Last month I injured my back at work and have been out pretty much ever since. The initial report of injury got me a trip to the ER and went home with Naproxen, Robaxin and Ultram. Followed up with a Workman's Comp approved doctor 2 days later. An x-ray was ordered and beings that the x-ray appeared normal and I have no neurological symptoms, I was prescribed 3 weeks of physical therapy.
1 noticed mild improvement for the first week but had really no change in the way I felt day to day from then on. Basically I wake up every morning with pain in my lumbar area on the right and muscles are very tight on either side on a regular basis. Pain is generally 3/10 and can increase with exhertion.
Each time I went to the clinic for follow-ups I got a different doctor that said basically the same thing and prescribed me a different muscle relaxers and anti-inflammatories. None of them wanted to give me an MRI. They kept telling me that more than half the people walking down the street right now would have something show up abnormal in an MRI. As if my complaint wasn't worth the evaluation.
So Wednesday I was approved to go back to work and given an Rx for Motrin 800 mg. Went to work Friday morning. Back was aching as usual. Had our first 911 call and had to lift a 170 lb patient on the stretcher into the ambulance. Noticed already that my back was beginning to spasm again. Transported patient to the hospital and called my supervisor.
Went back to doctor and was told again that it was probably a strain. Doctor also claimed that she could tell whether or not i had a bulged or slipped disk by looking at x-rays. Finally after I mentioned it, the doctor stated "So you want an MRI?" I said "It would sure make me feel better." She seemed to have an attitude towards me and wrote on my paperwork that I "requested an MRI and stated that I can't work", which I never did. All I said was, when asked if my work had light duty, I said "no". She also claimed that she would have to report that I wasn't taking meds as prescribed because I hadn't gotten the prescription for Motrin from 2 days prior filled yet.
So currently I'm waiting WC to give me a location to go to for the MRI. In the mean time I'm left with more anti-inflammatories and muscle relaxers which haven't really helped. Can't wait to get the MRI results so I can throw it in their face. Maybe it is a strain, but I have a feeling it's gonna show something more.
Dunno if I really have a case, but I've considered calling Czia & Gallagher for advice. Seems to me that they should have done the MRI before putting me thru 3 weeks of therapy that did nothing. I wouldn't put it past them to lie about the results, so I'm gonna request to see them.