Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are your thoughts?

What are your thoughts?

Since we are now a smaller group, mostly older and have years of riding experience on all different types of terrain, I'm curious as to what people's thoughts are on the amount of deaths in the motorcycle community over the past few years...

I know the sport has gotten more popular, I remember back when I started TSB I don't think there were nearly the amount of riders there are now, also I know we are older now, and the majority of the community is younger riders....

I still talk with a lot of people still very active in the community, and I hear stories about what caused accidents..
    I know one example was someone drinking and riding.....

I'm curious as to what you all think and feel? And do you all think that as a community we can help educate newer riders??
    Oh Look another SAE!!!!
    When the FCUK did we get Ice Cream!!!!!!!

OH LOOK>>>>> CUPCAKES...
    JGP Best 118 seconds
    HMIS Best
    2:19.424

Daytona................
    CCS AM 898
    Yes i hold a track record, and NO it will never be broken

Gitmo

The Hurt report came out in 1976 and found that vehicles turning left into a motorcyclist path was the number 1 cause of death. That fact holds true today and Might even be worse wIth the elderly driving well into their 90's and younger drivers doing more texting, Facebooking and Instagramming than paying attention to the road.

However, sportbikes today are almost 3 times as fast as motorcycles of yesteryear. Factor in a young, inexperienced rider riding on 160hp, doing triple digit speeds through traffic, and the crashes become so spectacular that it'll make the news every time. I mean, we've all seen the photo of the young kid with his head embedded in the back of an 18 wheeler, right?

So, left turning drivers are still our worst enemy. But us being our own enemy isn't far behind.
    _________________ ____
    |--Papa Jon Racing--| | ; |____.
    |_..._...__________| _|..........|
    "(@)'(@)"""""|(@)(@)*****(@)

CCS #19

So then is it really the person turning left? I mean lets look at the science of it, if the speed limit is 55, and someone is doing 110, double the speed limit, which isnt really all that impossible on say 19. The closing speed of the bike is much much faster, and a driver seeing a bike off in the distance would think that they have plenty of time to turn, assuming the bike is at or near posted legal speed limits, cuz well we all as drivers make that assumption every day. So when the car starts to turn left all of a sudden the bike is much much closer and the driver freezes or doesnt even realize and the rider now is in a position to slow. Which we know most throttle heros are great at opening that throttle, but lack the skills to brake.

So whose fault is this really?

Honestly from what I have seen and heard, i think the biggest problems these days arent so much the "old" people turning left, its this:
    1. Young inexperienced riders, riding over their skill level
    2. A mentality of being invincible
    3. Lack of proper training, or progression in bikes to learn valuable skills
    4. STUPID SHIT, too many times ive heard of people drinking at a bike night, and then dying
    5. Treating the street as a race track.
    Oh Look another SAE!!!!

OH LOOK>>>>> CUPCAKES...
    JGP Best 118 seconds
    HMIS Best

Daytona................
    CCS AM 898

Gitmo

In that scenario, I blame the speeding motorcyclist 100%. If you're traveling 120mph, you're covering over half a football field in 1 second. To insinuate that I should be able to anticipate that you're traveling that fast and I should react accordingly is asinine.

But I suspect that most motorcyclists that have a cage turn left in front of them are cruiser riders. And it's in that scenario that I would blame the cage almost every time. Cuz they ride slow/controlled/boring.
    _________________ ____
    |--Papa Jon Racing--| | ; |____.
    |_..._...__________| _|..........|
    "(@)'(@)"""""|(@)(@)*****(@)

CCS #19

I will give you a better answer later, but I will tell you I have been flamed by 75% of the people on Bay Area Riders for suggesting a smaller bike.
    "Beware of the lollipop of mediocrity. One lick and you'll suck forever!"Brian Willson

“I guess it's because we all want to believe that what we do is very important, that people hang on to our every word, that they care what we think. The truth is, you should consider yourself lucky if you even occasionally get to make someone - anyone - feel a little better. After that, it's all about the people that you've let into your life.”— J.D.

I'd say the issue remains a combo of bad drivers with rectal cranial inversions, and young kids with too much bike for their skill level. And Rico, this is PRECISELY why I left the bay area riders group. I hate that "oh a supersport 600 is fine for a beginner" mentality.
    I'm Nico now. Still slowly moving up.

Boredom leads to bad things.... don't ask how I know.

Simple answer: speed differential.

Not sure what can be done to correct it but vehicle to vehicle communication technology may help reduce some of the "left turn" incidents significantly. Rider inexperience/stupidity is something that is entirely up to the rider to address.
    "No good deed goes unpunished!"

05 ZG1000 Concours
    04 Z1000
    82 Seca Turbo X2
    78 KZ1000 Z1R

Never mind...Griff pretty much gave all the answer I was going to on post# 3....

