Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ideas for Growing the Site

Can we combine the meet-up/rid/etc/etc group to be a single "Happenings Forum"?

t_bare
    Ducati Multistrada GT
    Ducati 998 Rubber Ducky
    Ducati Hypermotard 1100s Dark and Leggy
    KTM 530EXC Use-ta-waz-Stevewfl's
    Triumph Daytona 675 Track Bike!

Quote Originally Posted by t_bare View Post
    Can we combine the meet-up/rid/etc/etc group to be a single "Happenings Forum"?

t_bare
    That is simple enough, i can just change the name, what do we want it to be? Events? Happenings? What going on?
    Oh Look another SAE!!!!
    When the FCUK did we get Ice Cream!!!!!!!

OH LOOK>>>>> CUPCAKES...
    JGP Best 118 seconds
    HMIS Best
    2:19.424

Daytona................
    CCS AM 898
    Yes i hold a track record, and NO it will never be broken

Gitmo

Quote Originally Posted by griffinzx10 View Post
    That is simple enough, i can just change the name, what do we want it to be? Events? Happenings? What going on?
    "Meets Ups, Rides, & Happenings"???

t_bare
    Ducati Multistrada GT
    Ducati 998 Rubber Ducky

"Meets Ups, Rides, & Happenings"???

t_bare
    Done
    Oh Look another SAE!!!!

OH LOOK>>>>> CUPCAKES...
    JGP Best 118 seconds
    HMIS Best

Daytona................
    CCS AM 898

Gitmo

Done
    Thanks, but; I guess my point was to get rid of the 4 sub-forums and combine them into 1.

t_bare
    Ducati Multistrada GT
    Ducati 998 Rubber Ducky

I'd be willing to contribute. Agree that some pruning needs to occur as well. Maybe invite a monthly speaker from area shops to do a 20, 30 or 60 minute live video. Have them talk about product, staff, rider education etc. CDN's like meerkat, periscope, ustream, youtube etc can be leveraged for low to no cost. Frankly i don't go to shops because I don't know them and I am sure people don't find TSB because they don't know about it. If live is too hard to start with then VoD via youtube etc the goal being to get the community energized through the full lifecycle of motorcycling. From there I think the in person socials, rides and shop visits.
    - Noah
    2012 848 Evo Corse SE w/ Full Termignoni

Thanks, but; I guess my point was to get rid of the 4 sub-forums and combine them into 1.

t_bare
    The original idea of the whole 4 sub forums was to reduce confusion on where to put threads.
    Does the 4 sub forums really make that much of a difference? I know most people just use the new post button, and that pulls up all the new posts from the last time you were on the site.
    Oh Look another SAE!!!!

OH LOOK>>>>> CUPCAKES...
    JGP Best 118 seconds
    HMIS Best

Daytona................
    CCS AM 898

Gitmo

Quote Originally Posted by 1kArghArgh View Post
    I'd be willing to contribute. Agree that some pruning needs to occur as well. Maybe invite a monthly speaker from area shops to do a 20, 30 or 60 minute live video. Have them talk about product, staff, rider education etc. CDN's like meerkat, periscope, ustream, youtube etc can be leveraged for low to no cost. Frankly i don't go to shops because I don't know them and I am sure people don't find TSB because they don't know about it. If live is too hard to start with then VoD via youtube etc the goal being to get the community energized through the full lifecycle of motorcycling. From there I think the in person socials, rides and shop visits.
    One word to describe your idea: "superboner"
    f*ck facebook

All I must say, is that TSB carried me through the worse 2 1/2 years of my life.
    And when Terri died, my TSB family was there.
    On a more upbeat note, I have met some of the greatest people on this site.
    Quote Originally Posted by PoppaNoDoz View Post
    ApogeeNow - you are more than a little scary man.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Jarhead View Post
    Tommy, you really scare me sometimes.
    2007 Plasma Blue ZX-1464
    1464cc Bored & Stroked Motor, Re-Flashed ECU, OER Full Hi-Exhaust,
    SpeedoHealer, FP Velocity Stacks, Under-Cut Gears & No Flies!

2005 Subaru Forester XT (AWD madness!)
    1997 34' Fleetwood Bounder (Chevy Big Block Power at its slowest!)

Quote Originally Posted by echoraven View Post
    One word to describe your idea: "superboner"
    lmao!

