Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sport-touring, X-country style

Sport-touring, X-country style

House sitter in place and to launch the trip I wanted to hurry and get out of the Southeast. Also I never did the Iron Butt 1,000 miles in 24 hours thing. So I did both. Day/Night one I rode 1100 miles from Tampa to Ft Smith, Arkansas only stopping for gas. Took me 17 hours but thats 'cuz I did a lot of "off the freeway" stuff on my favorite back roads in GA and Northern Alabama.

Phone pic:

OK, I haven't had time to take pics yet. But D*MN its hot up here! Real Phillip's 66 signs in OK, home of that company before they merged with Conoco-

Going to hit "Dodge City" Kansas on way to Rocky Mountains, Denver/Boulder and southern Utah twisties and Grand Canyon North Rim. Then seeing a special friend and rolling dice in Vegas...then Cali.... and Dallas for friends, Lousianna for cajun food, I hope to eat there for days... Will check in soon hopefully with some decent pics.
    Last edited by stevewfl; 07-03-2011 at 10:37 PM.
    Steve

2010 Concours14 (everyone asks mileage, its now >109,000)
    KTM EXC
    ZX9R
    ZZR600 all lowered and its for Teressa

have fun and enjoy

I hate you.......

So total mileage on the bike so far?
    Sounds like an amazing trip.
    More pictures!
    "Beware of the lollipop of mediocrity. One lick and you'll suck forever!"Brian Willson

“I guess it's because we all want to believe that what we do is very important, that people hang on to our every word, that they care what we think. The truth is, you should consider yourself lucky if you even occasionally get to make someone - anyone - feel a little better. After that, it's all about the people that you've let into your life.”— J.D.

Great job!!! I need to get a touring bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Great job!!! I need to get a touring bike.
    How was your trip?
    I guess by the statement, it was a little uncomfortable?
    Think about changing your bikes riding position rather than another bike.
    "Beware of the lollipop of mediocrity. One lick and you'll suck forever!"Brian Willson

“I guess it's because we all want to believe that what we do is very important, that people hang on to our every word, that they care what we think. The truth is, you should consider yourself lucky if you even occasionally get to make someone - anyone - feel a little better. After that, it's all about the people that you've let into your life.”— J.D.

Quote Originally Posted by RICO View Post
    How was your trip?
    I guess by the statement, it was a little uncomfortable?
    Think about changing your bikes riding position rather than another bike.
    Trip was great. Bike and I did great. I just want to do longer next time. My only complaint was my seat. I enjoyed the ride so much that I want to do longer trips now and know a sport touring bike is the way to go. Here is the link to my post about the trip so we don't screw with Stevewfl's post.

http://tampasportbikes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51518

Thanks for the update. Be safe and enjoy.
    https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/PI-STIX-Custom-Rods/204316709715

Quote Originally Posted by stevewfl View Post
    Day/Night one I rode 1100 miles .
    I am glad you're enjoying your trip.

But, I don't get the whole 1K mile a day thing...never did. I have some friends that you would love to ride with, as I always find them leaving me behind when the ODO clicks 500 or so.

Ya gotta savor the flavor of those small towns.
    Suppose you are an idiot. And suppose you are a member of Congress.
    But I repeat myself. ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by pyroman1 View Post
    OK, you are smarter than me.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottly View Post
    I am glad you're enjoying your trip.

But, I don't get the whole 1K mile a day thing...never did. I have some friends that you would love to ride with, as I always find them leaving me behind when the ODO clicks 500 or so.

Ya gotta savor the flavor of those small towns.
    Thanks all and happy 4th. Scottly I did that to getb through the southeast, I've road all those backroads. Plus i needed an Iron Butt certification.

Today I'm at Vance Air Force Base OK with my son. Afterwards its all rural roads to Dodge City Kansas. I hope to bump into Dorothy, Toto, and Wyatt Earp on the Wyatt Earp BLVD!

Then off to meet up with riders in Colorado and hang out in Denver/Boulder/Vail/Aspen/Durango....and run the Million Dollar HWY 550 through the Rockies with some gentlemen I met while riding in Asheville last summer!
    Last edited by stevewfl; 07-04-2011 at 10:28 AM.
    Steve

KTM EXC
    ZX9R

Quote Originally Posted by stevewfl View Post
    I hope to bump into Dorothy, Toto,
    Don't worry about my ex-girlfriend...she's under the house.
    Suppose you are an idiot. And suppose you are a member of Congress.
    But I repeat myself. ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by pyroman1 View Post
    OK, you are smarter than me.