#2, a mentality of being invincible AND knowing more than the older wiser rider. lol
    "Beware of the lollipop of mediocrity. One lick and you'll suck forever!"Brian Willson

“I guess it's because we all want to believe that what we do is very important, that people hang on to our every word, that they care what we think. The truth is, you should consider yourself lucky if you even occasionally get to make someone - anyone - feel a little better. After that, it's all about the people that you've let into your life.”— J.D.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Jon View Post
    ...But I suspect that most motorcyclists that have a cage turn left in front of them are cruiser riders. And it's in that scenario that I would blame the cage almost every time. Cuz they ride slow/controlled/boring.
    I resemble that remark.

Quote Originally Posted by RICO View Post
    I will give you a better answer later, but I will tell you I have been flamed by 75% of the people on Bay Area Riders for suggesting a smaller bike.
    You would not be wrong you sexy man beast.
    f*ck facebook

ha ha ha, that half where 90% of the stupid shit I see posted.
    Oh Look another SAE!!!!

OH LOOK>>>>> CUPCAKES...
    JGP Best 118 seconds
    HMIS Best

Daytona................
    CCS AM 898

Gitmo

Quote Originally Posted by griffinzx10 View Post
    ha ha ha, that half where 90% of the stupid shit I see posted.
    LOL, it is sad! There are some people who agree, but I would say those are the older wiser riders.....

Two Wheels !
    < N > RUN ?

Griff's #3 and Rico's comment sum it up for me. There are exceptionally few riders new to the street that should EVER be on a supersport, much less start on one. The small displacement bikes of today are brilliant entry bikes - and selling like mad. So well, even BMW is entering the market this year. The beauty of the 250-350 street bikes is one HAS to shift a LOT. That itself builds the fine muscle memory most of us old folks never even think about anymore, as it is just habit.

Of course doing double the speed limit on roads that has intersections protected by red lights is just a version of lottery. Do it long enough, and something is gonna be in your path.
    -------------------
    Thank your stars you're not that way...turn your back and walk away
    Don't even pause and ask them why...turn around and say goodbye

2008 Ninja 650r, aka Old Man Ninja

1) If you are riding at 2-3x the posted speed limit, drivers will not anticipate your closing speed; rider's fault
    2) Bikes are difficult to see, especially on crowded streets (signs, parked cars, landscapes, power poles, etc) Riders need to be aware of their surroundings, so what if the rider has the "right of way" we can put that on your tombstone if you wish.
    3) The Hurt study states there is a disproportionate amount of single vehicle crashes involving motos, this is pretty self explanatory, rider's fault.
    4) Our roads in Florida are so straight that local inexperienced riders often get humbled the first time they venture out someplace challenging. I wonder how many among us have run off on Ozello Trail.
    5) We old guys should probably do a better job mentoring the newbs.
    *) We need to take responsibility for our own safety.

t_bare
    Ducati Multistrada GT
    Ducati 998 Rubber Ducky
    Ducati Hypermotard 1100s Dark and Leggy
    KTM 530EXC Use-ta-waz-Stevewfl's
    Triumph Daytona 675 Track Bike!

all great points, thanks everyone for contributing...

Speaking of contributing....

Shameless Plug

http://tampasportbikes.com/forum/sho...Site-donations
    Oh Look another SAE!!!!

OH LOOK>>>>> CUPCAKES...
    JGP Best 118 seconds
    HMIS Best

Daytona................
    CCS AM 898

Gitmo

Get me some Business cards, I will put them in each shipment we do in the Central florida area, not to mention hand them out to all walk in customers. Maybe Nico (Bobthebiker) can do the same, since he works at Moto....I forgot the name. Sorry.

I can try, Where I'm at now I do a lot of older bikes, we've got maybe 5 sportbikes in our inventory.
    But if it'll help us get back to where we were, I'd be glad to. We need more good people again.
    I'm Nico now. Still slowly moving up.

Boredom leads to bad things.... don't ask how I know.

You know with all responses ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ said, I still think it boils down to Mother nature will always find a way to weed the gene pool.

Get me some Business cards, I will put them in each shipment we do in the Central florida area, not to mention hand them out to all walk in customers. Maybe Nico (Bobthebiker) can do the same, since he works at Moto....I forgot the name. Sorry.
    Ill try, its just hard for me to get out these days, not that i can't, just work has been busy, possibly job change coming up, and then I come home and spend some time with my daughter, then she goes to bed and I spend time with Annie, then Annie goes to bed, then i spend a few hours unwinding, and doing some stuff.. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by BobTheBiker View Post
    I can try, Where I'm at now I do a lot of older bikes, we've got maybe 5 sportbikes in our inventory.
    But if it'll help us get back to where we were, I'd be glad to. We need more good people again.
    Anything helps

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. T View Post
    You know with all responses ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ said, I still think it boils down to Mother nature will always find a way to weed the gene pool.
    Good Ol Darwinism
    Oh Look another SAE!!!!

OH LOOK>>>>> CUPCAKES...
    JGP Best 118 seconds
    HMIS Best

Daytona................
    CCS AM 898

Gitmo

Distractions!! bikers are f0cking off while riding. Just like operating any piece of machinery. Fk around not paying attention and cut off a limb or lose your life!