Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need help?advice on coil testing the zx10!!!

I would be looking for a bad coil myself..i had a jeep that would do the same thing run great at start up then die after ten minutes. Would run after a little time. It was a bad coil.

Quote Originally Posted by gixxerfrank View Post
    If there is no light on there will be no codes stored. It sounds like a possible ignition problem as the problem gets worse as it gets hot. Without a service manual it would be very difficult to test anything as there is nothing to measure what you're testing up against. Think you're best bet will be take it to a shop to at least get it diagnosed. From there you can probably do the work on you're own. One of the site sponsors should be able to assist
    I could of swore he told me before the FI light was one.
    "Beware of the lollipop of mediocrity. One lick and you'll suck forever!"Brian Willson

“I guess it's because we all want to believe that what we do is very important, that people hang on to our every word, that they care what we think. The truth is, you should consider yourself lucky if you even occasionally get to make someone - anyone - feel a little better. After that, it's all about the people that you've let into your life.”— J.D.

Quote Originally Posted by pb View Post
    I would be looking for a bad coil myself..i had a jeep that would do the same thing run great at start up then die after ten minutes. Would run after a little time. It was a bad coil.
    See, that's what Greg at Pro flo said...test the "Coils"...but where and how???
    Quote Originally Posted by RICO View Post
    FI light is on, has been for awhile???

I'm 2 guys away from taking her in at this point.
    This is gettin way over my head.

Check the kick stand switch. It will do what you're describing. Easy and free to test, just jump the wires together.
    06 zx10R street
    K6gsxr750 track
    P3 zx7R project

Quote Originally Posted by mosh69 View Post
    See, that's what Greg at Pro flo said...test the "Coils"...but where and how???

FI light is on, has been for awhile???

I'm 2 guys away from taking her in at this point.
    This is gettin way over my head.

The ignition coils or stick coils are what "plugs" in to the spark plugs. like a spark plug cap, they are very expensive though, I wouldn't be surprise if they were nearly a $100 each. You test them by removing them and performing a ohm reading on them, you would need a fluke meter and a service manual to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by ZombieX View Post
    Check the kick stand switch. It will do what you're describing. Easy and free to test, just jump the wires together.
    The kick stand switch? Really, lol. Ok, it's worth a try...thanx!

The ignition coils or stick coils are what "plugs" in to the spark plugs. like a spark plug cap, they are very expensive though, I wouldn't be surprise if they were nearly a $100 each. You test them by removing them and performing a ohm reading on them, you would need a fluke meter and a service manual to do so.
    Yeah, that's the 1st thing I was recommended in addition to a possible FI issue.
    Ugh, sounds "Tricky" lol...lemme see if I can get to bothe these tests over the weekend...if it doesnt gimme something, she's going in!

If you would just pay someone who knows what they are doing....

You wouldn't have 4 coils failing at once. What did the plugs look like? Was one any different than the others? If so, likely a coil. If they all look the same, it is not something to do with one cylinder as in NOT coil, plug, injector, compression, valve, etc... You then look at Power commander, ecu, sensors, bad grounds, fuel pump/delivery, bad gas ... something that effects all cylinders equally.
    2001 CR250r
    1983 XR350r Evo racer!
    2007 CRF450x
    1973 Midget
    .... and counting

missed that one!

[QUOTE=mosh69;1314852]The kick stand switch? Really, lol. Ok, it's worth a try...thanx!

Quote Originally Posted by ianjoub View Post
    If you would just pay someone who knows what they are doing....

You wouldn't have 4 coils failing at once. What did the plugs look like? Was one any different than the others? If so, likely a coil. If they all look the same, it is not something to do with one cylinder as in NOT coil, plug, injector, compression, valve, etc... You then look at Power commander, ecu, sensors, bad grounds, fuel pump/delivery, bad gas ... something that effects all cylinders equally.

you're right, no way all 4 fail at once. I was making a point about just throwing parts at it. It gets expensive.

[QUOTE=mosh69;1314852]The kick stand switch? Really, lol. Ok, it's worth a try...thanx!

