Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's End These Deaths!

Quote Originally Posted by migsgsxr
    Hey buddy... bad naming and shouting out the F word isn't going to solve the problem. .
    I wasn't trying to solve a problem, just proving a point of the success of a legit licensing and helmet regulation...and explain how these laws aren't backwards.

Quote Originally Posted by MianoSM
    I'm going to go ahead and Hi-Jack the thread here - has anyone here taken the Experienced Riders Course, I was told at the Basic Course, that after about 3,000 miles you should be well prepared for it.......

I'm nearly at 4,000 miles now - and think I'd be a better rider if I took it, who's with me?
    I'd like to take this course....just not sure when I'd be able to fit it in.......keep me posted if you get registered for it....

I throw knives..........

Quote Originally Posted by migsgsxr
    Absolutly awesome class to take! Worth every penny and then some!!!

infact... I have the whole entire curriculum at home if anyone wants a copy of it.

Migs - Can you send me a PM? What does the curriculum that you have entail? cd's, books? I'd certainly be interested in reading through it, especially since i plan on taking the course with the others....thankx....

I throw knives..........

As far as funding goes. Couldnt ya'll do like carwashes bike washes I have alot of ideas for raising funds. So that you could help with the funding
    ~The sh!t you hear about me Might be true, but then again it could be as fake as the B!tch that told you!~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

in a flooded out shack in Dunedin with M.E.
    Quote Originally Posted by Donna
    I'd like to take this course....just not sure when I'd be able to fit it in.......keep me posted if you get registered for it....
    I did the advanced MSF this Sunday. We had 12 riders in our class, one guy failed and the rest of us passed. There were 5 on cruisers and the rest of us were on sportbikes, one of them being a busa. Eight of us were doing the class for our endorsements. I was the only female in the class. A few of us agreed when it was said that this one guy would be dead within six months due to his attitude.

The 6 hours and $70 were good time and money spent but I thought there would have been more traffic/hazard avoidance or a larger track during this course. I was really disappointed that two guys in our class were allowed to stay when they showed up with just sneakers when it said over the ankle boots were required.

MREC schedules the advanced class when they have enough requests to fill a class, which is usually once a month. That scared me since the beginners class had about twenty people and is held like twice a month.

A friend did a private advanced riding/training day with Larry Grodsky a few years ago. It cost $800 a day, but I like this idea of actual road time education. (RIP, Larry was killed when a deer jumped out in front of him in TX this April.) Kids have to take driver's ed (with road time) to get their driver's license but it seems that nothing like this is puclicly offered for riding.

Perhaps if the laws were written that riders must take beginner course as a permit/license requirement and the advanced course within a year of licensure, we could help reduce some accidents. Continuing education is required for some professional/business licensures in Florida, why not for riding?
    Quote Originally Posted by xavier31fl
    road trip to oz?...lol
    Quote Originally Posted by CandyCane on 1/14/07
    donna always made a point to ride anything with wheels, so it was called ho'ing
    Yep! That's why I am called the "Bike Ho".

Hey Jahmic,
    I'll help! Sounds like we need to contact your buddy's organization for some guidance. You know in that article in the paper the other day it stated insurance company's & doctors both agreed that helmets save lives. Maybe they would be willing to fund or at least help fund a lobbyist group. Never know, might be a conflict. Anyway I'm a member of the IAFF, and there are a ton of firefighter/motorcycle clubs statewide! Granted, the lion share of these guys ride cruisers, but for the most part they wear their lids. After all we're the guys that pick up the pieces after the fact. Need to find out if it would be feasible to attack the helmet law itself, or overhaul the entire licensing process with other states as models. Obviously lawmakers want to change things, their changing things as we speak! I know this appears as, and ultimately is a monumental task. But again, look at what MADD has achieved. Might be able to contact them as well. How about the live to ride,ride to die group, possible allies? I know we're not the only 2 guys that are sick of the weekly list of DOA's. Today is tuesday, couple more days and we'll get a brand new list. Hopefully none of ours.

Another ally.................. specifically:

"Even if I can only save one kid, I know it's going to make a difference," Robin Klapatch said. "It's just the beginning because I'm not going to go away. We're going to get some safety programs started. We're talking to some motorcycle manufacturers."

check it out:
    http://www.baynews9.com/content/36/2...20/164814.html

There really are plenty of outlets for us to tap into...once we get started, Im sure we would be able to branch off and find plenty people to help us.

Ill be out of town til next monday, so give me some time to get things organized...but I definately wont lets the opportunity pass.

