Thread: Help, Intermittant Starting issue 06 Cbr 1K

Help, Intermittant Starting issue 06 Cbr 1K

I serched & didnt find a nswer to whats happening Online, hopefully some herre can help me.... basically, I turn on key, turn starter switch on, I here fuel pump prime, wait a few sec's, hit starter button and she cranks but wont fire, i will stop after say 10 sec.. try again, and same thing, then she will kinda of cough once like she wants to start almost like she is flodded then will start after few more cranks, and then, she is fine.. Runs fantastic.. This only happens once in a while..when it happens, iver tried opend gas tank to see if its seal issue, no difference. I have no clue what could be causeing it.. When it happens its only after sitting over say 4-5 hrs... Any thought, or does anyone know Are there any kill switch's that disable just the spark but will still let bike crank that might be going out??
    If your Not Going to ride It hard, Dont Get On It..
    www.facebook.com/jay3638
    www.myspace.com/jay3638
    www.jconcepts.net

When is the last time your plugs were changed?

Sounds like when my buddy had a faulty fuel pump..it would prime but would take awhile to start up..kinda like what's going on with yours..your battery is good?

My battery is fine, cranks with no issue, fuel pump comes on each time, sounds like it primes fine, when the issue happens, and she fires I can swear it smells a bit rich like she loaded up...

I have never changed my plugs Yet... I didnt think it would be plugs as it only happens once in a blue moon after sitting prolonged.. I just went out side on break from work, fired right up after sitting for 2hrs.. Also, After googling plugs on my bike, it appears i have to drop the radiator to do them.. WTF is that about.. Gawd I Miss my 9RR at times like this.. LOL
    www.facebook.com/jay3638
    www.myspace.com/jay3638
    www.jconcepts.net

dam drop the radiator sounds like the number 8 plug on a third gen camaro with a big block lol! Could be the plugs, but a little research shows that the air duct that you have to remove wont come out unless you remove the radiator sounds like a bitch. But would save you a ton on labor, how many miles do you have on the bike?

Im at 18 k.. but here is the kick, if it was plugs wouldnt it do it more often then once in a while??? after i got to work today, 2.5 hrs later, fired right up no prob, then 4 hrs later, fired up again, no prob.. Its killing me, cant figure it out.. i rode the bike to work everyday a few weeks back, no issue, in fact, it hasnt done it in over a month until this morning.
    Last edited by jayrx7trbo2; 01-09-2012 at 07:17 PM.
    www.facebook.com/jay3638
    www.myspace.com/jay3638
    www.jconcepts.net

Quote Originally Posted by jayrx7trbo2 View Post
    Im at 18 k.. but here is the kick, if it was plugs wouldnt it do it more often then once in a while??? after i got to work today, 2.5 hrs later, fired right up no prob, then 4 hrs later, fired up again, no prob.. Its killing me, cant figure it out.. i rode the bike to work everyday a few weeks back, no issue, in fact, it hasnt done it in over a month until this morning.
    nope, change your plugs, I worked at Honda dealers for years, common thing when they don't get changed often enough. Todays crappy fuel only makes it worse. Your spark plugs are sparking but it's not as good as it should be. I know for a fact at 16k Honda recommends you replace them, and it sucks they are expensive plugs, no one ever does and usually at some point down the line they would show for up for the exact problem and a spark plug change later all was good.

My battery is fine, cranks with no issue, fuel pump comes on each time, sounds like it primes fine, when the issue happens, and she fires I can swear it smells a bit rich like she loaded up...

I have never changed my plugs Yet... I didnt think it would be plugs as it only happens once in a blue moon after sitting prolonged.. I just went out side on break from work, fired right up after sitting for 2hrs.. Also, After googling plugs on my bike, it appears i have to drop the radiator to do them.. WTF is that about.. Gawd I Miss my 9RR at times like this.. LOL
    because your spark plugs need to be replaced

You can pull the plugs out and bead blast them....
    2001 CR250r
    1983 XR350r Evo racer!
    2007 CRF450x
    1973 Midget
    .... and counting

Quote Originally Posted by ianjoub View Post
    You can pull the plugs out and bead blast them....
    it's such a pain in the ass on that bike I would replace them just for going through the trouble to get to them

11. sounds like every one is agreeing, you have a cager? Put the ole girl on stand (if you have them) and tear it apart. Save your self a ton of money and get it done. Worse case do it over the weekend, sucks you have to tear it all the way down, I think there was a thread with service manuals a while back. If you search or one of the others may know where it is. Should help

Quote Originally Posted by gixxerfrank View Post
    it's such a pain in the ass on that bike I would replace them just for going through the trouble to get to them
    Thanx for all the input, yeah, I have a car, I just cant believe how hard it is to change the plugs, WTF was honda thinking... Im thinking I will wait for my tax check and just give the bike to chad for the overhaul, timing chain check , vales, everthing, if its already mostly apart might as well have him do the plugs.. Damn i miss My 9RR, lol, maintanance was a breeze
    www.facebook.com/jay3638
    www.myspace.com/jay3638
    www.jconcepts.net

thanx for all the input, yeah, i have a car, i just cant believe how hard it is to change the plugs, wtf was honda thinking... Im thinking i will wait for my tax check and just give the bike to chad for the overhaul, timing chain check , vales, everthing, if its already mostly apart might as well have him do the plugs.. Damn i miss my 9rr, lol, maintanance was a breeze
    ok.
    Good enough, isn't.

"Beware of people who give you directions, when they don't know where you are...." - Chip Spalding

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Wolfe View Post
    ok.
    Sup Chad, good to see you stopping by & liking the post, LOL, been a while bro.. Hopfully see you soon...
    www.facebook.com/jay3638
    www.myspace.com/jay3638
    www.jconcepts.net

I have plugs for that bike and SS brake lines for sale. Plugs where expansive thats for sure. I brought them when I had the bike but never put them in due to the bike leaving me.
    Aprilia Rsvr 1000 07
    Everyones a Ph.D when it comes to riding,they can tell u what tires to get, what oil to use and what gear 2 buy yet these "Docs usually base their expertise on some1 else's opinion not their own experience...

Plugs are not to bad... I can do mine in 2-3 hours. There is a good write up on 1000rr.net. White its apart take the flapper out and smooth out the intake.

you can buy a fuel filter and bring it to me(5 bucks at any auto parts store), and me and you can replace it and take a look at the pump. just bring beer.

Quote Originally Posted by vfrsam View Post
    you can buy a fuel filter and bring it to me(5 bucks at any auto parts store), and me and you can replace it and take a look at the pump. just bring beer.
    Fuel Filter??? how did that come into play?? it definitely getting fuel, But thanx for the offer...
    www.facebook.com/jay3638
    www.myspace.com/jay3638
    www.jconcepts.net

Quote Originally Posted by Rocks View Post
    I have plugs for that bike and SS brake lines for sale. Plugs where expansive thats for sure. I brought them when I had the bike but never put them in due to the bike leaving me.
    I had some SS brake lines and sold them.Didnt really see the need them with street riding i do. already Found a full set of plugs for $30, so im good.. But thanx..
    www.facebook.com/jay3638
    www.myspace.com/jay3638
    www.jconcepts.net

Crank or cam position sensor

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk