Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Multi-State trip ZZR600

Multi-State trip ZZR600

This is my first post on here, I have a 2007 ZZR600 and I am 35yo.
    I am planning a trip with my brother-in-law to ride to the Tail of the Dragon in August.
    So far the furthest I have ridden is from here (Clearwater) to Daytona for Bike week. This ride will triple that distance easily. Since this will be my first multistate ride I figure this is the best place to get some advice from people that may have done it already.

So if you have any advice on how to prep for it or what to be sure I bring with me I am all ears.

I know before I go I am getting a new set of Pilot Power 3's since I will be riding the tail of the dragon.

That's a long trip on a Sportbike, so my advice is to do what I do when going to the mountains.

Trailer the bike and stay at T.W.O. in Suches, Georgia. Ride all day and come back to a comfy place to sleep and then do it again the next day. Your body will thank you later.

I won't even get into the possible chaos of riding up there only to have a minor spill and then trying to figure out how to get the bike back home.
    _________________ ____
    |--Papa Jon Racing--| | ; |____.
    |_..._...__________| _|..........|
    "(@)'(@)"""""|(@)(@)*****(@)

CCS #19

I concur w/ Papa Jon. It is a loooong ride on a sport bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by PoppaNoDoz View Post
    ApogeeNow - you are more than a little scary man.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Jarhead View Post
    Tommy, you really scare me sometimes.
    2007 Plasma Blue ZX-1464
    1464cc Bored & Stroked Motor, Re-Flashed ECU, OER Full Hi-Exhaust,
    SpeedoHealer, FP Velocity Stacks, Under-Cut Gears & No Flies!

2005 Subaru Forester XT (AWD madness!)
    1997 34' Fleetwood Bounder (Chevy Big Block Power at its slowest!)

Long is subjective. I have made that ride many times, most recently with my buddy on his stock R1. Be prepared to be riding for 9-13 hours (depending on route). The best prep is to do longer rides and figure out your weak points... like the seat. An Airhawk may be necessary.

Other than that, be well rested, stay hydrated, and don't eat big meals on the road that make you sleepy.

I am sure Steve has some good advice as well.
    Fat AND slow!

There are so many great roads to ride up there besides the Dragon you would be better off trailering up there and do as much riding in that area as possible. Don't limit yourself to the Tail as it is usually the most congested road you will find yourself on. My first time up there we did 378 miles the first day over 11 hours - and we were hurting. The next day we kept it around 100 or so miles and really enjoyed the ride.
    "No good deed goes unpunished!"

05 ZG1000 Concours
    04 Z1000
    82 Seca Turbo X2
    78 KZ1000 Z1R

Welcome! I'll hit a few points here, but look in the Sport/ADV riding section and browse some of those threads.

Work up to that distance if the longest you have ridden is over to Daytona. Especially in August. If you think summer here is bad in August, south GA and everywhere until you get truly into the hills is worse. Drinking enough fluids can't be stressed enough. Make sure you know the things you NEED vs the things you would "like to have". Be realistic = only 2 months out isn't a long time to prepare you and the bike for such a first-time long riding trip.

Plan a roundabout route up there and make it a two day jaunt if you don't stretch your distances significantly prior. I routinely go out east and south from Brandon down to the Lake Placid area. Hit me up if you want to try to go one Saturday or the basic route I take. From Clearwater you would easily do 300+ miles in a day if you want. And the roads are no where nearly as technical as you will find once north of Atlanta. Riding 400+ mile days is a different animal on the bike and the body.

And don't get overly hung up on the Dragon. Make your trip down it and enjoy the hundreds upon hundreds of miles of roads up that way which are wonderful roads to ride and dont' have their own mythical personalities on the Web. Have gps and a back up paper map.

And move your plan back to the weekend after Labor Day and join the COG group at Two Wheel Suches!
    -------------------
    Thank your stars you're not that way...turn your back and walk away
    Don't even pause and ask them why...turn around and say goodbye

2008 Ninja 650r, aka Old Man Ninja

Where is SteveFL... That man knows all about long trips...

ps... Welcome to TSB.
    Follow the liter

Foam handgrips
    Some type of cruise control
    Camel Pack
    Comfortable gear!
    "Beware of the lollipop of mediocrity. One lick and you'll suck forever!"Brian Willson

“I guess it's because we all want to believe that what we do is very important, that people hang on to our every word, that they care what we think. The truth is, you should consider yourself lucky if you even occasionally get to make someone - anyone - feel a little better. After that, it's all about the people that you've let into your life.”— J.D.