I believe using some of the free social/multimedia tools along with the forum's ability to organize info over the long term could prove to be a great lure for SWFL Shops and riders of all types. FB is out of control and there is way too much noise. Even if you had a FB group it is hard to classify and organize useful info.
    - Noah
    2012 848 Evo Corse SE w/ Full Termignoni

Too many software bugs between tapatalk, vbulletin, and broken themes. The site is desperate for a 2017 visual upgrade but who is qualified or has the time to do the development? It looks like it did almost 10 years ago. That's not a good thing if the interest is to stay appealing to new and younger members. Personally for me, at the end of the day too many friends were lost for me to keep making new ones just to watch them die before me. I enjoy all the older friends I have made but it's hard to keep this cycle of life taking more than it gives. Coming back here actually reminds me more of those gone. It's almost creepy. Sorry to be such a downer but this is just my perspective. I think it's nice to try and keep the site alive, but can be cached so the data can remain searchable. Google it to find out how.
    "Quality vs Quantity in life. We could all learn a lesson here. Live w/the passion Simo raced. Never know when your # is pulled. Ciao Sic" ~Ben Bostrom

Papa Jon, please see my comments in the mod section
    Oh Look another SAE!!!!

OH LOOK>>>>> CUPCAKES...
    JGP Best 118 seconds
    HMIS Best

Daytona................
    CCS AM 898

Gitmo

Papa Jon, please see my comments in the mod section
    Replied.
    _________________ ____
    |--Papa Jon Racing--| | ; |____.
    |_..._...__________| _|..........|
    "(@)'(@)"""""|(@)(@)*****(@)

CCS #19

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Jon View Post
    The WERA board is one of the only forums I know that is still active, and they have a very simple layout. This could be a good idea.

I am certainly on board with this suggestion
    We did a ride to Bare Assets a few years ago and there was a pregnant stripper. I suppose that could be a positive or negative, depending on your perspective...

I agree with the above about possibly renaming. There are not a lot of people that stick to sportbikes long term. The risks involved become more apparent and begin to outweigh the thrill of speed. When you're not doing the bridge runs anymore a sportbike for the street starts to lose some of its appeal. I've even moved on to a more comfortable ride, an FJ-09. The fear of jail now that I'm older and have a lot more to lose kept me tame on my last 1000RR, and I just didn't enjoy it as much tooling around under 6k RPMs.

As far as gaining members, I will start to link the site on my YouTube videos, and it might not be a bad idea to get a bulk order of TSB "business cards" that some of us can hand out to riders. I meet new riders every weekend, as we tend to stick together on the road. Even pulling up at a light I'd be happy to hand a biker a card that has the logo and website and says something like:

Group Rides. Bike Nights. Strippers.
    Come join the TSB family.

I would also be happy to help with being a mod or managing some social media stuff. I do that a lot at work now. Having a snapchat we could add the logo on the aforementioned cards. Definitely an instagram too.

Open to suggestions and willing to put in effort to help now that I am back in Tampa. When I first moved here in December 2010 I didn't know a single soul, found this site, and met a lot of great folks, which made my transition to a new city 1000 miles away much easier. Just a couple months after I got here I found myself sleeping in a small tent in the middle of the Daytona racetrack during bike week with Voodoo, Maureen, and Tiphanid. Fun times.
    Last edited by armystrongmd; 02-18-2017 at 10:43 AM.
    2015 FJ-09

Come check out my channel:
    www.youtube.com/skyline44512

got too much to say prt 1

Been a long time since I've posted, but I do have some experience with rebuilding a forum. Saw stuff that worked and stuff that didn't.
    Its a slow day at work, so...here's my 2 cents, take it or leave it.

First and foremost, local sites MUST be kept and owned locally. Too many times have I seen great local sites get bought by some big national brand and the last remaining bit gets driven into the ground. Local sites are awesome because they are local. You take that away and there really is no reason to come to the site anymore. Any picture, story, tech, article whatever, can be found on google and from some bigger national source.

Selling, if not to another local owner, is basically cashing out before the doors close.

...contribution sticky with a Paypal link and see what happens.
    Lots of sites have been successful with this. The hardest part is managing the funds. Get it set up for s subscription service and get people to sign up. A couple bucks a month can go a long way to keeping the site active.
    From what I've seen, the best ones have always been structured for different contribution levels. Maybe certain parts of the site are locked until you're a "gold member" or something like that.
    The idea is, if you want the contributors to give a little more, make it worth their while. If only a certain level can get to a certain forum, then post "members only" events in that section.

