Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: riders down posting rules Q&A

Ok, not to be a thread jacker or anything, but I remember not too long ago, a big uproar being made, and me being scolded for rider down thread, and it being moved yada yada for specific reasons :

griffinzx10

new rules for the Riders down section
    We at TSB are going to be changing the rules to posting in this area going forward.

We care about any injured rider, and we all feel for those that lose their life while riding...

With respect to everyone involved, the riders, family and friends we are now going to moderate all posts in this section..

Please post information that you know FIRST HAND... Hearing something, or seeing something does not count. If you know first hand info please post it, but if you do not have all the details, please keep it off the site until ALL the information is known..

We are doing this to avoid people from posting things like, Saw a blue and white GSXR down... This causes everyone who knows someone with that color bike from freaking out, and calling every person...

Since this site has gotten so big, we dont want friends and family members reading about a loved one going down on this site first, before hearing from the authorities...

We hope that everyone understands and complies with this new rule, that will make things easier for everyone..

Quote Originally Posted by Tarbaby View Post
    Good question, however, without the rider's NAME and/or SPECIFIC type of bike, these type of posts usually create and cause needless worry and concern.

It is sad that another rider has lost their life, but let's face it, with the nondescript "2001 Kawi", "2005 Suzuki", etc that media sources print (from police report/registration records), it could just as easily be a sportbike or a cruiser...

Why is it now, that the exact same thing is happening again, and it seems ok for people to do it now, when it is directly what I was told cant be done anymore? ???

Im sure there is some "reason" why its ok now ofcourse

tarbaby's note
    post moved from here
    Last edited by Tarbaby; 03-16-2008 at 07:24 PM.
    http://www.myspace.com/proxykillah

http://www.eff.org/ Support the EFF fight against the Evil RIAA/MPAA

Quote Originally Posted by Linux/Joe View Post
    Ok, not to be a thread jacker or anything, but I remember not too long ago, a big uproar being made, and me being scolded for rider down thread, and it being moved yada yada for specific reasons :

Why is it now, that the exact same thing is happening again, and it seems ok for people to do it now, when it is directly what I was told cant be done anymore? ???

admins have to approve of all rider down threads before they even show up on the forum... so an admin had to approve this one too...

maybe because it included a news article?

tarbaby's note
    post moved from here
    2004 Yamaha YZF600R -- sold
    2008 Triumph Daytona 675 Spec Ed. -- Totalled
    2006 Ducati 749 Dark -- Sold
    2008 Suzuki GSXR 1000 -- Sold
    2006 Yamaha R6 50th Anniversary Edition - Sold

facebook.com/cflan423

Could be, but it still goes back to my point that there is no identifying information in the article, which Tarbaby so clearly pointed out, and griff for that fact in the previous quoted post's. Not that I really care, just seems like a double standard, which I see a lot of on here, but when you speak out against it- your blackballed - again, not that I care, just an observation.

tarbaby's note
    post moved from here

Could be, but it still goes back to my point that there is no identifying information in the article, which Tarbaby so clearly pointed out, and griff for that fact in the previous quoted post's. Not that I really care, just seems like a double standard, which I see a lot of on here, but when you speak out against it- your blackballed - again, not that I care, just an observation.
    yea i hear ya... i was just sayin tho...

tarbaby's note
    post moved from here

facebook.com/cflan423

Quote Originally Posted by 08 SEX75 View Post
    admins have to approve of all rider down threads before they even show up on the forum... so an admin had to approve this one too...

maybe because it included a news article?
    why would a admin have to approve a rider down thread?

So if I happen to see a rider down. No one can post a thread until someone appoves it..

I don't understand why..

tarbaby's note
    post moved from here
    Last edited by Tarbaby; 03-16-2008 at 07:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BLACK View Post

So if I happen to see a rider down. No one can post a thread until someone appoves it..

I don't understand why..
    Because too many people would be driving an see a bike accident then run home an post "Silver honda wrecked on 22nd" without any other details an everyone on the board would be flipping out calling anyone they know with a silver honda. So now, threads have to wait to be approved by an admin to make sure there are no misleading details about the accident report.

tarbaby's note
    post moved from here
    Last edited by Tarbaby; 03-16-2008 at 07:25 PM.

facebook.com/cflan423

in a flooded out shack in Dunedin with M.E.

