Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ideas for Growing the Site

Ideas for Growing the Site

Quote Originally Posted by griffinzx10 View Post
    That is the "options?"
    Its a hard situation, no matter how you look at it. I mean, going against Facebook and Twitter and text messages and every other social media app is no small fight. But it can be done.

It seems like these are the 3 most obvious options.

--Keep it open to low daily traffic while still pumping $$$ into it
    --Sell the site - something you've built and loved for the last 11 years
    --Ask members for donations to help keep it open

All 3 of these are hard just to think about, let alone execute. But given the choices, I'd go for the donations. Make it small - $1. Set up a PayPal account and see what happens. Cuz there's still a handful of TSB members of t there that would be willling to contribute. I'll be the 1st in line
    _________________ ____
    |--Papa Jon Racing--| | ; |____.
    |_..._...__________| _|..........|
    "(@)'(@)"""""|(@)(@)*****(@)

CCS #19

So let me ask this, the site traffic is roughly around 10-20 members per day, so that would be saying that there might be about 20-25 active members left.
    Would asking for a $1.00 contribution per member per month ($12.00 per year) be asking too much?

Also I have always been one for giving something for something, so those that would be ok with spending 12.00 of their own money per year to keep the site open, what would you all want to see for that contribution? Other than the site staying active.

I would love nothing more than to see the site thrive and grow, maybe not as much as it was, but to where there is some good daily traffic.

Back in the day when the site was really popular and busy, there was also the daily drama, to be honest, that is something that i don’t miss, I wouldn’t not be opposed to making this site a "Closed" site, to where only referrals can join. Thus keeping the site closed and private and invite only would also make it more special.

And have stricter rules.....

Aside from keeping the site around, what else would you all want to see??

Let’s hear some ideas.
    Oh Look another SAE!!!!
    When the FCUK did we get Ice Cream!!!!!!!

OH LOOK>>>>> CUPCAKES...
    JGP Best 118 seconds
    HMIS Best
    2:19.424

Daytona................
    CCS AM 898
    Yes i hold a track record, and NO it will never be broken

Gitmo

Red face

So let me ask this, the site traffic is roughly around 10-20 members per day, so that would be saying that there might be about 20-25 active members left.
    Would asking for a $1.00 contribution per member per month ($12.00 per year) be asking too much?
    I don't think so. But I'd start with a contribution sticky with a Paypal link and see what happens.

I have always been one for giving something for something, what would you all want to see for that contribution?
    In general? A bi-annual TSB picnic. In good months like March and October. Meet ups for rides to Daytona for Bike Week and Biketoberfest. Meet and eats at least once every 3 months. Possibly redesign the site to have a more inclusive feel to anyone that rides a motorcycle or ATV of any kind.

Personally? Bring in some moderators that actually own a bike and ride. For a long time now, the mods of this site either didn't/don't ride (or even have a f'ing bike) or have no desire to be part of a group other than their friends. BTW, all the things I listed "in general" could be accomplished by a good and engaged set of moderators.

Back in the day when the site was really popular and busy, there was also the daily drama, to be honest, that is something that i don?t miss, I wouldn?t not be opposed to making this site a "Closed" site, to where only referrals can join. Thus keeping the site closed and private and invite only would also make it more special. And have stricter rules
    I have no desire for a closed site or more rules. And while it's certainly a reason someone might join, it's just one more reason for most not to. So, come all and have a decent set of mods to keep things in line.

Aside from keeping the site around, what else would you all want to see??
    As I've typed all of the above, in my mind I never forget of the target audience of a sportbike. It's a young, dramatic, balls to the wall, ten feet tall and bullet proof teen or young adult. That new rider will buy a new, $10,000+ bike (and it's financed, because they have no cash), crash out early on, default on the loan and get out of the game forever due to a probably near death experience. This rider is the one that TSB had the most experience with.

But then there's the other type of rider that this site has entertained. This is someone who pushes the limits early on, is skilled or lucky enough to make it through their early 20's relatively healthy/minimal crashes and not in a deep financial hole. This rider typically progresses as they age. They get out of the sportbike phase into the cruiser segment and stays there for the remainder of their riding pilgrimage. This has happened with some of TSBs own members and they seem to be the ones that still post today.

Which leaves us where we are now: a small group of older adults who still ride and aren't addicted to Facebook. LOL

Final suggestions?
    --I think it all starts with getting a few new moderators that ride and are willing to ride with others. And also are excited to promote the site while out riding. This would certainly increase site traffic.
    --Somehow get the word out that TSB is for more than just sport bikers. Cruisers, dirt bikes, ATVs. Just bring it.
    --At least 1 TSB picnic (should the site stay open)
    _________________ ____

CCS #19

I do not pretend to be an expert in these matters so by all means if your experience is different than go with your gut.