Also, when it comes to bringing funds in, make sure the ads are working for you. Yeah, sure most people use adblock anyway, but take advantage of the ads the best you can.
    Make sure you take advantage of google and get your page to the top of the search results. Some simple SEO tricks could make a big difference in traffic.
    Members are great, but don't forget, traffic is what makes the money.

In general? A bi-annual TSB picnic. In good months like March and October. Meet ups for rides to Daytona for Bike Week and Biketoberfest. Meet and eats at least once every 3 months.
    These are the types of things that make a local forum great. Without this, there is no reason to have the forum. Embrace it. Find some local places to meet ups. Maybe team up with some other car clubs and do a weekly meet or something. Sure this is about sport bikes, but getting out there and doing something is the point of it all right? So maybe there is a cool Nissan Z car club or something like that. It gets you out there and gets you doing something.
    Then build upon it. There are lots of local events that would be great to get out and go to. One of the local forums helps to host a "street wars" drag race event. Maybe show up to that. Point is, it doesn't always have to be 100% bikes and bikes only all of the time. See, and be seen. That's the point.

Personally? Bring in some moderators that actually own a bike and ride. For a long time now, the mods of this site either didn't/don't ride (or even have a f'ing bike) or have no desire to be part of a group other than their friends.
    This should go without saying. The mods are the life blood of the forum. Maybe they don't have to be involved in every little thing, but if they don't put the effort in, then you won't get anything out of it. The mods are the hosts for all of the events. Without them, nothing happens.
    I have no desire for a closed site or more rules. And while it's certainly a reason someone might join, it's just one more reason for most not to. So, come all and have a decent set of mods to keep things in line.
    The only way this works is only a portion of the site is closed. Goes back to the contributor levels. A free account might not get you the best hostspots or north run routes, but if you pay a few bucks, then we can let you into our little club and share the good stuff.
    Closing the site would drive traffic down even further, and starve it off. At that point, you might as well just start a facebook group.

Which leaves us where we are now: a small group of older adults who still ride and aren't addicted to Facebook.
    And unfortunately, that's what has happened to a majority of the local forums, regardless of their genre.
    To keep the site going, and bring it back from the edge, you gotta embrace the new demographic. Their are on facebook. So post some events on facebook. They are out and about. So get local businesses to host a bike night. post it on facebook. Link back to the forum. Members get a 10% discount on dinner. Or whatever. You know where the people are, get yourselves in front of those people.

--I think it all starts with getting a few new moderators that ride and are willing to ride with others. And also are excited to promote the site while out riding. This would certainly increase site traffic.
    --Somehow get the word out that TSB is for more than just sport bikers. Cruisers, dirt bikes, ATVs. Just bring it.
    --At least 1 TSB picnic (should the site stay open)
    These are great suggestions and if there are active members that want to step up, would be relatively easy to do.
    The thing is, it is all about marketing. When the site was younger, the marketing was easy. I remember how I found the site. I was a new rider, and just happened to google local forums and found it. Someone was hosting a north run or something. I joined in and bam, I was a member. Bought one of my bikes from here even. But now, with facebook and all that, it is evolve or die time. There is no reason this site doesn't have an active facebook page and even an instragram page. Want to spread the word about cruisers? Do a cruiser night at one of the hot spots. Bring someone out with a good camera. Take a bunch of pictures and hand out cards to tell people to come to this site to check the pictures out.
    Do the same for an off road adventure day with dirtbikes and ATVs.
    Rinse. And repeat.
    Post the event on Facebook. Promote it everywhere you can.
    Host the pictures on IG.
    Post them here on this site.
    Get people talking about it.

