Thread: Safer? Investing HUGE in driverless cars....

Safer? Investing HUGE in driverless cars....

So, is the future safer for us bikers? Incredible article

Every year, more than 1.3 million people die in car accidents worldwide, and more than 50 million are seriously injured. In the US alone, more than 34 thousand die and 2.2 million are injured in over 5 million accidents. 90% of these accidents are caused by human error. Google has declared its intention to reduce accidents by 90% using driverless vehicle technology.
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/chunkamu...er-killer-app/
    Steve

2010 Concours14 (everyone asks mileage, its now >109,000)
    KTM EXC
    ZX9R
    ZZR600 all lowered and its for Teressa

Driverless cars won't work, because they will NEVER be able to avoid the unexpected intangibles:

In the first video notice how the drivers who notice the 747, pull to the side and stop;
    a driverless car will not adapt to that particular hazard!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVL8RifMQ-s

Just another example of what could happen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWSVvEWuaU4
    Quote Originally Posted by PoppaNoDoz View Post
    ApogeeNow - you are more than a little scary man.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Jarhead View Post
    Tommy, you really scare me sometimes.
    2007 Plasma Blue ZX-1464
    1464cc Bored & Stroked Motor, Re-Flashed ECU, OER Full Hi-Exhaust,
    SpeedoHealer, FP Velocity Stacks, Under-Cut Gears & No Flies!

2005 Subaru Forester XT (AWD madness!)
    1997 34' Fleetwood Bounder (Chevy Big Block Power at its slowest!)

I seriously doubt that we will see a commercially viable product in 5 years but the technology they help develop has a pretty good place in making drivers safer.

Honestly, I'd much rather take my chances with vultures and cagers than a car driven by corporate board of directors. Google abandoned their don't be evil philosophy long ago and seriously doubt they have enough brain power or purity of heart to solve all the problems found on the hwy.

Plus who would want a car that drives itself and pushes pop ads to you every time it executes a turn.
    - Noah
    2012 848 Evo Corse SE w/ Full Termignoni

We'll see this technology in our lifetimes

Tapatalk but there has to be a better way
    Steve

KTM EXC
    ZX9R

Re: Safer? Investing HUGE in driverless cars....

I'm still amazed by electronic stability control. I bet that has saved lots of lives.

Sent from my DROIDX
    Once in a while you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

Quote Originally Posted by 1kArghArgh View Post
    ...Honestly, I'd much rather take my chances with vultures and cagers than a car driven by corporate board of directors...
    I'd invest my rear end's virginity to see this come to light. To me the choice is clear; either to trust a computer or Gina Sweet Tits yapping away while on the way to the mall or Joe Ballsack who becomes insulted because my motorcycle is faster than his piece of crap crate.
    f*ck facebook

Honestly I'd settle for technology strictly adapted for the highway alone. Honestly I am so tired of traffic on the highway due to morons not understanding the concepts of merging. Or stopping to gawk at an accident. If your car automated the moment you hit the on ramp until your preferred exit I'd be thrilled. This would entail a computer system that would steer, accelerate, and brake your car while on the highway. Think how nice it would be to have traffic traveling at a constant 70-80mph on the highway. Completely fluid merging and exiting at speed. It really wouldn't be all that complicated. With GPS and constant feedback from in road sensors I think a computer system could make the required calculations to speed slow and steer cars to maintain maximum efficiency on a 3 lane highway. Naturally there will be emergency override procedures for human input but it would be recorded and you'd be accountable for any accidents caused or illegal behaviors.
    -Jon

06 Triumph Speed Triple, Current
    05 Triumph Speed four, Sold
    04 GSX-R 600, Sold
    04 GSX-R 1000 Miladin Replica, Stolen
    07 CBR-1000, Totalled
    07 GSX-R built out 750, Sold

Most drivers i see should not have human input in the cars of today!

I see the tech coming, but don't think it will be mass market so soon. I mean it will kill the Civic after market fart can exhaust industry!

But if they did it to cars and not motorcycles, the interstate could become like playing Frogger!
    -------------------
    Thank your stars you're not that way...turn your back and walk away
    Don't even pause and ask them why...turn around and say goodbye

2008 Ninja 650r, aka Old Man Ninja

saw this last night on tv

http://www.ispot.tv/ad/7o3V/2014-mer...ss-sudden-stop

pretty impressive technology

Travel in of itself needs to be avoided whenever possible. How many people work in an office and could do their jobs just as well from home office with VSI and VOIP. That alone would probably cut down 30-40% on commuter traffic density. Then we can start to slowly incorporate the little nanny features into the vehicles. Face it people. In 50 years your fully automated car will be here. Cars will talk to each other and tell each other that a car ahead need to drastically slow down due to a road hazard way before you could ever see it.
    [SIZE=5][/SIZE]

Nayers said the same about ABS and traction control not many years ago and now its hard to find a car without it.

GM is onboard with their own plans and predictions, but of course google will whip them to market-ready.

http://www.wfaa.com/news/technology/221531721.html

MILFORD, Michigan (AP) — General Motors says that before the end of this decade it will begin selling cars that can almost drive themselves.

The automaker says a system, called "Super Cruise" will use radar and a camera to steer cars, keeping them between the lane lines. The radar also will keep cars a safe distance from cars head of them.

GM and other automakers already offer radar-guided cruise control systems that keep their cars safely behind other traffic. They also have systems that warn drivers if they're drifting out of their lanes. But until recently, GM says engineers haven't been able to steer with computers.

The GM system uses computers to control electric power steering, keeping the car in its lane. The company says such a car could be on the road in as little as six years.
    Steve

KTM EXC
    ZX9R