Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12347 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's End These Deaths!

liquid_iq Guest
    still a mandatory helmet law (anywhere the speed limit is over 15mph let's say - so the beach is ok) couldn't hurt. i've always worn a full-face helmet. after the law changed, i decided to try riding without one just down the street, with only sunglasses. the speed limit on my residential area street was 45mph and tears were streaming from my eyes and i could hardly see. not to mention the wind noise was insane. i never did it again.

i'm an advocate for smaller and less intrusive government, but changing the helmet law was just plain dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by liquid_iq
    still a mandatory helmet law (anywhere the speed limit is over 15mph let's say - so the beach is ok) couldn't hurt.
    Don't get me wrong I've been known to squid around the beach from time to time, but you do realize that even at 5 MPH your still f*cked if go down and land on your head.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaNu1142 View Post
    My mom gave me crabs when I was a kid.

Cool

I agree and support a biker fronted movement to spread the word and try to save some lives and maybe salvage some of our self image.
    I'm actually waving to cops and talking to them at my tables!!
    Just to try to let them know we're not all irresponsible, immature, bike punx.
    No offense to those injured and gone.
    If you ride I consider you kin to a point.
    I've ridden risky as hell! I've ridden w/no gear.
    But I'm as sick of this insanity as everyone else, riders and nonriders alike.
    I've read the cop threads talking about the possibility of them just jumping out and knocking us off our bikes, etc.
    This has gone too far!! I'm in 100% !!

I didn't post in the other thread about mandating of law but I must say I like this idea alot better. I don't think there should be any further regulations by the govn't and and 100% against the ideas of laws about size of bike, helmets, and what not. We should be free to make those decisions on our own.

I pretty much always wear a helmet but I will run down to the store for smokes in shorts, t-shirt, no helmet on occasion. I know alot of ya'll will say thats not a wise choice but I know the risk and leave a larger margin for error in those situations. I like that I am free to make that decision on my own without being harrased or ticketed. But thats just me..

Back on closer to the topic. I wonder if all bike shops will allow for including purchasing of gear with the financing of a new bike. I think they should and should request from their credit providers that this be allowed. Something as simple as this would make selling a complete gear package with a new bike that much easier. Hell they would make more money too.

Quote Originally Posted by jwinston
    Back on closer to the topic. I wonder if all bike shops will allow for including purchasing of gear with the financing of a new bike. I think they should and should request from their credit providers that this be allowed. Something as simple as this would make selling a complete gear package with a new bike that much easier. Hell they would make more money too.
    Yes, the dealers do let you finance the gears with the bike, if you have enough credit limit.

No only do they let you they try to screw you by selling over priced stuff and finance it in with the bike.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaNu1142 View Post
    My mom gave me crabs when I was a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by The _Jarhead
    Don't get me wrong I've been known to squid around the beach from time to time, but you do realize that even at 5 MPH your still f*cked if go down and land on your head.
    This is very true. I went down doing less than 5mph and broke three ribs. I am happy that I had my gear on.
    "I have Indian in me. I have just enough white blood for you to question my honesty!"
    Quote Originally Posted by BusaBiotch View Post
    A female and a male is the best combination. The next best combinations is two males and a female. It is usually two females that cause the most drama.
    Quote Originally Posted by ctate View Post
    We Know, You have bigger

Frank and Beans!!!!

LOL

liquid_iq Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mosh69
    I've read the cop threads talking about the possibility of them just jumping out and knocking us off our bikes, etc.
    WTF???

OK so me and my little tired butt stepped up and did this at a store yesterday. Dude walked out and put his helmet on and I went up to him and motioned for him to lift is visor. I asked him was that all the gear he ever wears with his bike. He said yeah I do it all the time. Then asked him how old he was he told me 24 then I asked him if he was just really naive or just really stupid. Dude looked at me like I was in crack. I told him that we just had a rider go down in Deals Gap and didnt make it. Some of you know the whole story but there was a devasting statement that made the guy think about his gear. I said some riders die wearing full gear. You are out here on a Honda CBR 900 RR which is a beautiful bike btw wearing "flip flops, baggy shorts, and tshirts with the arms cut out. I said I am sorry to be getting up in ya business but is it worth your life to look more cool than it is to be safe. Cause where I live we got some stupid drivers. He said I gave him something to think about and I went on about my day.

