Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: First RACE DAY

stunt double
    Oh Look another SAE!!!!
    When the FCUK did we get Ice Cream!!!!!!!

OH LOOK>>>>> CUPCAKES...
    JGP Best 118 seconds
    HMIS Best
    2:19.424

Daytona................
    CCS AM 898
    Yes i hold a track record, and NO it will never be broken

Gitmo

So what is it like starting on a grid and going into 1? Are you at normal entry speed already?

I can't wait for my first track day...one day.

Can't they grow some freaking grass out there in those sandy corners?

pics coming in 3....2......1.....

oh and we had one casualty over the weekend....RIP.....sorry Sharyn.
    Last edited by ShortyR6; 04-06-2009 at 10:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Over_Easy View Post
    I can't wait for my first track day...one day.

Can't they grow some freaking grass out there in those sandy corners?
    Those sandy corners are new. I'm sure there will be grass there soon.

Quote Originally Posted by buckwild750 View Post
    So what is it like starting on a grid and going into 1? Are you at normal entry speed already?
    ha ha ha, that was a little unsettleing... I dont think i was at full pace, like when i come outta 14, so the speed isnt as fast, and i want to thank randy for his advice on how to survive that...

Just a lot of people, you sit there and and say to yourself, HOLD YOUR LINE, and you pray that everyone else does the same...

Worst part of one of my races, i went wide going full speed thru T-2 and rode the entire rumble strip on the outside of the track, that was wild.....
    Oh Look another SAE!!!!

OH LOOK>>>>> CUPCAKES...
    JGP Best 118 seconds
    HMIS Best

Daytona................
    CCS AM 898

Gitmo

oh and during practice on Sat, turn 9 on the inside was sandy as hell, and i got too tight in there and the whole bike slid and wobbled... stood up in the seat to get the bike to settle... spoooooky
    Oh Look another SAE!!!!

OH LOOK>>>>> CUPCAKES...
    JGP Best 118 seconds
    HMIS Best

Daytona................
    CCS AM 898

Gitmo

Well it's good you stayed on the track. I've spent plenty of time riding on the grass after 2 lol.

that was kind of fun going into T1 with all those bikes piled in there. its like trying to walk through a club that is packed. you just have to pick a line, or change your line to get around someone. the fun starts when everyone is up to speed and everyone is trying to thread it through T3. that is where i like to do my most damage. you can carry a lot of speed through there and make some great passes.

after about half a lap, everyone is starting to get single file and setting up for passes or walking away from slower riders.
    Last edited by ShortyR6; 04-06-2009 at 10:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ShortyR6 View Post
    that was kind of fun going into T1 with all those bikes piled in there. its like trying to walk through a club that is packed. you just have to pick a line, or change your line to get around someone. the fun starts when everyone is up to speed and everyone is trying to thread it through T3. that is where i like to do my most damage. you can carry a lot of speed through there and make some great passes.

after about half a lap, everyone is starting to get single file and setting up for passes or walking away from slower riders.
    +1 and believe me, shorty flies thru 3 and 4, he passed a bunch of people in there.. And the best (too bad i missed it) was his pass of 3 guys going into T-1

Even dwire said it was a great pass....
    Oh Look another SAE!!!!

OH LOOK>>>>> CUPCAKES...
    JGP Best 118 seconds
    HMIS Best

Daytona................
    CCS AM 898

Gitmo

Yikes, I have mental issues with turn 3 and I'd probably freak out. 2 motards split me in turn 4 last Monday. I nearly shit my pants.

Yikes, I have mental issues with turn 3 and I'd probably freak out. 2 motards split me in turn 4 last Monday. I nearly shit my pants.
    the key is to get a drive out of one, as soon as you start to stand the bike up you need to be on the throttle stop, you dont let off until you get to the break markers which i use as shift points and turn in points. i go one down at the "2" marker and begin my turn in with neutral throttle, once i get the bike back over at T4 back on the gas and down shift one more as you roll to the left and back on the throttle hard out of T6. you can really haul the mail through that back section out there.

ha ha ha, yeah it is freaky cuz on track days, guys tend to dial back a bit, some might choose to NOT pass when they have an opening and wait for a bigger opening at the next turn, but in a race, all bets are off, you leave an opening, and it will be taken...... I had a few people dive under me over the weekend, just about to dive in, and then change your line.

Then there are guys who were faster then me on the straight parts, but i carried more corner speed, so i had to check up from rear ending them in the corners... It was fun, i learned so much this weekend about myself, my riding style, and trusting my tires...
    Oh Look another SAE!!!!

