Thread: Thanks Chad -- the VFR is like a new bike

Thanks Chad -- the VFR is like a new bike

Short story:

After getting my bike back from Chad it feels like new. He redid the rear shock and the steering head bearings and direction changes are much smoother and the work he did on the fueling has the bike idling smoothly and the throttle response is crisper then its been in years.

Awesome job! I can't recommend Chad enough. (And I already plan on taking the FZ1 in for some suspension work.)

Long story:

I threw Chad a problem child without knowing it. The VFR was hard starting when warm so I took it in to Chad to have the starter valves synchronized and have him check the fuel pressure regulator. Once there, I threw him a curve ball and asked if he could change out the oil in my rear shock, "no problem" he said. While discussing the basic state of maintenance he pointed out how notched my steering head bearings were and agreed to change them out while he had the bike.

Sounded easy and he quickly had those items taken care of -- starter valve sync, bearings, and rear shock -- and then the bike died and left him stranded during his shake-down ride. I had a previously unknown electrical issue. So he checked all my charging system connections, tore the starter apart and cleaned up all the internal bits, cleaned up all the grounding points, and then added a direct ground to the engine (because the VFR grounds to the frame).

Then he noticed that the fuel pressure regulator, despite bench testing successfully, was leaking fuel once the bike was warm (so that cylinders 3 & 4 were running too rich), so on went a new fuel pressure regulator. This is one of those things that really count because instead of just saying "it bench tested fine, moving on" he did some deeper digging and found a leak that only occurred when warm.

Really though, it was the attention to detail that separates Chad and he lived up to the hype that "he treats your bike like his own."

The added stuff that Chad just did because it wasn't up to his high standards:

• Since he had the engine apart and had to wait for the fuel pressure regulator to arrive from Honda, he went ahead and pulled the injectors and drove them up to New Port Richey to have them cleaned.

• He also went ahead and de-PAIR'd my bike (the PAIR is the Pulse Secondary Air Injection -- an emissions system). This mod has been on my "to do" list for quite a while.

• Then, because the throttle was sticking slightly because of my aftermarket grips, he stuck my bar end on a lathe and machined a 45 degree angle onto it so that the throttle turned freely.

• Then, because he thought the mounting job I did on the shock remote reservoir wasn't secure enough, he stuck on some proper mounting bits for the reservoir.

• Then, because the bolts on my tank mounted RAM mount weren't 100% correct, he went ahead and gave me better mounting hardware.

• Then, because he noticed my shoddy (and I swear temporary) wiring job on my new volt meter, he went ahead and re-did the wiring on my USB port and volt meter.

This level of detail is unheard of at any dealer that I've ever been to -- Chad's service rocks.
    Fat AND slow!

Sounds like another standard Chad visit ;-)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Oh, I forgot that he also drilled and tapped a broken off fender bolt on my fork leg... I guess my holding the fender on with a zip tie was offensive.

Detail oriented...
    Fat AND slow!

I need to get him my R1 for him to change fluid in my suspension...

2010 Yamaha VMax September 2014 BOTM Wiener!
    2010 FJR1300

I need him to do forks springs/emulators on the OMN...and a Penske for the rear.

Paul...did you throw him the Duc lean-out curve yet? lol.
    -------------------
    Thank your stars you're not that way...turn your back and walk away
    Don't even pause and ask them why...turn around and say goodbye

2008 Ninja 650r, aka Old Man Ninja

Chad is the man!
    "Beware of the lollipop of mediocrity. One lick and you'll suck forever!"Brian Willson

“I guess it's because we all want to believe that what we do is very important, that people hang on to our every word, that they care what we think. The truth is, you should consider yourself lucky if you even occasionally get to make someone - anyone - feel a little better. After that, it's all about the people that you've let into your life.”— J.D.

It is a shame I couldn't convince him to give me a day's work on the busa motored MG....
    2001 CR250r
    1983 XR350r Evo racer!
    2007 CRF450x
    1973 Midget
    .... and counting

Quote Originally Posted by Lampshade221 View Post
    Paul...did you throw him the Duc lean-out curve yet? lol.
    No damn it... I will figure that thing out!

I pulled the fuel pump and cleaned the pickup screen, verified the fuel filter was installed correctly, and pulled the fuel line from the carbs to visually check that the pump is working and that fuel is flowing from the tank at a good rate. All good. From there I tested the resistance on the CDI pick-ups (slightly out of spec) but the 16 year old ignition coils were slightly out of spec (way out of spec depending on which manual I checked). New coils/plug wires are on the way. If that doesn't work I'll borrow some tools from Serp and check the compression and timing.
    Fat AND slow!

Chad is legend here and with good reason. To him the bikes he works on IS his business card and watching him work is an amazing thing. There are no movements wasted and no "thinking" moments; he know what to do instinctively. You read about people like Chad and most people probably never meet someone like him.

Chad is also a great guy but I always have made the extra effort to remain in his good graces. The man can pick and choose his clients (he REALLY IS THAT good) and I really like to be on that "no PITA" client list. I drop my bikes off when it's convenient for him, pick it up as soon as he's done (he has limited space) and pay in cash. Chad makes the extra effort to do quality work and I make the extra effort to be a good client.

I've always joked that when good motorcycles die, they end up in motorcycle heaven fondled by a Chad clone for all eternity.
    f*ck facebook

Re: Thanks Chad -- the VFR is like a new bike

Quote Originally Posted by ianjoub View Post
    It is a shame I couldn't convince him to give me a day's work on the busa motored MG....
    Have you asked him since ge got more room? Maybe offer some extra cash since it will take up his entire workspace?

Quote Originally Posted by caps View Post
    Have you asked him since ge got more room? Maybe offer some extra cash since it will take up his entire workspace?

I haven't asked since, but he would have to come to me.
    2001 CR250r
    1983 XR350r Evo racer!
    2007 CRF450x
    1973 Midget
    .... and counting