Thread: Electric Harley

Electric Harley

Originally posted on Visor Down:
    HARLEY-DAVIDSON has just released official pictures and video of its new 'LiveWire' electric bike, first revealed on Visordown earlier this week.

As expected, the surprise new model uses a three-phase AC induction electric motor making 74hp and 52lbft. The bike will do 0-60mph in a claimed four seconds.

Range is rumoured to be around 50 miles of mixed town and motorway use, estimated on the basis of battery pack size and charge time.

Before putting the LiveWire into production, Harley plans to offer demos and seek customer feedback, initially in the US followed by Europe next year.

A source told Visordown: 'Full specs haven?t been disclosed as this bike isn?t going into production yet but I can share the following performance information: Project LiveWire?s three-phase AC induction electric motor produces 74hp (55kW) at 8,000 rpm and peak torque of 52 lb-ft of torque (70 Nm).The motor produces peak torque at just off idle rpm and a strong torque response at any rpm. The vehicle also accelerates from 0 to 60 mph in less than four seconds.'

A release from Harley-Davidson said: 'In keeping with the company?s customer-led product development approach, starting next week select consumers across the U.S.A. will be able to ride and provide feedback on the bike, helping to shape the future of Harley-Davidson?s first-ever electric motorcycle.

'While not immediately for sale, Project LiveWire is specifically designed for the purposes of getting insight into rider expectations of an electric Harley-Davidson motorcycle... the Project LiveWire Experience invites U.S.-based customers to test ride, provide feedback and learn more about the story of the motorcycle. Even those who don?t yet ride will have the opportunity to feel the power of Project LiveWire through Jumpstart ? a simulated riding experience. A 2014 U.S. tour ? kicking off with a journey down Route 66 ? will visit more than 30 Harley-Davidson dealerships now through the end of the year. In 2015, the Project LiveWire Experience will continue in the U.S. and expand into Canada and Europe.'
    f*ck facebook

I think this is a smart move for HD. It is probablythe best looking ELECTRIC bike I have seen to date, and the sound is really cool.

Joe
    2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale
    2005 Honda RC51

If the range improves I would ride it.
    - Noah
    2012 848 Evo Corse SE w/ Full Termignoni

How are they planning to make it loud, obnoxious, and leave a bit of oil everywhere?
    Steve

2010 Concours14 (everyone asks mileage, its now >109,000)
    KTM EXC
    ZX9R
    ZZR600 all lowered and its for Teressa

2006YZF600

Now I know why I don't post on here anymore

Joe
    2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale
    2005 Honda RC51

I really like the look.

Electric Harley

I see a few logistical problems, but it has my attention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 1kArghArgh View Post
    If the range improves I would ride it.
    Yep. That range is freakin' horrid, but by a good shot the coolest looking electric bike.
    f*ck facebook

^^
    Which makes me believe that Harley has nothing to do with the design....
    I looks Japanese in design...
    Maybe if they do not have anything to do with it but market and sale, it might be ok??

2010 Yamaha VMax September 2014 BOTM Wiener!
    2010 FJR1300

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by voodoo; 06-20-2014 at 09:43 AM.

Range is garbage!!!

Whats it weigh? One lonely front piston on one disk... yuck.
    Follow the liter

Definitely a good looking bike, and I am not a naked bike kind of person.
    "Beware of the lollipop of mediocrity. One lick and you'll suck forever!"Brian Willson

“I guess it's because we all want to believe that what we do is very important, that people hang on to our every word, that they care what we think. The truth is, you should consider yourself lucky if you even occasionally get to make someone - anyone - feel a little better. After that, it's all about the people that you've let into your life.”— J.D.

Quote Originally Posted by VMax View Post
    ^^
    Which makes me believe that Harley has nothing to do with the design....
    I looks Japanese in design...
    Maybe if they do not have anything to do with it but market and sale, it might be ok??
    No need to diss Harley. They know their market and service it very well. If anything they deserve kudos for looking to expand their markets and break new ground into electrics.

Not a Harley guy myself (won't pay the entry fee), but have much respect for them since they left the heel of AMF (yes I'm showing my age...).
    f*ck facebook

I like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by griffinzx10 View Post
    sideshow hate to say it, but you are correct
    Quote Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
    Im paranoid on doing things myself. .

Neat enough design, but I believe that quasi-jet sound in the clip is like most pop stars today - benefiting from Auto Tune. It would be a neat toy, but likely a high price tag if Harley sticks with their economic models.
    -------------------
    Thank your stars you're not that way...turn your back and walk away
    Don't even pause and ask them why...turn around and say goodbye

2008 Ninja 650r, aka Old Man Ninja

I don't see "Harley guys" buying this.
    Rick

Electric Harley

Quote Originally Posted by CBRFRENZY View Post
    I don't see "Harley guys" buying this.
    I think that may honestly be part of the design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some of the styling and the small tail kinda gives me a cafe racer vibe. I would ride it.
    2006YZF600

The big question is, how will they market against Zero Motorcycles? If they can't edge them on price, their only angle will be performance and marketing the label (the can't rely on the "Americuh!!" pitch, as Zero is American as well. Now, no doubt Harley is got far and away the best marketing group in the motorcycle business, but if it cost more than a Zero, doesn't perform as well as a Zero and doesn't sound like a Harley - I don't see the Harley crowd buying them. Nor seeing someone in the electric market buying one when something is likely better performance-wise and/or cheaper.
    -------------------
    Thank your stars you're not that way...turn your back and walk away
    Don't even pause and ask them why...turn around and say goodbye

2008 Ninja 650r, aka Old Man Ninja