I agree that using other states' legislature is probably the most effective way of getting laws passed here...showing the numbers in one state, and comparing them to ours is always an easy way of showing the effectiveness. Another key factor in getting legislature passed is showing the COST EFFECTIVENESS. The amount of money the state would save due to the decrease in fatal motorcycle accidents would be very significant...and honestly, I wouldnt even have to go through calculating that myself. Without a doubt, someone has already crunched those numbers...

apping into the right organizations and bringing groups with common interests together will be key in getting things changed out here.

I want to thank everyone for keeping this thread serious and on topic. It means a lot to me and I appreciate it very much. Thank you. And thank you moderator for making it a sticky.
    The Wicked1
    "Do you want to see a donkey show?"

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13469469/

I just read this and thought it interesting that with stiffer regulations for new drivers, teen deaths were reduced by 20%. While this article is about driving, perhaps something like this is what we need to pursue to help new riders be safer. Enacting the passenger and daytime riding limits for those under 18 and/or within their first 6 months of having a permit (or license?) might help to reduce some deaths and injuries here.
    road trip to oz?...lol

check out

www.m-a-d-d.com
    The Wicked1
    "Do you want to see a donkey show?"

Quote Originally Posted by Wicked1
    check out

www.m-a-d-d.com
    Good site. Thanks Wicked!
    I just copied and sent their form letter to Jeb.
    road trip to oz?...lol

Letter sent. Thanx Wicked
    R.I.P. Chuck 10/20/07

^ +1

Quote Originally Posted by Wicked1
    check out

www.m-a-d-d.com
    excellent find man

Listen You Guys Dont Mean To Rain On Your Parade But This Is What Motorcycling Has Been About For Years.people Dying All The Time! Its A Hugh Risk To Ride.i Truely Believe That Its A Race Between The Guy That Hits You (when Ever That May Be) And You Improving Your Skill!!!(to Beable To Avoid Him/most Likely Her)(sorry Ladies Satistics Dont Lie) And If Your A New Rider(5yrs In Imo). Your Chrash Ratio Is Very High.(your Chances Of Crashing) I Have Close Calls Everyday I Ride But I'v Been Riding For A Long Time And Have Had It All Happen To Me At Least Twice. So I Can Read It B4 It Happens, And Iam Ready Most Times But Its No Garantee The Best Rider Can Be Taken Out On The Street/anyone!!!so My Whole Point Is Going To The Track! It Will Teach You Everything You Need To Know About Avoiding Any Situation At Any Given Time On The Street. It Will Make Riding On The Street More Enjoyable. So Many People Give Me The Same Excuses About Why They Cant Go To The Track(most Of Them On This Sitek9) But Yet They Will Ride On These North Runs And Risk Everything With Little Gain In Knowledge Of Riding???
    This Impresses And Confuses Me At The Same Time. But I'v Been Their Myself Which Is Why I Preach. Go To The ****ing Track! One Day Will Greatly Improve Your Skill On The Street If You Still Decide To Ride The Street That Is?????????????????????????????DO NOT WANT TO OFFEND ANYONE!IF I DID I APOLOGIZE.
    Last edited by moke; 08-28-2006 at 11:02 PM.
    "YOU ARE THE ONLY LIMIT THATS CONTROLLING YOUR BIKE"

"YOU CAN'T BOLT ON SKILL"

Way to dig up a dead horse and kick it one more time, lol. Your teh mang!

Dude your typing is wild too......from all caps to capitalizing the first letter in every word......messing with our heads arent you?

no just trying to conform to tsb nice guy straight arrow, no opinion, agree with everyone, no problems attitude,... you guys like it? soory(wckd) back on topic!
    "YOU ARE THE ONLY LIMIT THATS CONTROLLING YOUR BIKE"

"YOU CAN'T BOLT ON SKILL"

I tell people all the time... there is a time and a place... not to wheelie on main roads.. and if your going to ride stupid at least dont do it in traffic. Find a parking lot or back road..... wear your gear....

Honestly when I say things to people they look at me like I am stupid and pretty much tell me I am no fun.... I constantly hear... but I like to see peoples reactions, or running from the popo is fun, its FLORIDA its to hot to wear gear..... People are just stupid, I dont think they will change until either they get hurt/hurt someone or they get killed!

A friend once told me at least wear gloves.... that way after you crash you can at least wipe your own @ss... and change your own bandages!!

one big step is to get dealers involved. start at the source. have them give a good deal on gear, mabey even a free helmet, a decent one, but only with a msf course. Moke could deal with this one talk to the owner of your shop. I f someone(new rider, first bike) if they come in and have allready taken there mfs class give them liek 400 towards gear, and gear only. that way they could at least walk out with a helmet jacket and gloves. if deaths go down, MORE people would get bikes. cause it would be safer. also less people die more repete coustmers. but past that im not to sure about the helmet law, i think its stupid to not wear one but it is our choice. but i do like the idea of a teired system for CC's.