Made it to Vance AFB Oklahoma and visited my son and his girl. Wow @ his Air Traffic Control center.

Then rolled across the plains of OK and Kansas, hung out in Dodge City, and made it all the way to Denver tonight! I think I'm psycho going 600 miles on VERY RURAL back roads in 108 degree heat, the locals advised against it unless I rode with someone. I went sometimes 50 miles without seeing a living human or even a cow.

This exactly what I saw all day.

I was so excited to see a tree and cows I had to stop and see if it was a hallucination.

The locals warned me not to step off the side of the road without snake boots and such. But I had to get a pic of this weird plant.

Fields of nothing, but hi-tech windmills cover power for Buffalo, Kansas. They are proud of their Bison but no one in that 400 people town could show me one.

Made new friends in Dodge City Kansas. They explained Dorothy nor Toto is there, but Wyatt Earp is the town hero there. Everything is about him in that town too. I almost stopped at 300 miles and stayed at the Wyatt Erp Inn, but I went on to CO.

Ok now I'm in Denver, where I wanted to be! Was tough getting here, a few thousand miles in a few days. I'm going to criss-cross the Rockies a few times. Meeting some friends that will take me to the highest spot, and show me some "locals" riding roads and decent hangouts. Hopefully I'll have an opportunity to take pics here that aren't sunblown out... west OK and Ks was incredibly bright and hot!
    Steve

KTM EXC
    ZX9R

That is awersome. Glad to hear you're doing well. Stay safe.
    https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/PI-STIX-Custom-Rods/204316709715

Plant looks like a soda apple, those dn things will destroy acres in zero time. Nothing will eat them.

Quote Originally Posted by camel View Post
    You've really fucked up when they can see it from space.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_T41...feature=relmfu

Awesome man! I plan to do the 1k/day thing soon. Heading up to PA on Friday almost exactly 1k to my brother's house but I plan to break it into two days and camp. Here is your next goal

Nice pictures but we need more of em lol.
    2011 BMW F800GS

Sounds like fun Steve. Have a safe trip.
    Bikeless, for now.

Great pics steve!
    Keep them coming!

I don't really hate you....just jealous....

Quote Originally Posted by Pi-Stix View Post
    That is awersome. Glad to hear you're doing well. Stay safe.
    Thanks! Taking it easy today I'm sore after all this.

Quote Originally Posted by RCDAVE View Post
    Plant looks like a soda apple, those dn things will destroy acres in zero time. Nothing will eat them.
    Yes sir, they were nasty mean but nothing else much was growing out there except the minty looking weeds

Quote Originally Posted by elicate View Post
    Awesome man! I plan to do the 1k/day thing soon. Heading up to PA on Friday almost exactly 1k to my brother's house but I plan to break it into two days and camp. Here is your next goal

Nice pictures but we need more of em lol.
    Do it! I did almost 1500 in 36 hours but stopped at my Aunt Linda's house. It was about the mileage

Quote Originally Posted by sergeantnic View Post
    Sounds like fun Steve. Have a safe trip.
    Thank you sir!

Quote Originally Posted by RICO View Post
    Great pics steve!
    Keep them coming!

I don't really hate you....just jealous....
    Thanks will do
    Steve

KTM EXC
    ZX9R

Relaxed today, road the canyons and mountains overlooking Denver and checked out downtown Denver and Boulder. One of the guys from the C14 national forum showed me some incredible places not far. Couple hundred miles logged today.

Tomorrow its seriuous business into the Rockies and the highest point in USA: The altitude from 7,500 to 14,259 feet slices through montane, sub-alpine and alpine zones. A drive up Trail Ridge Road takes you to the Arctic Circle ecologically; yet you're only 2 hours from Denver.

A few pics from today:

Zoomed down from a 10,000 ft mountain overlooking Coors brewing company in Golden, Co. (Coors plant - middle of pic)

Nearby mountains being hammered with snow

Buffulo Bill had a nice place on a mountain overlooking downtown Denver. Went to his crib and his grave.

This time of year the white water is so violent over the rocks they had signs up to stay away from it
    Last edited by stevewfl; 07-07-2011 at 01:17 AM.
    Steve

KTM EXC
    ZX9R

Where the sweet, salty breeze blows in...
    Amazing! I'm living vicariously through you and your posts about this trip. I can't wait for tomorrow's photos and write up. Have a fun day, Steve. Looking at the photos of the mountains reminds me of the cool breezes that brush the mountain sides...nice mental retreat from this 85 degree night.

Thanks Maureen!
    Steve

KTM EXC
    ZX9R