1) We need new users that are currently active motorcyclists
    2) Asking for money is not going to bring in new users
    3) Closing the site to the current users that are not using the site is not going to bring in new users.
    4) The board needs an overhaul, way too many forums. I.E. If someone sincerely asks Chad Wolf a question, they will most likely die of old age before they receive the answer they came for. You lost that user.
    5) The board needs leadership that is part of the cycling scene, that is not a slight on you; but we need moderators and prolific posters that are actually riding, racing, or in the business.
    6) Ask your users the click on the banners occasionally to pay the bills.
    7) I do not know if the registration procedure is still closed and if the "themes" are still broken but those functions need to work. If our newbies can't post, they are not going to stick around.
    8) We have a lot of talented people on this board that I'd be willing to bet would be happy to contribute content, photos, gun reviews, blog, vblogs, & etc.

DSC_2428.jpg
    9) Here is me on the racetrack. I am faster than you! Drama is Good

Kindest regards,
    t_bare
    Ducati Multistrada GT
    Ducati 998 Rubber Ducky
    Ducati Hypermotard 1100s Dark and Leggy
    KTM 530EXC Use-ta-waz-Stevewfl's
    Triumph Daytona 675 Track Bike!

Jon and T-Bare, i just read both of your posts real quick and i want to at least acknowledge both posts now, and come back later when I have had a chance to re-read and reply..

But thank you both, those are both great replies and all very doable, and T-Bare, your comment, i dont take as a slight on me, fact is fact, LOL...

I am going to come back to these posts later, read, re-read, and reply...

But please anyone else, keep the suggestions coming.
    Oh Look another SAE!!!!

OH LOOK>>>>> CUPCAKES...
    JGP Best 118 seconds
    HMIS Best

Daytona................
    CCS AM 898

Gitmo

What is a forum without drama???
    2001 CR250r
    1983 XR350r Evo racer!
    2007 CRF450x
    1973 Midget
    .... and counting

As someone who has not participated much but checks in on the site almost daily since joining my opinion is Keep it Simple Stupid. I would not mind making a small annual contribution to a site where I can find an upcoming ride and go join in if I like; buy and sell to local riders; possibly hook up with those who have some areas of expertise above mine; or share my limited expertise with the younger generation coming into the sport.

I always got the impression that there was a core group that this site was created for but never really got the impression of anyone being stand-offish or unwelcoming to those of us not in the original founding band of riders. I think that while there seems to have been some drama over the years, I have never let it keep me from checking in on a regular basis.

I know it is a lot of work to moderate and manage a forum; maybe making it a closed group would make it easier, so again the simpler the better. It will never be the ultimate resource to meet every rider's needs, so don't overthink it. Let's get together and ride every once and a while, help each other out when needed, and keep some classified space for parts and gear. I'm in for contributing to keep the site alive.
    "No good deed goes unpunished!"

05 ZG1000 Concours
    04 Z1000
    82 Seca Turbo X2
    78 KZ1000 Z1R

Quote Originally Posted by vfrvtec View Post
    I'm still waiting to hear what the "Gitmo" in your signature references.
    GITMO was coined one night while drinking with ToddFather, we joked about waterboarding a bitch, till she passed out, then fucking her in the ass to bring her back to, and waterboarding again, rinse and repeat, LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Jon View Post
    I don't think so. But I'd start with a contribution sticky with a Paypal link and see what happens.- That is simple enough, and the site has it's own paypal account

In general? A bi-annual TSB picnic. In good months like March and October. Meet ups for rides to Daytona for Bike Week and Biketoberfest. Meet and eats at least once every 3 months. Possibly redesign the site to have a more inclusive feel to anyone that rides a motorcycle or ATV of any kind.
    All good ideas and yes people loved to do those things, but they take time and $$ to organize, I can help out when and were I can, but the past couple of years I have been so swamped with work and life, there hasn't been much time for anything else.
    I guess we can start by trying to at the very least a monthly Meet and Eat, weekly would be too much and once every 3 months too little, but i think right now, once a month could be good. And if those start to work out, we can maybe plan a picnic or something come March or April, or wait till October, give it a good 8 months of M&E's
    Redesign the site isnt a problem either, I like the idea of making it more inclusive to other bikers, and off road stuff.

