Thread: Crash report with gear review from 07/25/15

Red face Crash report with gear review from 07/25/15

Yes, I know it happened months ago, but it's worth the read.

**quick bit of info - CCS races are always on weekends (except Daytona). Saturday's are used for practice and Sunday is race day**

So, my crash happened during practice on Saturday, July 25th at PBIR in turn 5. It's a high speed, right handed sweeper where your speed is well over 50mph. I lowsided on my CBR 1000 (pictured below) which I've been riding/racing for the last 2 years. I really don't have a good reason for crashing other than I know I was riding on used tires, and I pushed them too hard. Also, it had rained that morning, with a dry race line in the afternoon. But there may have been a damp spot I didn't see.

Last edited by Papa Jon; 11-28-2015 at 02:01 PM.
    _________________ ____
    |--Papa Jon Racing--| | ; |____.
    |_..._...__________| _|..........|
    "(@)'(@)"""""|(@)(@)*****(@)

CCS #19

I'll start the review with me. The impact was minimal, and all I did was slide into the grass. The only real injury I sustained was a banged up right thumb from trying to hold on to the bike as we slid. The bike on the other hand..................................
    _________________ ____

CCS #19

We are glad your Okay, but I want to see the bike! When we rebuilding!
    "Beware of the lollipop of mediocrity. One lick and you'll suck forever!"Brian Willson

“I guess it's because we all want to believe that what we do is very important, that people hang on to our every word, that they care what we think. The truth is, you should consider yourself lucky if you even occasionally get to make someone - anyone - feel a little better. After that, it's all about the people that you've let into your life.”— J.D.

Now to the bike.........

The bike had - gasp! - non high dollar, no cut sliders on each side, with slider spools in the rear. And since this was a high speed, low side crash (in the beginning), the bike used these contraptions to the fullest. And guess what? They held up like a champ, did not break or bend, and saved the case covers and plastics. However, during the slide, the bike became bored and decided to try out acrobatics, resulting in damage to the bolt on parts, and lots of cosmetic damage.

Last edited by Papa Jon; 11-28-2015 at 02:05 PM.
    _________________ ____

CCS #19

On to the gear................

Helmet was a HJC CL-17, and it cost a whoppin' $150. I didn't spend $600 on a Shoei/Arai that would've done the exact same thing. And to say it did its' job well is one hell of an understatement.

_________________ ____

CCS #19

Now to the one piece suit. Brace yourselves - - - SEDICI!!! NOOOOO!!! NOT CHEAP ASS SEDICI!!!

So, I was at CycleGear looking at Dainese suits when the sales guy told me about a $600 Sedici that was on clearance for under $200. I almost bought 2 based just on the price. Anyhoo, the suit was forced to get up close and personal with the pavement of turn 5 at a high rate of speed and the only place it suffered true damage was in the mesh area of the upper arm. In the 1st pic, you can see the damage on the inside of the right bicep area. But even that damage is barely noticeable. All the other damage was just cosmetic. There was no stitch tearing, or separation at crucial joints. The suit rocked out with its cock out and protected my ass (literally). It's still in great shape, and I plan on wearing it again.

Last edited by Papa Jon; 11-28-2015 at 03:27 PM.
    _________________ ____

CCS #19

That only leaves gloves and boots. I wear Cortech gloves that I bought off of eBay and AlpineStars boots I bought on sale at CycleGear. They did so well, that I didn't even take any photos of them.
    _________________ ____

CCS #19

Now, the bike was taken to Chad for inspection and repair. He did his thing, gave it back to me, and I swear it was better than when I bought it. The guy is just awesome and his meticulousness is something to be admired.

I put it back in street plastics and have been riding it regularly since.
    _________________ ____

CCS #19

And there you have it. A frugal racer whose "cheap" bike safety equipment and "cheap" personal gear defied the odds. And I won't be changing my ways any time soon
    _________________ ____

CCS #19

Cool

As for racing, I had to take the last few months off due to scheduling conflicts. But, I'm good to go now and there's one race left at Homestead next weekend. There's also a track day at Jennings that weekend I'm considering. I've got this new toy I need to try out when I decide where to go (just gotta get my number stickers)

My only problem is that this bike has an obnoxious exhaust that I know won't be allowed at Jennings. So, I'll probably end up in Homestead. Regardless, hope to see some of you out there!! ***cough - Todd, Katie - cough***

Last edited by Papa Jon; 11-28-2015 at 03:29 PM.
    _________________ ____

CCS #19

I'll be at Jennings on Dec 5 for the Ed Bargy Race School. We'll stay through Sunday if the weather is good.

Come on up.

t_bare
    Ducati Multistrada GT
    Ducati 998 Rubber Ducky
    Ducati Hypermotard 1100s Dark and Leggy
    KTM 530EXC Use-ta-waz-Stevewfl's
    Triumph Daytona 675 Track Bike!

Quote Originally Posted by t_bare View Post
    I'll be at Jennings on Dec 5 for the Ed Bargy Race School. We'll stay through Sunday if the weather is good.

Come on up.
    The exhaust in the new bike is stupid loud and I know it won't meet dB level requirements at Jennings. And I want be purchasing a new exhaust until I do some research as to what goes best with this year bike. So, I'd love to do a Jennings day, but I don't think I'll be able to

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Jon View Post
    Now, the bike was taken to Chad for inspection and repair. He did his thing, gave it back to me, and I swear it was better than when I bought it. The guy is just awesome and his meticulousness is something to be admired...
    I personally think Chad has a connection to motorcycles that mere mortals cannot understand. It's almost as the bikes are happy to be fondled by Chad. It sounds idiotic, but I'm sure anyone that has taken their bike to Chad will agree with this.

If you see or hear from him, let him know if he's interested I'm in need of 12k servicing for my bonnie...
    f*ck facebook

good write up PJ
    Oh Look another SAE!!!!
    When the FCUK did we get Ice Cream!!!!!!!

OH LOOK>>>>> CUPCAKES...
    JGP Best 118 seconds
    HMIS Best
    2:19.424

Daytona................
    CCS AM 898
    Yes i hold a track record, and NO it will never be broken

Gitmo

Quote Originally Posted by echoraven View Post
    If you see or hear from him, let him know if he's interested I'm in need of 12k servicing for my bonnie...
    Ill be taking the new bike to him in the next few weeks for suspension work and I'll let him know
    _________________ ____

CCS #19

Pictures of the bike back together?
    "Beware of the lollipop of mediocrity. One lick and you'll suck forever!"Brian Willson

“I guess it's because we all want to believe that what we do is very important, that people hang on to our every word, that they care what we think. The truth is, you should consider yourself lucky if you even occasionally get to make someone - anyone - feel a little better. After that, it's all about the people that you've let into your life.”— J.D.

Quote Originally Posted by RICO View Post
    Pictures of the bike back together?
    Nothing new Rico. Same all black fairings that I had for the last 2 years.
    _________________ ____

CCS #19

Quote Originally Posted by griffinzx10 View Post
    good write up PJ
    I figure that everyone loves a good crash story

But I also want people to understand that there are a lot of incorrect stereotypes about cheaper gear. This was a high speed lowside where I slid all the way across that section of the track. I went down on the inside and ended up in the grassy area on that outside portion of the turn. And judging by the damage to my helmet, I apparently did a little tumbling, too. So, to say the integrity of this "cheap Sedici" suit was tested is an understatement. And it protected me like a mofo. I literally had no injuries except that right thumb pain which was caused by the impact. I have no doubt in my mind that a custom $1000 suit wouldn't have done any better.

So, don't always believe the hearsay, cheap priced gear dosent always mean you'll be protected any less.
    Last edited by Papa Jon; 12-01-2015 at 08:41 PM.
    _________________ ____

CCS #19

but... More expensive gear tends to hold up better in a crash.

Seems tend to break loose on cheaper gear... From what I have seen.
    Follow the liter