Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Helping a misunderstood breed

While I have limited experience with Pits I have to agree with the household part.

My youngest pup is a pit mix and she is syrupy sweet. The sweetest of my 3 by a long shot (the other 2 are labs). At almost a year old, I've not heard her growl at all, my wife claims once at kids walking near my yard.

Thankfully I've yet to meet an aggressive pit, but they all have been very sweet dogs (very similar to my mix in temperament). I'm not sure and don't want to think about how does one go from syrupy sweet to aggressive.
    f*ck facebook

It's all in the training. I've never had a mean or aggressive pit unless trained that way. All my dogs are trained with 100% voice and hand. If I tell him to stay, I could leave and go away and when I get back he's in the same spot waiting for the release word or motion
    Slower than a Vespa

Save the

Quote Originally Posted by Stretched01 View Post
    It's all in the training. I've never had a mean or aggressive pit unless trained that way. All my dogs are trained with 100% voice and hand. If I tell him to stay, I could leave and go away and when I get back he's in the same spot waiting for the release word or motion
    ...I let mine do whatever she wants. She is just too sweet to disciple. She doesn't pee or poop in the house, everything else is gravy.

One time she started chewing on one of my barely used Nike's. Needless to say I wasn't happy, so I figure I'd discipline her with theatrics. I used my angry voice and wagged my finger. She put her head low to the ground and when my wife saw how upset she was my wife hit me!
    f*ck facebook

Pits where actual left to watch over kids in the past, they were the babysitters.. so all this media attention is about how they are raised. Me having 2 pitts in the past raised with two kids and never had an issue. My vet at the time said she had been biten by more cockerspanuels then any other dog. Sorry for the miss spelling.
    "The problem is, in making everyone else happy we have sacrificed our own happiness. We sacrifice so much of ourselves to fit in that there's no self left."

PoppaNoDoz