The original post (in the gen.info section) was about the bridge being closed due to a bike wreck. Meanwhile, another thread was started in the riders down section with confirmed and published info (from wtsp and tbo) with the riders name, etc.. The two threads were merged and the RD thread was approved.

Moderator Log
    Date User Name Action Post
    23:14, 15th Mar 2008 griffinzx10 Thread merged from multiple threads
    23:14, 15th Mar 2008 griffinzx10 Approved Thread
    23:14, 15th Mar 2008 griffinzx10 Approved Post N/A
    23:14, 15th Mar 2008 griffinzx10 Approved Post Motorcyclist Killed; Memorial Causeway Bridge Closed
    20:18, 16th Mar 2008 Tarbaby Thread split to threadid 15750.
    20:42, 16th Mar 2008 Tarbaby Thread title (original 'Hope it wasnt anyone here!') changed
    20:42, 16th Mar 2008 Tarbaby Thread edited. (visible: 1; open: 1; sticky: 0)

Joe, hope that answers your question why this RD thread was approved.
    Last edited by Tarbaby; 03-16-2008 at 07:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by xavier31fl
    road trip to oz?...lol
    Quote Originally Posted by CandyCane on 1/14/07
    donna always made a point to ride anything with wheels, so it was called ho'ing
    Yep! That's why I am called the "Bike Ho".

Quote Originally Posted by BLACK View Post

I don't understand why..
    tarbaby's note
    post moved from here
    Quote Originally Posted by 08 SEX75 View Post
    Because too many people would be driving an see a bike accident then run home an post "Silver honda wrecked on 22nd" without any other details an everyone on the board would be flipping out calling anyone they know with a silver honda. So now, threads have to wait to be approved by an admin to make sure there are no misleading details about the accident report.

tarbaby's note
    post moved from here
    Thanks 08Sex75 for post a more current answer.

Black, does the above answer work for you?
    road trip to oz?...lol

someone give the mods a break and please pass the salt

Steve

2010 Concours14 (everyone asks mileage, its now >109,000)
    KTM EXC
    ZX9R
    ZZR600 all lowered and its for Teressa

Yeah that works for me no prob, at the time of the post it was before the rider's name was updated on bay10 so I was just wondering if it was a change back to the old... thanks
    Last edited by Linux/Joe; 03-16-2008 at 08:56 PM.

Yeah that works for me no prob, at the time of the post it was before the rider's name was updated on bay10 ... thanks
    Admin NOTE:

BLACKBALLED...

Joe, this isnt a perfect science.... Remember we are NOT perfect devine beings, and at times make mistakes. If everything were simple and the same each and every time then consistency would be great, but since each situation is different, sometimes things dont have a clear and simple answer.

If in the past you felt singled out, then I apologize, we try to do the best we can. I saw the orginal post, with little info, then someone else posted the same accident with the web link.. I merged the two, and then approved, maybe it was too early to approve... But I figured that since 2 people already posted it, i just approved before more started posting the same.

Again, I hope you dont feel that you were singled out, but by stating that there are double standards on here, then you might have some negative views toward the site, and the way we run things.

Again, I apologize, we cant make everyone happy nor DO the PERFECT thing EVERY SINGLE TIME....

Oh Look another SAE!!!!
    When the FCUK did we get Ice Cream!!!!!!!

OH LOOK>>>>> CUPCAKES...
    JGP Best 118 seconds
    HMIS Best
    2:19.424

Daytona................
    CCS AM 898
    Yes i hold a track record, and NO it will never be broken

Gitmo

Nah i dont have any negative views at all, I wasnt meaning myself - ive noticed it with a few other people. Kinda like a clique of people that run in a group, and others kinda get the railroad treatment sometimes. It happens all over the place, i was just making an observation is all

Nah i dont have any negative views at all, I wasnt meaning myself - ive noticed it with a few other people. Kinda like a clique of people that run in a group, and others kinda get the railroad treatment sometimes. It happens all over the place, i was just making an observation is all

Oh Look another SAE!!!!
    When the FCUK did we get Ice Cream!!!!!!!