Don't be scared off by the thought of trailering the bike. UHaul rents them fairly inexpensively (I think like $14 a day, check with Toddfather) and you get there in better shape to enjoy the twisties.
    f*ck facebook

Damn I am glad I signed up on here now. so far there's been some good information,
    Cruise control - I haven't seen one in the local shops, ie: Barneys, cycle gear etc...
    I know there is a handful of different setups some I've heard of that actually work with fuel injected bikes controlling the throttle electronically. Seeing as how my bike is carbed that is not an option, so the old strap clip will have to work. I just need to find a good one. I always seem to find them for cruisers but not so much for sport bikes.

Camel Pack is a definite
    as far as the trailering the bike, well that kind of takes away from the experience I am looking for. I want to take the ride and experience what it has to offer, that being said there is no reason to go into the ride without some education first.

One thing I left out of my original post is my parents live about 9 miles into NC outside of GA. which I believe if I recall thats about 60 miles south of the Tail. Our plan (as initial as it may be) is to ride in on like a Friday hang out with the family and rest up for a couple of days, Take a run up to the tail ride that along with other routes ride back to the families house rest a couple of days and then head back to Clearwater. in a car it takes about 9 hours to get to my parents house in NC that's with one stop in between to fill up. I figure just in fill ups it is just over 600 miles it would be about 3 fill ups if that is all we stopped for. Now him being on a 2006 Harley Heritage, fill ups are about the only time he'll need to stop. Me on the other hand I figure possibly up to 6 times, once every 100 miles, Now the first leg of the trip I figure I can do much more than that but I want to make sure I pace myself.

so going on that I believe VFRTEC has it about right with saying upwards of 13 hours.

Lampshade I just looked up that link you posted and that is just south of where my parents live, They are in the Murphy area of NC. So what is the COG group?

just subscribing to the post

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
    Where is SteveFL... That man knows all about long trips...

ps... Welcome to TSB.
    I'd ride your bike coast to coast without thinking twice. Then again I did that on a 1 cylinder KLR650 with enduro tires.... then off roaded it when I got out there in Death Valley and rode it right back.

I'd ride to the Dragon without thinking twice on your bike. Its a weekend trip if you're willing to do 11-12 hours a day in the saddle. Matter of fact I did 2000 miles in a weekend on my CBR600RR, to include the dragon, TN, WV, and NC (I was already up there)

Suggestions as everyone already said - plus like on any bike stay hydrated. On the 600RR a tailbag and soft saddlebags were more room than I needed for a few thousand mile trip. VOO has the tail bag, maybe he'll let you borrow it

West VA mountains are a best kept secret!

Steve

2010 Concours14 (everyone asks mileage, its now >109,000)
    KTM EXC
    ZX9R
    ZZR600 all lowered and its for Teressa

COG = Concours Owners Group. Google it and check it out. Shocked Steve didn't catch that. LOL. Great group that he introduced a number of us to.

Remember, don't push your brains out "getting there" if you've never been on a longer trip like that. The ride up is also "riding". And any riding on 2 wheels should make you grin like hell inside your helmet. When you stop for gas, take that extra few minutes and walk about a bit. Take off the jacket and have a water. Enjoy the WHOLE trip, not just the destination.

I don't use cruise control. I use a simple plastic CrampBuster and do fine. Load that bike and like Steve said, ride it to the end of the world. It doesn't have to be sold as a sport tourer to do it.

-------------------

Nice gloves ya squid.
    Fat AND slow!

LOL Do you like the Coke bottle in the open pocket too?

We had just checked in at the Keys campground and were heading back to the back 40 area!
    -------------------

Here is great advice from a brilliant man that I was lucky enough to know and ride with. He put down more saddle time than anyone I've ever met here and in Europe. http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=69418

My buddy lives in Murphy. 12 hours via backroads with stops every 150 miles. 10 if you interstate it.
    Fat AND slow!

Quote Originally Posted by pb View Post
    Here is great advice from a brilliant man that I was lucky enough to know and ride with. He put down more saddle time than anyone I've ever met here and in Europe. http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=69418
    How many miles per trip and per year you guess he throws down?
    Steve

KTM EXC
    ZX9R

VFRTEC do you have a route you suggest?

there's all types of route options for going up there. when i'm going via bike I bail off i-75 at Macon and snake my way up the scenic back roads. the rare times i've towed instead of rode i went through atlanta, who cares we're in a friggin' cage anyway.

here is a bit of advice, if you plan to take the short superslab way, whether bike or truck DO NOT go through Atlanta or around its 285 bypass during daylight hours. trust me on this.
    Steve

KTM EXC
    ZX9R