Ya'll just dont expect me to do that at night lol. But hopefully it will make him think.
    ~The sh!t you hear about me Might be true, but then again it could be as fake as the B!tch that told you!~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks, maybe he'll really think about wearing more gear.

This is exactly what I'm saying we should do! Really make them think.

Thanks, Dawn.
    The Wicked1
    "Do you want to see a donkey show?"

Check these numbers:

Study says motorcycle fatalities rise without helmets
    Sunday, June 18, 2006
    MELBOURNE (AP) - Motorcycle fatalities involving riders without helmets have soared in the nearly six years since Gov. Jeb Bush repealed the state's mandatory helmet law, Florida Today reported Sunday.

The paper's analysis of federal motorcycle crash statistics found "unhelmeted" deaths in Florida rose from 22 deaths in 1998 and 1999, the years before the helmet law repeal, to 250 deaths in 2004, the most recent data available.

By comparison, Florida logged 270 deaths of riders without helmets during the 1990s, when riding without a helmet was illegal, according to
    National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reports.

Total motorcycle deaths in the state have increased 67 percent from 259 in 2000 to 432 in 2004, statistics show.

Records also show a corresponding rise in the popularity of motorcycles in Florida. Motorcycle registrations have increased 87 percent in Florida since Bush signed the helmet law repeal on July 1, 2000.

The debate about motorcycle helmet safety resurfaced last week when Pittsburgh Steelers Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, an advocate of helmet-free riding, broke his jaw, nose and several teeth in an accident. He underwent seven hours of surgery.

Merritt Island motorcyclist and helmet law opponent Dave Carroll said the helmet law debate is misguided.

"The media spent way too much time harping on the helmet issue and not enough on the cause of the accident," Carroll said. "What causes most of the crashes is cars. Usually, it's the car driver turning left at an intersection and causing an accident because they didn't see us coming."

Physicians and insurance companies said helmets are crucial safety gear.

"We used to call (helmetless riders) 'organ donors,' because they break their head and not their body," said Dr. David Harbour, who works in the emergency room at Wuesthoff Medical Center in Rockledge. "You can actually fix a broken bone. But if you hit your head and hurt your brain, there's little we can do to fix that."

Copyright 2006 Associated Press. All right reserved.

Wear yer hat guys!

Here's a nice reality check...This Sunday, I went to the movies with my brother. At the theatre, I notice a GSX-R600 parked out front, helmet on lock. Cool, I think to myself, but then I notice that there are no stickers and the mirrors and lower fairings are cracked. This is a brand new bike, too. ('06) My brother and I are still looking at it when the girl who owns it comes out. I strike up a conversation with her and find out she's been riding for 3 and 1/2 months, this is her first bike ever, and she just finished the MSF course a week ago. She was driving without a learner's or endorsement for over three months. She's already laid it down and when I asked her if she left her gloves and jacket at home, she said, "I left my gloves at home, but I don't have a jacket, yet."

I asked her why she got a 600 as a first bike and she said, "It was the smallest of the three."

She drove off with a white tank top, no gloves, pants and sneakers. And it was starting to rain. I was worried for her.

I hope she wises up. I did what I could, but she was in a hurry to get someplace and basically didn't give me time to really talk to her about wearing gear. I'm glad she was wearing a helmet, but I think she's making a lot of mistakes that could seriously bite her in the ass.
    The Wicked1
    "Do you want to see a donkey show?"

22 people died in 1998 not wearing a helmet when there WAS a helmet law???
    What? I don't ever remember seeing anybody not wearing a helmet back then?
    What's up with that?

Quote Originally Posted by Greene22
    22 people died in 1998 not wearing a helmet when there WAS a helmet law???
    What? I don't ever remember seeing anybody not wearing a helmet back then?
    What's up with that?