1) We need new users that are currently active motorcyclists
    That is the target right. But maybe broaden that out to people that think motorcycles are cool and just wanna hangout? Yes, new bikers would be ideal given the community, but to save the site, we need traffic. We need activity. We need any and all.
    2) Asking for money is not going to bring in new users
    True. New members don't want to pay. But the easiest way to get new members is to do stuff. Doing stuff costs money. Who's going to do the stuff? The old timers that have been here for years. Ask the old timers if they would pay. Then do some stuff. and drive in more people. Get the traffic up where it needs to be, while optimizing the ads and what not and maybe you'll get to the point where you won't need people to donate. Maybe. Or make donating a tiered thing. Do contests. Drawings. Raffles, whatever. Poker run fundraisers. Some for the site. Some for the winner. Some for charity. Tie it to some big thing like Toys for Tots or something and get some corporate sponsors. Bam. Big event.
    Start small, grow bigger.
    3) Closing the site to the current users that are not using the site is not going to bring in new users.
    bingo
    4) The board needs an overhaul, way too many forums. I.E. If someone sincerely asks Chad Wolf a question, they will most likely die of old age before they receive the answer they came for. You lost that user.
    Excellent point. Back when the site was huge, it made sense to organize it all. Now that we are smaller we need to create activity. Remember, at this stage in the game, it isn't so much about how the typical user uses the site now, it is about how the new user perceives the site. If I'm new and I'm checking it out and I go to a section that hasn't been active in 6 months, I'm going to feel like the site is dead and move on to better things. But if the sections are condensed. and there are at least a handful of active threads on there, then I might have some reason to stay.
    Combine that with the site needing a vastly updated look and feel and it could be perceived a lot better.
    Last edited by 240phil; 05-31-2017 at 12:26 PM. Reason: holy damn I type too much. lol

got too much to say prt 2

5) The board needs leadership that is part of the cycling scene, that is not a slight on you; but we need moderators and prolific posters that are actually riding, racing, or in the business.
    That's exactly it. In a nutshell, we need active people, being active. Both on the site, and out in the "real world" to have things to bring back to the site.
    That has been the biggest downfall of a lot of other local forums. They died because the core group that were active, stopped being active and they never replaced themselves.
    6) Ask your users the click on the banners occasionally to pay the bills.
    while this doesn't always work, it is a trick that many have taken advantage of. You didn't hear it from me, but other sites have "spammed" themselves with BS accounts, just to drum up traffic and get ad clicks.
    7) I do not know if the registration procedure is still closed and if the "themes" are still broken but those functions need to work. If our newbies can't post, they are not going to stick around.
    These are big things. The site has to work, and it has to be easy to work. Don't know what is involved, but a "join with facebook" button would be really powerful. Gotta get with the times. open up the registration. Who cares if you get spam. Spam adds to daily activity. Sure, the mods can keep it cleaned up, but I remember getting the biggest kick out of replying to spam posts just to get the spammer worked up. I'm sure it is far more automated now, but still. A post is a post. traffic is traffic.
    8) We have a lot of talented people on this board that I'd be willing to bet would be happy to contribute content, photos, gun reviews, blog, vblogs, & etc.
    Excellent point. It isn't always 100% bikes, 100% of the time. Get people writing content. Reviews. Write ups. ETC. Then SEO the crap out of it so when people google for a review on something, they find this site. Bikers like guns. Bikers like vlogs. bikers like strippers. bikers have a life outside of their 2 wheels. capitalize on it. Both on the site, and out in the world. If there are a group that are into guns, set something up at shoot straight for a shooting day.

9) Here is me on the racetrack. I am faster than you! Drama is Good
    Quote Originally Posted by ianjoub View Post
    What is a forum without drama???
    do not underestimate just how powerful this is. People love drama. Get a few grudge matches going. Build it up. Use it to promote a track day. Yeah, we all said we hated it back in the day, but you know what, it kept the site going. Don't be scared of it.

Ok, so the old Twisted Dark template.........as the registration page now is this template and should work better.
    Good. A step in the right direction. But remember, "we" don't want to register. We want to use. Make it easy. Look into faster ways to get someone a screen name and a password and able to post. That's how you get them hooked. If they have to put in the effort to get signed up, you'll loose the interest.
    Make the templates modern. Make them easy.
    Also, new members still need to be approved...due to the amount of spam...
    This was a big deal back in the day. BUT. now, we kinda don't care. Again, make it easy to get the new person ready to post. If it means a few more spam accounts. So be it. It drives a little bit of traffic. Gets you a few more posts and gives your mods something to do.
    When I'm new somewhere and feel the urge to post, it is because I have something I want to say. But it takes me 3, 5, 10 minutes to get the point of being able to post it, I say screw it, it isn't worth it, and I move on. BUT the places that have made it easy, I've gone back and replied to people. I've posted other stuff. If it is cool, I go back. That's what we are trying to do here. Stir up enough traffic that people will have something they want to say, and make it easy for them to say it.
    I can tell you as a member, I'd much rather tell people 5 times to fill out their profile instead of loosing that person all together because it took too long to get signed up

