Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: Name this helmet

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    9,894

    Exclamation Name this helmet

    This belongs to a young man who lost control of his motorcycle and his head hit a tree, or post. He doesn't remember. He said he does remember seeing 39mph right before he went down.

    I looked inside for any identifying tags and found nothing.









    Last edited by Papa Jon; 04-15-2017 at 09:28 PM.
    _________________ ____
    |--Papa Jon Racing--| | ; |____.
    |_..._...__________| _|..........|
    "(@)'(@)"""""|(@)(@)*****(@)

    CCS #19

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    In a box
    Posts
    31,744
    I would name it shit.... That sucks and I hope he made a full recovery!!!!!
    "Beware of the lollipop of mediocrity. One lick and you'll suck forever!"Brian Willson

    “I guess it's because we all want to believe that what we do is very important, that people hang on to our every word, that they care what we think. The truth is, you should consider yourself lucky if you even occasionally get to make someone - anyone - feel a little better. After that, it's all about the people that you've let into your life.”— J.D.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    look behind you.
    Posts
    13,192
    I'd go with cheap crap. Guy is REALLY lucky to be alive with that damage.
    I'm Nico now. Still slowly moving up.

    Boredom leads to bad things.... don't ask how I know.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    9,894
    Quote Originally Posted by RICO View Post
    I would name it shit...I hope he made a full recovery!!!!!
    THIS HELMET is the closet thing I can find.

    And other than some light road rash, his injuries were minor. So, he should be back to normal fairly quickly.
    _________________ ____
    |--Papa Jon Racing--| | ; |____.
    |_..._...__________| _|..........|
    "(@)'(@)"""""|(@)(@)*****(@)

    CCS #19

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    9,894
    Quote Originally Posted by BobTheBiker View Post
    I'd go with cheap crap. Guy is REALLY lucky to be alive with that damage.
    Here is where a great argument can be formed about cheap helmets vs expensive ones.

    The obvious question would be, why do you call it cheap crap? It did exactly what it was supposed to do: protect his head during a crash. He didn't even have a concussion. The cracks in the helmet are irrelevant if his head remained safe. I mean, were supposed to throw away every helmet after a crash anyway, regardless of damage. Right?

    And knowing these facts, what more would a high dollar Arai, Shoei or any other brand have been able to do that this helmet didn't?
    _________________ ____
    |--Papa Jon Racing--| | ; |____.
    |_..._...__________| _|..........|
    "(@)'(@)"""""|(@)(@)*****(@)

    CCS #19

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    In a box
    Posts
    31,744
    I don't know if this is true, but I heard that only 3 companies make their helmet shells in house. Arai, Shoei, and Scorpion. Any truth to this? Suomy is also one of my favorites and at their price I would of figured they made their own shell.
    "Beware of the lollipop of mediocrity. One lick and you'll suck forever!"Brian Willson

    “I guess it's because we all want to believe that what we do is very important, that people hang on to our every word, that they care what we think. The truth is, you should consider yourself lucky if you even occasionally get to make someone - anyone - feel a little better. After that, it's all about the people that you've let into your life.”— J.D.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    In a box
    Posts
    31,744
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Jon View Post
    Here is where a great argument can be formed about cheap helmets vs expensive ones.

    The obvious question would be, why do you call it cheap crap? It did exactly what it was supposed to do: protect his head during a crash. He didn't even have a concussion. The cracks in the helmet are irrelevant if his head remained safe. I mean, were supposed to throw away every helmet after a crash anyway, regardless of damage. Right?

    And knowing these facts, what more would a high dollar Arai, Shoei or any other brand have been able to do that this helmet didn't?
    Completely agree, I always thought you were paying for quality in labor and materials, light weight and aerodynamics.
    "Beware of the lollipop of mediocrity. One lick and you'll suck forever!"Brian Willson

    “I guess it's because we all want to believe that what we do is very important, that people hang on to our every word, that they care what we think. The truth is, you should consider yourself lucky if you even occasionally get to make someone - anyone - feel a little better. After that, it's all about the people that you've let into your life.”— J.D.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Citrus
    Posts
    1,199

    Name this helmet

    Black star less than 50 on amazon IMG_4962.JPG


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Wherever my bike takes me
    Posts
    1,609
    *peeks in*
    I would name it the "DID ITS JOB" helmet

    Hi all
    - Ev
    08 GSXR 600, my boo
    Everything looks better from inside a motorcycle helmet

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    9,894
    Quote Originally Posted by MotoQT View Post
    *peeks in*
    I would name it the "DID ITS JOB" helmet

    Hi all
    Whoa! Blast from the past!