Good question! Probably guys trying to sneek in a ride after hours and got smoked?

Quote Originally Posted by Wicked1
    Thanks, maybe he'll really think about wearing more gear.

This is exactly what I'm saying we should do! Really make them think.

Thanks, Dawn.
    TY do what I can when I can.
    ~The sh!t you hear about me Might be true, but then again it could be as fake as the B!tch that told you!~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by MianoSM
    I'm going to go ahead and Hi-Jack the thread here - has anyone here taken the Experienced Riders Course, I was told at the Basic Course, that after about 3,000 miles you should be well prepared for it.......

I'm nearly at 4,000 miles now - and think I'd be a better rider if I took it, who's with me?

Absolutly awesome class to take! Worth every penny and then some!!!

infact... I have the whole entire curriculum at home if anyone wants a copy of it.
    Last edited by migsgsxr; 06-19-2006 at 06:15 PM.
    ~Migs~

Semper Fi
    USMC/CCS #50
    I am not crazy... I am a risk technician!
    "Evil prevails when good men fail to act..."
    http://facebook.com/miguel.aviles.jr

Coming from Rhode Island..they do it right. To get ur license.. u have to take a course.. which is really a MSF course..half track and half classroom with honda rebels 250cc (then permit for a month; can't go 2up, get any moving violation you lose ur permit for 6 months)..and obviously there is a helmet law. The police actually pull you over if u dont have a helmet on, and they do license checks on the regular. Its been like that forever, the amount of motorcycle fatalities is significantly less than most comparable states (with 3-5 month riding seasons).

Florida is f*****g backwards.

JF

Quote Originally Posted by SouthTAMPACBRF2

Florida is f*****g backwards.

JF
    Hey buddy... bad naming and shouting out the F word isn't going to solve the problem.

A more constructive idea would be to make a huge rally, get the attention of the media (stopping at one of the News stations) and relay the message that we as riders are fed up with it.

Making such statements as " Florida is f*****g backwards" isn't quite going to cut it or relay the message across to people. Not to mention, we have seen this kind of behavior before in other forums and it leads to nothing.
    ~Migs~

Semper Fi
    USMC/CCS #50
    I am not crazy... I am a risk technician!
    "Evil prevails when good men fail to act..."
    http://facebook.com/miguel.aviles.jr

I promised to follow-up on the issue..and I did.

Today while running around to different offices with the department of health, I met someone who we can talk to for any questions we have. He is a former FHP, and is a HUGE advocate for the helmet laws and proper training of motorcyclists. I cant remember the exact name of his organization, but it involves motor vehicle safety. I talked to him for a good 15 minutes outside, and he is willing to sit down and talk to anyone really interested in doing something. He used to be a lobbyist on the same issues in the past, so he knows his stuff.

I know the Harley riders lobby in favor of the "you ride, you decide" attitude when it comes to helmets, and their money (and lobbying) is what keeps that stupid law in place. Lobbying requires both registering, and some funding....and putting ourselves against them is pretty hard to take on by ourselves obviously (dont know about the rest of you...but im broke). BUT, Im sure he could put us in touch with some people that are looking to change the current situation here in Florida, and have the means to do it. anybody seriously looking to help would probably have plenty to do. Even if we just show our support to some of these lobbyists by getting together and getting petitions signed, thats a definate step in the right direction. Of course, we could also present them with any additional ideas that we have.

those are just some ideas/thoughts as far as what we could do, and how he could help out.

Now...with all that said, I dont know what everyones preferred approach to the situation is here; but if anyone is seriously thinking of getting involved, step up to the plate and let me know.

Ill be in touch with this guy regardless...lemme know if you "want in"

lets have a rally, i will get my pics, jacket, helmet, boots, and gloves from my first accident out into the public to show what a 45mph wreck WITH a mesh jacket can do, its pretty bad, i couldnt imagine what it would have been like without it.
    Q: what do you do if your girlfriend starts smoking?
    A: slow down and add lube.

{{{>======<}}} <,((((><}