Personally? Bring in some moderators that actually own a bike and ride. For a long time now, the mods of this site either didn't/don't ride (or even have a f'ing bike) or have no desire to be part of a group other than their friends. BTW, all the things I listed "in general" could be accomplished by a good and engaged set of moderators.
    I agree 100% with this, and I am to blame as well, while i still own "a bike" I havent ridden in years, been wanting to get it running again, and even if for the occasional ride. But I agree, having moderators who are still active in the community is important, we need to discuss recommendations for those who would want to be mods.

I have no desire for a closed site or more rules. And while it's certainly a reason someone might join, it's just one more reason for most not to. So, come all and have a decent set of mods to keep things in line.
    Good points

As I've typed all of the above, in my mind I never forget of the target audience of a sportbike. It's a young, dramatic, balls to the wall, ten feet tall and bullet proof teen or young adult. That new rider will buy a new, $10,000+ bike (and it's financed, because they have no cash), crash out early on, default on the loan and get out of the game forever due to a probably near death experience. This rider is the one that TSB had the most experience with.

But then there's the other type of rider that this site has entertained. This is someone who pushes the limits early on, is skilled or lucky enough to make it through their early 20's relatively healthy/minimal crashes and not in a deep financial hole. This rider typically progresses as they age. They get out of the sportbike phase into the cruiser segment and stays there for the remainder of their riding pilgrimage. This has happened with some of TSBs own members and they seem to be the ones that still post today.
    Another Excellent point.

Which leaves us where we are now: a small group of older adults who still ride and aren't addicted to Facebook. LOL

Final suggestions?
    --I think it all starts with getting a few new moderators that ride and are willing to ride with others. And also are excited to promote the site while out riding. This would certainly increase site traffic.
    --Somehow get the word out that TSB is for more than just sport bikers. Cruisers, dirt bikes, ATVs. Just bring it.
    --At least 1 TSB picnic (should the site stay open)
    PapaJon, all great points, please see my comments in red....

Quote Originally Posted by t_bare View Post
    I do not pretend to be an expert in these matters so by all means if your experience is different than go with your gut.

1) We need new users that are currently active motorcyclists
    2) Asking for money is not going to bring in new users
    3) Closing the site to the current users that are not using the site is not going to bring in new users.
    4) The board needs an overhaul, way too many forums. I.E. If someone sincerely asks Chad Wolf a question, they will most likely die of old age before they receive the answer they came for. You lost that user.
    5) The board needs leadership that is part of the cycling scene, that is not a slight on you; but we need moderators and prolific posters that are actually riding, racing, or in the business.- I didnt take this as a slight on me, its FACT, and fact is fact, whether or not how it makes me feel, LOL.
    6) Ask your users the click on the banners occasionally to pay the bills.
    7) I do not know if the registration procedure is still closed and if the "themes" are still broken but those functions need to work. If our newbies can't post, they are not going to stick around.
    8) We have a lot of talented people on this board that I'd be willing to bet would be happy to contribute content, photos, gun reviews, blog, vblogs, & etc.

DSC_2428.jpg
    9) Here is me on the racetrack. I am faster than you! Drama is Good

Kindest regards,
    t_bare
    t_bare, all great points as well, which flow nicely with Jon's comments

Ok, so this all sounds promising, and I am all for trying so lets work on getting the ball rolling on this.
    Oh Look another SAE!!!!

OH LOOK>>>>> CUPCAKES...
    JGP Best 118 seconds
    HMIS Best

Daytona................
    CCS AM 898

Gitmo

I would be willing to pay $20-$25 a year.
    Maybe new members get a 1 year membership for free to try out the site or fun simple stuff for free and a members section.
    I know the COG cite is $37 a year and they have thousands of members, but once a year they send a member to Europe and the Europe group sends one here.
    Maybe a track day? That is if we get enough people back on here.
    "Beware of the lollipop of mediocrity. One lick and you'll suck forever!"Brian Willson

“I guess it's because we all want to believe that what we do is very important, that people hang on to our every word, that they care what we think. The truth is, you should consider yourself lucky if you even occasionally get to make someone - anyone - feel a little better. After that, it's all about the people that you've let into your life.”— J.D.

The posts from the old thread with ideas about keeping this site going, have been moved into this new thread, lets keep things going.
    Oh Look another SAE!!!!

OH LOOK>>>>> CUPCAKES...
    JGP Best 118 seconds
    HMIS Best

Daytona................
    CCS AM 898

Gitmo

I really love the idea of changing the name and theme of the site to include all riders as opposed to a specific segment that comes and goes, and lately has been going a lot. Also a great point about the kids who crash and default on their loan, I always said the predatory lending that goes on at dealers would turn off more people to the sport.