OH LOOK>>>>> CUPCAKES...
    JGP Best 118 seconds
    HMIS Best
    2:19.424

Daytona................
    CCS AM 898
    Yes i hold a track record, and NO it will never be broken

Gitmo

Not to drudge up an argument or anything...lol...but I've suddenly found myself in a situation where this issue is relevant to me and what I observed this morning.

When an accident as such happens, is it not in eveyone's best interest word spread as fast as possible? I mean, what's the REAL tactical advantage to withholding the info.?

Personally, I would want to be the FIRST one to know, ASAP, through whatever channel, regardless of how accurate the report is. That can be worked out later. I think that's the most important aspect. By actually withholding potentially important information, precious time could be lost. It could actually mean the difference between someone making it to the hospital in time BEFORE the police get around to notifying the right person. Isn't that very realistic potential outcome alone worth a bunch of harmless calls?

Take my situation for example, I'm pretty much "plugged in" to the PC most of the day (and that's no long atypical in this day and age (as is evident by all the postwhores on this site!!)). There's a better chance than not, I'd get my info. quicker through here by the time the authorities work everything out.

So it results in people getting paranoid, "Are you all right?" phone calls, so what? Hey, who knows, maybe triggering that conversation can lead to someone remembering they forgot something, or any one of a million other possible outcomes.

I just think the potential to get someone vital info. quicker than the cops exceeds the low-level paranoia the ambiguity causes.

IMHO, of course.....

I think some people just like the attention of being able to post "Rider down!!!" I am one of those and if I drive by a guy laying in the driveway of his house changing the oil in his bike, I'm creating a "Rider Down!!!" post.
    Team Novice Charter Member
    Swartz sponsored
    "Crash test dummy"

Quote Originally Posted by 777R View Post
    Not to drudge up an argument or anything...lol...but I've suddenly found myself in a situation where this issue is relevant to me and what I observed this morning.

When an accident as such happens, is it not in eveyone's best interest word spread as fast as possible? I mean, what's the REAL tactical advantage to withholding the info.?

Personally, I would want to be the FIRST one to know, ASAP, through whatever channel, regardless of how accurate the report is. That can be worked out later. I think that's the most important aspect. By actually withholding potentially important information, precious time could be lost. It could actually mean the difference between someone making it to the hospital in time BEFORE the police get around to notifying the right person. Isn't that very realistic potential outcome alone worth a bunch of harmless calls?

Take my situation for example, I'm pretty much "plugged in" to the PC most of the day (and that's no long atypical in this day and age (as is evident by all the postwhores on this site!!)). There's a better chance than not, I'd get my info. quicker through here by the time the authorities work everything out.

So it results in people getting paranoid, "Are you all right?" phone calls, so what? Hey, who knows, maybe triggering that conversation can lead to someone remembering they forgot something, or any one of a million other possible outcomes.

I just think the potential to get someone vital info. quicker than the cops exceeds the low-level paranoia the ambiguity causes.

IMHO, of course.....

I see your point but there is also a down side I don't think you are considering.

Lets say my wife comes home from work and jumps on to postwhore a bit.
    First think she sees is a post that says "Blue bike down on I-75 RIP rider"
    There si not real information in the post just that there were parts of a blue bike throw about half a mile down I-75 and there was body under a yellow tarp. No w My wife is freaking out she can't even call me cause if it's not me I'm on the bike and can't answer if it is well I can't answer either.
    Now other people are readying the same thing and realize hey I ride I-75 when I go in the office. Now she is getting calls from umpteen people asking if I'm OK.

45 min later I come strolling in the door smoking a cigarette and looking for a beer only to find my wife either A) freaked out and crying or B) Planning a try to the Bahamas with the insurance money

OK we may have some great sex that night, but is that kind of emotional roller coaster needed if you there are no details to help the person out?

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaNu1142 View Post
    My mom gave me crabs when I was a kid.

...When an accident as such happens, is it not in eveyone's best interest word spread as fast as possible? I mean, what's the REAL tactical advantage to withholding the info.?

Personally, I would want to be the FIRST one to know, ASAP, through whatever channel, regardless of how accurate the report is. ... By actually withholding potentially important information, precious time could be lost. It could actually mean the difference between someone making it to the hospital in time BEFORE the police get around to notifying the right person. Isn't that very realistic potential outcome alone worth a bunch of harmless calls?

I just think the potential to get someone vital info. quicker than the cops exceeds the low-level paranoia the ambiguity causes....
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Jarhead View Post
    I see your point but there is also a down side I don't think you are considering.

Lets say my wife comes home from work and .... sees is a post that says "Blue bike down on I-75 RIP rider"
    There is not real information ..... Now My wife is freaking out she can't even call me cause if it's not me I'm on the bike and can't answer if it is well I can't answer either. Now other people are reading the same thing ... Now she is getting calls from umpteen people asking if I'm OK.

45 min later I come strolling in the door... ...that kind of emotional roller coaster needed if you there are no details to help the person out?
    Jarhead gives another clear reason WHY it is bad to post VAGUE info without REAL details. It causes unnecessary worry and concern when it doesn't need to. Yes, we all want to be "the first" to know, but without solid concrete information, it creates too much stress for those that you're now calling to verify if it was them (or their brother/sister/spouse/neighbor/etc) that went down.

When Rich (xavier31fl) died, Sherri posted the info, but couldn't name the source (HIPA rules) and it left us to question her and the source. Then, we couldn't remember Rich's last name, so we hoped that it wasn't really him. He lived with his mom and she wasn't there to answer our phone calls. Eva was so stressed from the police visit that she had to be taken to the hospital and I didn't get a return call from his sister until much later that night. It was very stressful and a situation that I don't want to relive or wish on anyone else.

When Sherri (cbrhottie) was killed, I got a few phone calls asking verification of her last name. Then the calls turned into a "well, if that really is her last name....." and they got to relay the news that she was gone. If I didn't know her last name, then the calls would've just created stress for me as well etc etc

If it is a serious accident, then the "precious (hospital) time lost" really doesn't exist unless you're a family member in which you "should" get the family call from police or other family members. If the rider is in bad shape and can't speak, ICU access is only granted to family or who the family may authorize to visit. If the rider can speak and grants access to non-family members, then its probably not a life and death situation where I would consider it "death bed" visit.

These are a few of the reasons that we don't post vague or half information.
    Again, if you were part of a ride where someone went down bad, yes, its ok to post that while on a ride, XXX went down with XX as initial injuries and was taken to XX hospital OR that XX went down and didn't make it. It is ok to post if you see a printed article (tbo, etc) and know that XX being written about is XX on the forum. As previously mentioned, we don't know everybody's last names and seeing an obit/article about a downed rider doesn't always seem that it would hit close to home... but sometimes it does.
    Last edited by Tarbaby; 03-21-2008 at 11:30 AM.
    road trip to oz?...lol

I see the reasons, I just don't agree, and think the one time it can come in useful is worth the paranoia. I suppose I'll leave it at that. Above and beyond that, this mechanism is essentially being dictated by those who do get overly paranoid, but that's just the way people are, can't really fault someone for caring that much...

Anyway, as such, can anyone think of a better way to actually somehow relate what they saw without creating such paranoia? Is there some way to share "Orange-ish bike down on Bloomingdale near 301, 7:15am, helmeted rider lying motionless on wet pavement"?

Anyway, as such, can anyone think of a better way to actually somehow relate what they saw without creating such paranoia? Is there some way to share "Orange-ish bike down on Bloomingdale near 301, 7:15am, helmeted rider lying motionless on wet pavement"?
    If someone told me, or I read/saw on the news, or even overheard, "Some girl on a black bike went down at "blah blah blah'," where 'blah blah blah' is anywhere in Pinellas or Hillsborough County, then I'm calling my wife to make sure it wasn't her. Oh, sorry--you probably wanted a more concise answer:

No.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaNu1142 View Post
    No.
    i'm paranoid enough as is...
    2006 SV650S
    "If she changes her oil more than she changes her mind, follow her."
    "If you should die before me, ask if you can bring a friend." ~ STP