Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: So you want to get a sportbike?

Quote Originally Posted by PoorBoyBrian View Post
    yeah but then parents would actually have to be responsible for their children. and if you haven't been out in public lately, that has pretty much ceased.
    But it's also not the Gov. job to baby sit everyone..

Quote Originally Posted by NatBrown View Post
    We will agree to disagree then. Short wheelbase, steep steering head angle, short trail all are done to make the sport bike unstable and quick/willing the change directions.
    It's situational, sport bikes are harder to turn at slow speeds. Like already said minimal wheel turn and front heavy makes turns wider and more difficault then a bike that is more evenly weighted and has more wheel/handle bar movement.. which is one reason why stunt riders go for more upright handle bars like dirt bikes.. allows for more from wheel moment to help make turns a lot easier..

Not saying it's impossible to make quick tight turns but definitely not that the top of the list when it comes to turning ease.. and especially not new rider friendly

Thanks for that!

Awesome, my first time seeing it.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
    The twisties - not the superslabs -separate the riders from the
    squids.

Currently riding '08 SV650SF. K8 FTW.

eh, I guess I'm the exception to the rules..... I learned to ride on a 2006 Kawasaki ZX10R....
    But to my credit, I didn't really have a true "squid" phase...
    For the typical new rider, even though I did the exact opposite, I still tell people to start off on a smaller, slower bike, get the hang of it, then start adding size and speed.
    It lets you learn just how to react to traffic, and how traffic reacts to you before having enough power to really screw yourself up with. I find people that had to learn how to move a slower bike around in traffic become much better riders (and live a lot longer) than the people that started on a bike that was fast enough to just blast through traffic. That much speed and power "covers up" the basics, the fundamentals of riding on public roads, with everyone else around you.

Quote Originally Posted by PoppaNoDoz View Post
    I just wish it was bigger . .
    I bet you hear that a lot
    AccountKiller - Delete my account, admin.

Good article!

You wouldnt believe how many times I have to explain to people why a liter bike isnt a good idea for a first bike. I like seeing their eyes pop wide open as I tell them "in fact I won't even sell you the bike!"
    "YOU ARE THE ONLY LIMIT THATS CONTROLLING YOUR BIKE"

"YOU CAN'T BOLT ON SKILL"

i think the article is spot on. he cut his sentences short to keep it a quick short read. all the experienced riders know how to finish his sentences. starting on a liter bike is suicidal. starting on a 600 class is ignorant/ foolish.

get on a 600 sportbike, from a dead stop, sit up as tall as you can, shift into 1st and make a smooth take off but crack the throttle wide open and hold it till it red lines. if the bike doesn't throw you off it's a miracle.

again on a 600, get rolling along in 3rd gear doing 35mph. now accelerate as if you were trying to pull away from traffic, then, when you reach the point where you would shift into 4th gear and continue accelerating, shift into 2nd. your front wheel will get airborne. (on a liter bike you'll loop)

now try these 2 scenarios on a 250.

there are so many situations like this that the beginner rider can't imagine let alone handle. maybe he could have dumbed down the article. Hopefully an experienced rider will be there to help explain the ideas in this article to the beginner.

my 2%
    Originally Posted by Prettyboy
    yeah but your closer to a pop-tart -vs- a pop-a-dent.
    2008 Honda crf230L

Quote Originally Posted by 240phil View Post
    eh, I guess I'm the exception to the rules..... I learned to ride on a 2006 Kawasaki ZX10R....
    But to my credit, I didn't really have a true "squid" phase...
    For the typical new rider, even though I did the exact opposite, I still tell people to start off on a smaller, slower bike, get the hang of it, then start adding size and speed.
    It lets you learn just how to react to traffic, and how traffic reacts to you before having enough power to really screw yourself up with. I find people that had to learn how to move a slower bike around in traffic become much better riders (and live a lot longer) than the people that started on a bike that was fast enough to just blast through traffic. That much speed and power "covers up" the basics, the fundamentals of riding on public roads, with everyone else around you.
    Great post!

I started out on my 600. Grew up riding on the back of my dad's harley so I had appreciation for motorcycles and the risks that were involved before I bought my own. Started out slow and the more I got use to/comfortable riding, the more I found out what a 600cc motorcycle is capable of.
    05 Honda CBR 600 - Two bros slip-on, vortex rear sets, renthal sprockets, carbon fiber chain guard, IT tail, flush mounts, steel braided lines, carbon fiber seats, DDM Tuning HIDs (5000k), GP shift, JPMotorsports shorty levers, DB windscreen.

Do it!
    < N > RUN ?