Yep had to do it on mine and everyone i know. If not I have a set of good coils you can try.
    06 zx10R street
    K6gsxr750 track
    P3 zx7R project

Ok...I did a code check test today and we got 2 short blinks and 4 fast ones (24).
    Looked up code 24 and it says the "Speed sensor" is bad...
    Well, I knew that when I bought the bike, lol.
    Speedo and odo has always been off and it was never that big of an issue for me.

I can get one up on ebay for $30...but I'm not sure that's what's causing my problem, could just be throwing that code cause that's an additional issue (The one I really dont care about).

Thoughts???

I can get one up on ebay for $30...but I'm not sure that's what's causing my problem, could just be throwing that code cause that's an additional issue (The one I really dont care about).

Thoughts???
    Fuel pump $200
    Plugs 50
    Speed sensor 30

Still have the problem when bringing it to a mechanic would have been cheaper: priceless.
    2001 CR250r
    1983 XR350r Evo racer!
    2007 CRF450x
    1973 Midget
    .... and counting

Quote Originally Posted by ianjoub View Post
    Fuel pump $200
    Plugs 50
    Speed sensor 30

Still have the problem when bringing it to a mechanic would have been cheaper: priceless.
    Ian ure a funny motherfucker...sounds like you've got something to prove.
    Might wanna try lotto cause I'm not the one to try, k pumpkin?
    Btw I paid 70 bux for the pump, 45 for the plugs and those parts most likely needed to be replaced and I learned to do these 2 jobs all by myself w/out paying a mechanic 90/hr on top of parts....winning!!!

All "Dumbshit" aside...I'm hearing on another site that the speed sensor can def cause the problems I'm having.
    And since the speedo and odo have never worked Ill be replacing another part that def needed to be replaced.

I was kindof under the impression (out of ignorance of course) that the sensor was just that...senses, or reads the spead and sends that info to the speedo/odo...didn't see how that faulty part would affect the "Performance" of the bike.
    Come to find out, the sensor does have a big effect on performance.
    And w/the info I got from the codes, the bikes telling me that this IS an issue!!!
    And, when it comes down to it, its a good idea to know ure speed anyway so it's another $30 invested.
    Part should be here Wed...fingers crossed!!!

Do you have the owners manual? Is there a way to check for codes on that bike?
    I got the codes Rico...24 (Speed sensor) which I bought should be here Wed.

If there is no light on there will be no codes stored. It sounds like a possible ignition problem as the problem gets worse as it gets hot. Without a service manual it would be very difficult to test anything as there is nothing to measure what you're testing up against. Think you're best bet will be take it to a shop to at least get it diagnosed. From there you can probably do the work on you're own. One of the site sponsors should be able to assist
    No maual but I'm no mech anyway, lol.
    I wouldnt think ign...she starts right up and runs strong as fk in neutral.
    Its only when I go to roll throttle she's just dying now...grrr.
    If the sensor doent fix it, to the shop she goes.

I think I killed my own thread! lol
    Which is funny cause it's blowing up on ZX10R.net.
    Anyway...the plot thickens and I think I may have found the problem. think.
    Talked to **** today and the mech sounds very sure its the fuel pressure regulator so that will be next on my list.
    Speed sensor should be tomorrow.

Took the 10 to "Recycle Racing" Thursday.
    After 4 different parts and the possibilities and suggestions growing as the days went on I not only gave up on diagnosing and fixing myself...I pretty much decided to part the bike out if I dont get a 100% positive diagnosis on the fix.
    Lately the bike's been much more for basic transportation than sport/hobby and I ran out of patience, time and money.
    Should have an answer early next week, but if it's bad news I'll be more than happy to dump this bitch and start over.

She's fixed!!! I havent gotten her home for a ride yet but Recycle says it was actually the KS sensor wiring under the tank.
    2 hours labor $.
    Yes, I wish I wouldve taken her in right off but life's a lesson.
    Should have her home Tue...sooo looking forward to ride again!

Going to get the 10 this morning!!! So fkn excited I couldnt sleep all night, Oh well I can nap after I get er home! =)

Re: Need help?advice on coil testing the zx10!!!

it was actually the KS sensor wiring under the tank.

Yes, I wish I wouldve taken her in right off
    *Facepalm*

I hate tapatalk - but this was posted from it.