

'Young couple boone docking' look it up on youtube it will explain the philosophy of this lifestyle ..
    < N > RUN ?

I went through that stage! lol, Of wanting to do that. I came to the conclusion I need a home base. I'm pretty set with my house and have one rental almost done, then starting on a second me and my mother invested in together and a third that I might get to manage. Slowed in my other work, so If this all works out, I'll be able to do 1 to 2 month trips and travel out of the country more. The hard part is getting them to a really great shape, so they won't need much maintenance.
    I had a friend that did what you are planning, she did it for a few years as well, just sold her RV and moved into a house.
    I think what you are planning is awesome, and I would love to do it...I only think I would be able to do it for a year or 2 max. But that is me.
    I will be checking out those websites.
    PM me about the R1

I went through that stage! lol, Of wanting to do that. I came to the conclusion I need a home base. I'm pretty set with my house and have one rental almost done, then starting on a second me and my mother invested in together and a third that I might get to manage. Slowed in my other work, so If this all works out, I'll be able to do 1 to 2 month trips and travel out of the country more. The hard part is getting them to a really great shape, so they won't need much maintenance.
    I had a friend that did what you are planning, she did it for a few years as well, just sold her RV and moved into a house.
    I think what you are planning is awesome, and I would love to do it...I only think I would be able to do it for a year or 2 max. But that is me.
    I will be checking out those websites.
    PM me about the R1
    That awesome you have all that going on and will be able to take those trips , just another way to go about it !

The Perfect World isn't within my budget, but, I'm getting it done ! lol

This has been 3 years in the making.. and it all has came to this..which should have be done along time ago.

I sure hope this isn't just a - Stage -.. In my mind that would defeat the purpose of doing!

The reality is thought out, the fantasy part will jive with my imagination , the freedom, will with my religious & political views and my Soul will be rejuvenated .

Freedom vs comfort.. I"ve never have been into debt and the days of materialism has passed... I just want to live while I can still enjoy life with energy..
    Ill go with the flow which , once was , the common denominator through out my..The Structure World has been the Stop and Sheep acting "Stage "

If you make tons of Money and waste it , and Work hard, you get it back!
    Time is the one thing that you will never get back..

You Get it and I Hope that We can come across each other paths as you start out for your journey..
    I'm in no hurry ( I'm alright with my contradictions lol ) and since you set such a short time frame to seek adventure .. it seem like you'll be in a Rush to see all that you have plan in that Time Frame of 4/5 mths.

As you get closer to your depart time , lets hook up to see if we can cross some paths along the way !

Hell..Now, that I think about it...Maybe, I'm just Depress!!! lol
    Last edited by Knine; 05-11-2017 at 02:34 PM.
    < N > RUN ?

I get home sick....plus I have the wife and kids now. Plus loosing everything in the phone store fiasco.....
    Yeah, I have to a home base and work! lol
    I wanted to do the same thing in my Honda Element.
    I was thinking 4 to 5 weeks only because I'm going to my annual camping trip with a group of guys I met on a motorcycle website.
    They have a big meet in Suches GA and its a blast and surrounded by great roads.
    It will be my 5th year attending.
    BUT, if I am having a great time and the weather doesn't get too cold to camp, I WILL STAY LONGER! LOL

Wha you going to ask for the R1? PM me.
    Do you have a set date? week? month? for departure?
    I am sure if you are out there at the same time I am, we will run into each other as long as we have phone service. lol
    Last edited by RICO; 05-11-2017 at 05:27 PM.