I also like the idea of removing the threads, the Chad Wolfe thread, that is clearly dead. He's gone, he might of brought people to this site some time ago but now he's not.

I'd be willing to donate to keep the site going

Simplify the front page. In the interim, throw all threads, by default, into the general section.

STRIPPERS!!! That always brings in traffic.
    2001 CR250r
    1983 XR350r Evo racer!
    2007 CRF450x
    1973 Midget
    .... and counting

Quote Originally Posted by ianjoub View Post
    Simplify the front page. In the interim, throw all threads, by default, into the general section.
    The WERA board is one of the only forums I know that is still active, and they have a very simple layout. This could be a good idea.

STRIPPERS!!! That always brings in traffic.
    I am certainly on board with this suggestion
    _________________ ____

CCS #19

All great points. I'd say name change is in order but keep long time members status where they are. Are you able to completely overhaul? Tampabaybikers.com? Tampabikers.com? Tampariders.com? Floridaridersgroup.com? Spitballing here.

Of course I'm up for a donation. Maybe to tiers of memberships. I'd like to pay a premium level and not get bitched at for posting YouTube videos. I also have a large following on FB, IG and YouTube and can help promote the overhauled site. Lets do this!
    2016 Harley Davidson Forty Eight (CURRENT)
    2015 Ducati 899 Panigale (CURRENT)
    2012 Ducati Monster 1100evo (sold)

Some great point here.

rename the site to a more inclusive name.
    Is there some perks on the site that could be allowed or paying customers? $20 to $25 a year is not unreasonable.
    Strippers......yea I will run with that. Ian's right who doesn't love Strippers and Cupcakes......
    Active Mods is also a win. JC you are at where I was up until about a year ago. My daughter is now 9 and rides on the back with me. life is a bit easier. (and she loves going to the track).
    2 Buells, 1 04 XB12S and 1 XB12R

AM CCS# 331 - 04 Buell XB12R

Quote Originally Posted by t_bare
    I do not know if the registration procedure is still closed and if the "themes" are still broken but those functions need to work. If our newbies can't post, they are not going to stick around
    How did I miss this? This is been an issue for a long time and we've heard numerous complaints about it. I am sure it has been detrimental to the site. So, this problem should be the first to be fixed. Otherwise, new members will show up, get frustrated and leave before they even get started.
    _________________ ____

CCS #19

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Jon View Post
    How did I miss this? This is been an issue for a long time and we've heard numerous complaints about it. I am sure it has been detrimental to the site. So, this problem should be the first to be fixed. Otherwise, new members will show up, get frustrated and leave before they even get started.
    Ok, so the old Twisted Dark template was causing the issues, that is no long a an option, as i have disabled that template, this should also take care of the new registrations, as the registration page now is this template and should work better.

Also, new members still need to be approved, which i do on a daily basis, the reason for that is due to the amount of spam accounts that hit the site.
    Oh Look another SAE!!!!

OH LOOK>>>>> CUPCAKES...
    JGP Best 118 seconds
    HMIS Best

Daytona................
    CCS AM 898

Gitmo

Ok, so the old Twisted Dark template was causing the issues, that is no long a an option, as i have disabled that template, this should also take care of the new registrations, as the registration page now is this template and should work better.

Also, new members still need to be approved, which i do on a daily basis, the reason for that is due to the amount of spam accounts that hit the site.
    I don't think safeguarding against spam is going to stop new members from joining. I just think the site needs a more inclusive feel to it, start adding some dual sport, motox, supermoto, crusier, or whatever different type riding to make it more inclusive.

I have the blue and white template, but have to use the black and orange to post new threads.
    "Beware of the lollipop of mediocrity. One lick and you'll suck forever!"Brian Willson

“I guess it's because we all want to believe that what we do is very important, that people hang on to our every word, that they care what we think. The truth is, you should consider yourself lucky if you even occasionally get to make someone - anyone - feel a little better. After that, it's all about the people that you've let into your life.”— J.D.

Quote Originally Posted by gixxerfrank View Post
    I don't think safeguarding against spam is going to stop new members from joining. I just think the site needs a more inclusive feel to it, start adding some dual sport, motox, supermoto, crusier, or whatever different type riding to make it more inclusive.
    That is something we can incorporate with new sections on the site, we just need need to get the word out to draw those riders to the site and have them start posting.
    Oh Look another SAE!!!!

OH LOOK>>>>> CUPCAKES...
    JGP Best 118 seconds
    HMIS Best

Daytona................
    CCS AM 898

Gitmo