OH LOOK>>>>> CUPCAKES...
    JGP Best 118 seconds
    HMIS Best

Daytona................
    CCS AM 898

Gitmo

Quote Originally Posted by ShortyR6 View Post
    the key is to get a drive out of one, as soon as you start to stand the bike up you need to be on the throttle stop, you dont let off until you get to the break markers which i use as shift points and turn in points. i go one down at the "2" marker and begin my turn in with neutral throttle, once i get the bike back over at T4 back on the gas and down shift one more as you roll to the left and back on the throttle hard out of T6. you can really haul the mail through that back section out there.
    I get a really good drive out of 1, all the way to the 3 marker at turn 3. That's when I'm saying Holy Shit!, braking and down shifting all at once. I just need someone to drag me through there at speed a bunch of times (hint hint ;-))

Quote Originally Posted by griffinzx10 View Post
    Then there are guys who were faster then me on the straight parts, but i carried more corner speed, so i had to check up from rear ending them in the corners... It was fun, i learned so much this weekend about myself, my riding style, and trusting my tires., I like cack
    TMI

I get a really good drive out of 1, all the way to the 3 marker at turn 3. That's when I'm saying Holy Shit!, braking and down shifting all at once. I just need someone to drag me through there at speed a bunch of times (hint hint ;-))

TMI

ha ha ha douche.....

Buck all I can honestly say is ride your own pace, dont FEEL you have to go faster, each time you will natuarally progress and get faster. You have known me for a while and pretty much known me since around the time i first started going to the track.

You know how I have progressed, at my own pace, and done so without incidents..(knock on wood) i know it is coming, i dont want it to, but it will happen sooner or later.... But the best advice i can give is progress slowly, at your pace at a pace you are comfortable with, and you will be fine.

Each time i have gone to jennings, i just got a little faster each time....

Also riding different tracks helps sooo much.

Go ride homestead, you'll learn about braking and realize that jennings you really dont need to brake at all.....

Daytona teaches you about decreasing radius turns, and being comfortable at HIGH SPEEDS, and on the banking, that is scarey.. But then speed at jennings, not as fast as daytona, and not banked, the speed isnt as bad leaned over a little.

Every track teaches you something different. Also watching faster riders at different parts of the track, like this weekend, i realized that T-12 was a cambered turn... Never really noticed that
    Oh Look another SAE!!!!

OH LOOK>>>>> CUPCAKES...
    JGP Best 118 seconds
    HMIS Best

Daytona................
    CCS AM 898

Gitmo

TMI
    see, there you go.....using your breaks. dont break through there, just carry the speed into three and you have to really fight the bike back over to T4. try to roll off a little sooner and dont use breaks, and see how much you can carry through there. once you get more comfortable with that, you can not roll off as soon and stay on the throttle.

right now i only use breaks at T1 and T13. i keep telling myself i dont need them, but my brain wins and i end up pulling on them a bit before entering the corner. in may for sure, i will hope to break myself of using breaks anywhere out there until i can get a lil faster.

Thank for the write up JC. Glad to see you had a blast.

Sorry, I could not make it. I had prior commitments.
    02 C5 Coupe
    03 GSXR 600 (sold)
    One Day Another Viper

I would like to add a thank you to one more person and also express a public apology for my forgetting to mentiond this in my original post.

I would like to thank Jarhead and Pure Acceleration for giving ShortyR6 and myself 2 CCS passes for the race weekend. The passes covered the $25.00 get fee and saved us 50.00 bucks.

Thanks Jarhead, and i am sorry i forgot to mention this sooner.... It was a big help, saving any amount of money when doing a track day or race weekend helps. that 50.00 you saved us in gate fees definately helped towards other things.....
    Oh Look another SAE!!!!

OH LOOK>>>>> CUPCAKES...
    JGP Best 118 seconds
    HMIS Best

Daytona................
    CCS AM 898

Gitmo

Quote Originally Posted by griffinzx10 View Post
    I would like to add a thank you to one more person and also express a public apology for my forgetting to mentiond this in my original post.

I would like to thank Jarhead and Pure Acceleration for giving ShortyR6 and myself 2 CCS passes for the race weekend. The passes covered the $25.00 get fee and saved us 50.00 bucks.

Thanks Jarhead, and i am sorry i forgot to mention this sooner.... It was a big help, saving any amount of money when doing a track day or race weekend helps. that 50.00 you saved us in gate fees definately helped towards other things.....
    oh man, i forgot all about those.....yes, big to jarhead for those. it slipped my mind with all the excitment of the weekend. I will be sure to have some cold ones waiting for you in May.

+100000000000000000000000000000000
    Oh Look another SAE!!!!

OH LOOK>>>>> CUPCAKES...
    JGP Best 118 seconds
    HMIS Best

Daytona................
    CCS AM 898

Gitmo