    Good to see ya
    _________________ ____
    |--Papa Jon Racing--| | ; |____.
    |_..._...__________| _|..........|
    "(@)'(@)"""""|(@)(@)*****(@)

    CCS #19

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    look behind you.
    Posts
    13,192
    I'll agree it definitely did do it's job. Just my preference, I'd rather a well known brand name. Will it protect me as well? yes. am I paying for a name? sure I am. But to me, I'd prefer the helmet with higher ECE standards qualifications on it.

    Though I'm getting off track here. The rider walked away, and was smart for wearing a helmet to begin with. THIS is the crucial part. He lives because of his decision.
    I'm Nico now. Still slowly moving up.

    Boredom leads to bad things.... don't ask how I know.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    9,894
    Quote Originally Posted by BobTheBiker View Post
    Just my preference, I'd rather a well known brand name. I'd prefer the helmet with higher ECE standards qualifications on it.
    Interesting. What specific standards sway your decision?
    _________________ ____
    |--Papa Jon Racing--| | ; |____.
    |_..._...__________| _|..........|
    "(@)'(@)"""""|(@)(@)*****(@)

    CCS #19

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    look behind you.
    Posts
    13,192
    The ECE is a Euro standard that is higher than Snell, and in theory should provide a better level of protection.
    I'm Nico now. Still slowly moving up.

    Boredom leads to bad things.... don't ask how I know.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    9,894
    Quote Originally Posted by BobTheBiker View Post
    The ECE is a Euro standard that is higher than Snell, and in theory should provide a better level of protection.
    LMAO. "In theory". While the ECE does have a more numerous amount of tests that are administered, there is not a single real world study that conclusively proves the helmets they approve do better in crashes.

    Do you even know what they do differently than DOT? Ill give you a minute to google it.
    _________________ ____
    |--Papa Jon Racing--| | ; |____.
    |_..._...__________| _|..........|
    "(@)'(@)"""""|(@)(@)*****(@)

    CCS #19

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    In a van, Down by the river.
    Posts
    16,142
    So a $100.00 GMax Helmet will perform as well as my Carbon Kevlar Klim ?

    Quote Originally Posted by camel View Post
    You've really fucked up when they can see it from space.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_T41...feature=relmfu

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Westshore Area
    Posts
    4,375
    Cheap Vs. Expensive both will do their Job @ low Speed( falling off your bike in the drive way lol )

    High Speeds doesn't matter " Cheap Vs. Expensive " .. you'll die of impact / internal injurys !
    < N > RUN ?

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    9,894
    Quote Originally Posted by RCDAVE View Post
    So a $100.00 GMax Helmet will perform as well as my Carbon Kevlar Klim ?
    There's a great article from years ago where they compared almost every helmet for safety, and some of the sub $100 helmets came out in top. It's called "Blowing the lid off". There's parts I and II.
    _________________ ____
    |--Papa Jon Racing--| | ; |____.
    |_..._...__________| _|..........|
    "(@)'(@)"""""|(@)(@)*****(@)

    CCS #19

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    9,894
    Quote Originally Posted by Knine View Post
    Cheap Vs. Expensive both will do their Job @ low Speed( falling off your bike in the drive way lol )

    High Speeds doesn't matter " Cheap Vs. Expensive " .. you'll die of impact / internal injurys !
    Interesting that you brought that up.

    THIS ARTICLE is the best one I've found so far, in terms of easily explaining the different rating systems. But it also has a great blurb about how hard it is to replicate a real world crash. Definitely worth the read
    _________________ ____
    |--Papa Jon Racing--| | ; |____.
    |_..._...__________| _|..........|
    "(@)'(@)"""""|(@)(@)*****(@)

    CCS #19

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Westshore Area
    Posts
    4,375
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Jon View Post
    Interesting that you brought that up.

    THIS ARTICLE is the best one I've found so far, in terms of easily explaining the different rating systems. But it also has a great blurb about how hard it is to replicate a real world crash. Definitely worth the read

    I read, " Blowing The Lid Off " .. years ago.
    < N > RUN ?

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    9,894

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by Knine View Post
    I read, " Blowing The Lid Off " .. years ago.
    Which is why I said, in post #17, "There's a great article from years ago".
    _________________ ____
    |--Papa Jon Racing--| | ; |____.
    |_..._...__________| _|..........|
    "(@)'(@)"""""|(@)(@)*****(@)

    CCS #19

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •