Thread: I had a get-off

I had a get-off

On Friday morning October 23, 2015 approximately 7:30 am, as I was riding into work a lady cut me off in my lane. As I tried to avoid the impeding crash, I grabbed the front brake and swerved which led me to high-side the bike at around 70mph. The front end washed out and the bike came down on the left flicking me off over the handelbars landing on the back of my helmet and right side before skidding out of the inside lane across the shoulder and into the grassy median. I was hit by the bike as we were rolling through the grass and I finally came to rest after tumbling several times.

A nurse from Bayfront who was driving by stopped to check on me and keep me stable as a few other motorists got out to check on me as well. EMT was there within 10 minutes of the crash and had cut everything off of me because my chief complaint was the inability to breathe without massive pain. I was in the ambulance and in the Bayfront trauma center before 8am. I had sustained a dislocated right hip and left shoulder, 5 broken ribs, road rash from my right hip to the center of my lower back about halfway down my buttocks and loads of bruises and contusions along my lower back/right hip as well.

The lady that cut me off eventually stopped further up the Interstate and called in FHP to report having caused the accident. She was cited for improper lane change which resulted in my crash. The FHP officer was very thorough with his accident investigation and without my version of events was able to determine exact speeds and distances and how the crash happened. Was pretty neat to see his evidence collaborate with my account of the event, with diagrams and everything (got to see a copy of the report from my attorney).

The bike fared pretty well for being flipped and rolled at 70mph. Damages to the rear seat fairings and taillight, right side rear set broken, right side handlebar/lever/controls/brake resiviour is bent/broken. Right side frame sliders were bent, the left side exhaust was crushed and there were scrapes along the stator cover and the forks may be bent or tweaked. Mostly cosmetic damages although there were some decent part damages too...the naked bike held up pretty well. She is up at Corsa Moto works now, and will hopefully be repaired soon. I dont know if the bike suffered any internal damage, but it did start up at the tow yard. There was a funny metallic ratteling sound coming from the motor that wasn't there before though, so Im a bit worried about that.

My recovery is going very well. Left shoulder still hurts massively, as well as my entire right side and right hip (all broken ribs are on the right...3-4-5-6-7 all fractured but in-place) breathing, coughing, sneezing, pooping, walking...pretty much any kind of movement really aggravates the ribs and hurts like hell. Thank God for sulfadiazine cream, as it has reduced the road rash from the size of a football down to the size of a half-dollar in just 11 days. So Ive got about 1/3rd of a new ass, lol, fresh flesh. Im so fortunate that nothing else happened and this was the extent of my damages as it could have been much much worse. My boss jokes with me saying the I am all out of guardian angels. My g/f thinks im like a cat, and have only got 6 lives left.

Im pretty stoked to still be here though, and will be back in the saddle again as soon as I am fully recovered, although I am sure I will never commute on 2's again. I will stick to the group rides, RTE's, and cruises because there is just too many stupid ass people not paying enough attention to risk riding in to work anymore. It would be one thing if I was riding around all fast-n-furious, it kills me that all 3 accidents ive had on motorcycles in the past 2yrs have occurred when I was safely following the rules of the road, ie: not speeding and riding like im in a MotoGP race...just riding along obeying the speed limit like I was in a cage.

Anyways, I know a few of you may have already seen this on FB, so I though I would share with the rest of the group. I am alive, I am recovering well. I will be out on 2's again hopefully before the end of this year so I can go an a few rides before it gets too cold for me.

Glad to hear your heading for a full recovery!
    "Beware of the lollipop of mediocrity. One lick and you'll suck forever!"Brian Willson

“I guess it's because we all want to believe that what we do is very important, that people hang on to our every word, that they care what we think. The truth is, you should consider yourself lucky if you even occasionally get to make someone - anyone - feel a little better. After that, it's all about the people that you've let into your life.”— J.D.

sorry to hear about this, glad you are ok.
    Oh Look another SAE!!!!
    When the FCUK did we get Ice Cream!!!!!!!

OH LOOK>>>>> CUPCAKES...
    JGP Best 118 seconds
    HMIS Best
    2:19.424

Daytona................
    CCS AM 898
    Yes i hold a track record, and NO it will never be broken

Gitmo

Man sorry to hear that. Glad you're doing better. Hopefully you recover quickly.
    1999 Honda CBR 600F4 -- Yellow & Black w/ Stage 1 Jet kit, K&N Filter and Two Brother's Exhaust

2005 Mercedes E55 AMG -- Blue w/ Tune, Pulley, Heat Exchanger, K&N Filter // 12.00@117 mph

Sucks to hear, glad you're okay though... heal up.
    Follow the liter

Wow. Your fortunate that the cager decided to take responsibility. Glad your doing well. Been thinking myself about commuting on my big bike, this is giving me pause.
    f*ck facebook

Damn Keoni, sorry to hear that but damn glad you are relatively okay. That is a pretty good clip to get off. Hate the bike exhaust is crushed, as that bike/exhaust combo you have is one of the best sounding bikes I've ever heard.
    -------------------
    Thank your stars you're not that way...turn your back and walk away
    Don't even pause and ask them why...turn around and say goodbye

2008 Ninja 650r, aka Old Man Ninja

I am unhappy you wrecked, I am glad that you survived, I am glad that the woman eventually stopped,
    and I pray for a quick and complete healing. Isaiah 53:5d!
    Quote Originally Posted by PoppaNoDoz View Post
    ApogeeNow - you are more than a little scary man.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Jarhead View Post
    Tommy, you really scare me sometimes.
    2007 Plasma Blue ZX-1464
    1464cc Bored & Stroked Motor, Re-Flashed ECU, OER Full Hi-Exhaust,
    SpeedoHealer, FP Velocity Stacks, Under-Cut Gears & No Flies!

2005 Subaru Forester XT (AWD madness!)
    1997 34' Fleetwood Bounder (Chevy Big Block Power at its slowest!)

Get offs suck. So, heal up and get back on quick
    _________________ ____
    |--Papa Jon Racing--| | ; |____.
    |_..._...__________| _|..........|
    "(@)'(@)"""""|(@)(@)*****(@)

CCS #19

Oh no! I think the insurance is going to total my bike. I need some help, because I don't wanna get rid of the bike or get a salvaged title.

Talk to your bike shop and see if they will write you up some receipts from previous purchases. Exhaust, Alarm, Tires... You need to make the value of your bike more. If insurance companies think it will take (I think its 70%, I cant remember) of what the bike is worth its a total. So... Bring up the value of your bike to make the fix cost a smaller percentage.

You can also look at the estimate they are getting from whatever shop its at and work with the shop to bring the cost of repair down. Also making that % less.

DO NOT SETTLE unless you are made happy... You have been inconvenienced by this and its not your fault. Insurance companies will try their ass off to dictate what you need to do... Its all BS.

Good luck brother.
    Follow the liter

UPDATES!!!! The insurance cut a check for the damages, my bike is getting repaired!!!!! woot woot!!! The bike will be up and running in no time!

Very cool. Glad you are happy with the outcome... Have fun rebuilding.
    Follow the liter

Medical Update. Along with 5 broken ribs, I also have a impacted socket fracture of the left shoulder with labral tears....I knew something wasnt right with my left shoulder...been hurting like a crazy

I haven't been on for a bit and don't know you but I'm glad to here your ok. I feel for you on the broken ribs, I've broken mine three different times. Glad your bike is getting fixed.

ugh... Ribs suck and take forever to heal.
    Follow the liter