Quote Originally Posted by 1kArghArgh View Post
    I'd be willing to contribute. Agree that some pruning needs to occur as well. Maybe invite a monthly speaker from area shops to do a 20, 30 or 60 minute live video. Have them talk about product, staff, rider education etc. CDN's like meerkat, periscope, ustream, youtube etc can be leveraged for low to no cost. Frankly i don't go to shops because I don't know them and I am sure people don't find TSB because they don't know about it. If live is too hard to start with then VoD via youtube etc the goal being to get the community energized through the full lifecycle of motorcycling.
    This. OMG. This. This is an awesome idea. Gonna take some leg work. Gonna take some marketing. But do it. This is all great stuff. This is the kind of local content that you can't get from any other site, and is difficult to find on Facebook. Sure, the video might be there for a day, but it will work its way down the news feed never to be seen again. On a forum, its there. That's awesome. Use it. Take advantage of it.

Quote Originally Posted by ApogeeNow View Post
    All I must say, is that TSB carried me through the worse 2 1/2 years of my life.
    And when Terri died, my TSB family was there.
    On a more upbeat note, I have met some of the greatest people on this site.
    And this, this right here is what separates forums like these from any other social media place on the net. But to cultivate that, requires the in person, face to face, real world activities and events.

Quote Originally Posted by armystrongmd View Post
    We did a ride to Bare Assets a few years ago....
    Even if it is only every so often. and even if the group is only a small one, this is the kind of stuff that keep a forum a live. Everyone loves strippers. makes for a great story, fun pictures, and good content. Pick some places. Do a few "nights out" type things every so often. Don't let it be years and years between cool fun stuff. Don't let it get boring.
    I agree with the above about possibly renaming.
    Every big relaunch has a new name, new logo, fresh attitude. Might not be a bad idea if we're gonna make a big push and turn things around.
    ....and it might not be a bad idea to get a bulk order of TSB "business cards" that some of us can hand out to riders. I meet new riders every weekend, as we tend to stick together on the road. Even pulling up at a light I'd be happy to hand a biker a card that has the logo and website and says something like:

Group Rides. Bike Nights. Strippers.
    Come join the TSB family.
    Hit it right on the head. If TSB is out doing something, then it is easy to drive people back to the site. Even just weekend rides. Maybe get a few "official" ones together. A lot of this stuff is stuff that we are already doing. The only difference is a few business cards, or flyers, or stickers or whatever and the forum reaps the benefits.

I would also be happy to help with being a mod or managing some social media stuff. I do that a lot at work now. Having a snapchat we could add the logo on the aforementioned cards. Definitely an instagram too.
    exactly. embrace all that new fangled social media. use it to our advantage.

When I first moved here in December 2010 I didn't know a single soul, found this site, and met a lot of great folks, which made my transition to a new city 1000 miles away much easier. Just a couple months after I got here I found myself sleeping in a small tent in the middle of the Daytona racetrack during bike week with Voodoo, Maureen, and Tiphanid. Fun times.
    Another great example of the difference of a forum like this, and facebook. I'm not going to go camp out with strangers from a facebook group. But my forum buddies. Sure. Why not? I've got on rides with them. We've done dinner. Met the wife and the girlfriends. Helped tow one home. So a trip to Daytona doesn't seem that far off. That's what we are selling here. the community of it.
    Facebook, instagram, social media, all of that stuff that has "killed the forum" has just become tools for the successful forum to capitalize on. Use those tools to drive traffic to the site.
    Sure, it is gonna take a while. Not going to happen overnight. But if there are a few of us that are going to go for a ride anyway, why not benefit the site too, make it an event and market it? If a few of us are going to go to Biff Burger down in St Pete for bike night, why not take a ton of pictures, (maybe invite some stripper friends) hand out cards and post the pictures up on this site?

The whole point of being part of the community here is to do stuff with like minded people. Focus on that.

Redesigning the site is great. Make it easier for new people to become members. That's great. But at the end of the day, you've got to give me a reason to come here in the first place. Vendor videos would be great. Events would be awesome. Bike related or not. Get some active mods that want to do stuff. Get the active members to toss in a few bucks to make it happen.
    Last edited by 240phil; 05-31-2017 at 12:27 PM. Reason: wow... you really gonna read all that?

I stumbled upon this site looking for some basic info about my bike via the search bar. I found what i needed and a wealth of other useful information. What got my attention right off was the dates on the material. Current dates were lacking and at first impression, it gives the appearance of a dead site. I bookmarked and used this site as a library of sorts for repairs, etc. I mean all of this as no slight towards any active members still participating here, but instead just giving insight to a true first look. Even today, right now...1 user (me) and 109 guests. I can only assume that's 109 ppl using the library. 109 non-registering potential members. Seem's the traffic is there as the need for information and the search for like minded ppl is indeed endless. What kept me from registering was the initial appearance of a membership that moved on leaving basically reading material. I've never run or maintained a site and make no claims to even know where to begin aside from hello..so i have no useful ideas to put forth to...whomever ( i have no clue who's site this is ) as i have no idea what's actually possible from them or even if they have any interest left in the site itself. Again, this is only an observation from the edge and not meant to offend anyone in any way. I will say , some color would be nice. Eye candy. Background... perhaps a live chat...thing. Something that screams..Hey !! 109 guests...what are you waiting for ?? Register.

Just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by St-Michael View Post
    I stumbled upon this site looking for some basic info about my bike via the search bar. I found what i needed and a wealth of other useful information. What got my attention right off was the dates on the material. Current dates were lacking and at first impression, it gives the appearance of a dead site. I bookmarked and used this site as a library of sorts for repairs, etc. I mean all of this as no slight towards any active members still participating here, but instead just giving insight to a true first look. Even today, right now...1 user (me) and 109 guests. I can only assume that's 109 ppl using the library. 109 non-registering potential members. Seem's the traffic is there as the need for information and the search for like minded ppl is indeed endless. What kept me from registering was the initial appearance of a membership that moved on leaving basically reading material. I've never run or maintained a site and make no claims to even know where to begin aside from hello..so i have no useful ideas to put forth to...whomever ( i have no clue who's site this is ) as i have no idea what's actually possible from them or even if they have any interest left in the site itself. Again, this is only an observation from the edge and not meant to offend anyone in any way. I will say , some color would be nice. Eye candy. Background... perhaps a live chat...thing. Something that screams..Hey !! 109 guests...what are you waiting for ?? Register.

Just my 2 cents.
    The information from a 5+ years ago was bar none. This is the reason I originally was such a fan of this site.

Having PA was huge for TSB too.
    Follow the liter

Quote Originally Posted by St-Michael View Post

Just my 2 cents.
    All good feed back, the site used to have a chat window, that fell by the waste side a while back.
    The site has been around for about 12 years now, its had its ups and downs, plenty of drama and plenty of good information over the years.
    At one point, this site was probably the main resource for the bike community in tampa bay.
    Members have grown, started families, stopped riding, moved on, and facebook has pulled away a lot of activity. I mean lets be honest, most people spend most of their time on facebook anyway, so its just easier, you are already on there and get your notifications from the 100+ local motorcycle groups a person is part of.

Most forums have died, as a result of the Facebook groups.
    I hear people complain all the time about facebook, what it regulates and the bullshit, a privately owned would be a blessing you would think. Its more of getting the word out about this place again, a place with no big brother, less rules than the book, and getting people interested in it again.

We could update more, but at this point, its like putting lipstick on a pig, its still a pig, but with pretty red lipstick... We could make this site look like the best site in the world, but without activity and interested members, its still a dying site, LOL...
    Oh Look another SAE!!!!

OH LOOK>>>>> CUPCAKES...
    JGP Best 118 seconds
    HMIS Best

Daytona................
    CCS AM 898

Gitmo

Personally, i don't use facebook. I'm not socially mediated in the sense that i find all of that to be quite useless. I prefer a forum such as this as it's to the point vs having to wade through all the crap, etc.. Perhaps it's because i'm old-ish and if indeed that's the reason, well...not much i can do to change that. I'm not against a subscription fee or anything along those lines as i do realize everything has a cost, such as advertising, web page, etc. Bumper stickers even with a .com address. As i said before, i'm silly new here and i may be beating to death a horse that died long ago... but every time i look, there are 90+ visitors with random members that tells me there is an interest of some sort there. The same interest that brought me here. Something facebook is not offering. Our area has no shortage of cycle riders, ppl just like us, and perhaps a few are like me that had never heard of this site.