Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gear is cheaper than you think, look inside!

Arrow Gear is cheaper than you think, look inside!

Now that I got your attention, many of us on this board want you to know that it doesn't cost nearly as much as you think to purchase "full" gear.

The reality is, many people spend more money on just a leather jacket and helmet, by making their purchase at an expensive local retailer (stealership), than what is costs to purchase good quality "full" gear.

If you don't know what gear to buy, which brand, and what price to you should expect to pay, this thread is for you!

The question(s) are:

1) What brand should I buy?

2) What should I expect to pay?

3) Where can I find it?

The best way to answer this is to put together a list of what are good deals on the various gear and where you can get them. These examples are not the only brands or stores where you can get good deals. They are simply examples of what you can find.

First thing we need to do is establish what is "full" gear. My definition of "full" gear is: helmet, leather jacket, leather pants, gauntlet style gloves (go over you wrist, not just to your wrist), and riding boots.

Helmet - when many people buy a bike, the first thing they do is run out and buy the most expensive helmet they can afford. A lot of times this $500-$800 purchase completely cleans out their budget and they can't afford to buy all the necessary gear.

You can get a good quality helmet, that passes all the same standards as the high end helmets for much less. Granted it may not be the lightest and may not have all the bells and whistles, but it will work and all of them still look just as cool as the next dude in the really expensive helmet.

Expect to pay: You can pick up a great helmet from $75-$250 depending on the brand and which model.

KBC, HJC, Scorpion to name just a few sell in this range. I suggest purchasing or at least test fitting the exact helmet locally. Most people purchase a helmet 1 or 2 sizes too big because they don't know how they are suppossed to fit. Get a sales associate to help you size it right.

Example: Here is an excellent quality $279.99 helmet on sale for $139.99 http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1...ier2=11&spec=Y

You can go to Cycle Gear Cycle Gear - http://www.cyclegear.com/ locally (off Florida and Fletcher) and try helmets on. They even honor online discounts through the store.

Jacket and Pants - most people think they cannot afford a decent quality leather suit (pants and jacket). And even if you could, many think it would be too hot to wear often. Thanks to Chris (Vader) he let us all in on a great deal on a perforated (meaning it has lots of little holes that allow cool air through) 2 piece leather suit. Due to the weather in Florida, this is really the only leather anyone should buy, perforated. Also having a 2 piece suit that zips the jacket to the pants allows flexibility of being able to take the jacket off while taking breaks or eating at restaurants.

*side note: they tested jeans in a magazine a few years back and rated jeans to be no good at speeds over 30mph, if I remember correctly. If I find the link, I'll edit this message and post it, but please don't think jeans are "safety" gear, because they aren't and are only better than just wearing shorts or dress pants.*

Expect to pay: You can pick up a good quality 2 piece suit online and somtimes at local shops for between $300-$400.

Example: 2 piece perforated leather suit. Internet sale price of $299, normally a $500 suit! http://www.motoxoutlet.com/index.asp...OD&ProdID=1157

**For those of you that may need "custom" sizing for your jacket/pants, contact http://www.syedleathers.com/ They can get you fitted in any size.

Boots - many people overlook this item the most and just wear sneakers. However this item can be approached really cheaply. Walmart sells decent "boots" of all kinds any where from $20-$80. Even these regular boots are much better than sneakers.

If you want real motorcycle boots, you can find them all over the internet cheap or at a major motorcycle event/race where vendors may set up booths.

Expect to pay: You can find motorcycle boots online from $125-$250

Example: Oxtar racing boots for $161. You can find good deals on several brands for this price. http://www.newenough.com/boots/racin...ing_boots.html

Gloves - this item is a hit or miss. I've seen some people wear gloves and no helmet and others with an expensive leather jacket, gloves and shorts? If you fall/wreck the first instinct you will have is to put your hands out to cushion your fall. Most people need their hands to "work," whatever your job may be. You want to protect them.

Best "type" of glove to buy is a "gauntlet" style glove that goes over you wrist and leaves no "gap" of skin exposed to be injured in the event of a crash.

Expect to pay: You can pick up a good set of gauntlet gloves between $50-$125 depending on the deal available.

Example: Here is a list of Alpinstar gloves cheap. SP-1, SP-2, SP-3 are all great gloves. http://www.newenough.com/browse/bran...es/alpinestars

Conclusion: Gear is essential to riding. If you are going to ride a motorcycle, it only makes sense to "dress" accordingly. If you were going swimming, you'd wear a swim suit right? If you were going to a wedding, you'd wear formal attire right? You get the idea

So on the low end getting good deals and buying the gear as cheaply as possible you could spend as little as $550, thats right $550 or on the higher end of the good deals spend around $1,000.

If you can't afford to spend $550-$1,000 on gear, then you can't afford your bike and, much less the cost of the hospital bills and the pain and long term injuries that could result. Some of you guys out there may have medical insurance deductibles higher than what it cost to buy all the gear!

So no excuses that you can't afford full gear, because you can!!

Ride safe and remember A T G A T T (All The Gear All The Time)

ATTN: Please do not post in this thread for the sake of posting. I ask that if you are going to post in here, that it would only be a post regarding a link to a good deal on gear for others or a link to a discount store. Pay it foward!

Last edited by Green Goblin; 11-15-2007 at 03:24 PM.

Great post, I'm behind ya 100%. I'm personally working on the pants and boots at the moment, getting there slowly but surely. Even in yedterday's weather, high of 92, I was still fully dressed.

People looking for gear should call Frank at Pure Acceleration, the man gets crazy good deals, and can sourfce just about any piece of gear you want.

its like beating a dead horse...call frank at pure acceleration...thats where i get all my gear, electronics, parts, etc. Great deals and worth your time!!!
    '06 CBR 1000RR

Ever been to an orgy??......I just got back from an Orgy
    GREAT POST GG....

You can also go to cycle gear and try stuff on then order it frm PureAcceleration for less and with better service.

I dunno, the cats at CycleGear seemed pretty friendly

CELL PHONE DRIVERS - running a universal competition to spend the minimum fraction of their questionable total brainpower actually operating their vehicle.

MYSPACE PAGE

Good post. It don't matter where you get it. Just get it and be safe.
    "I have Indian in me. I have just enough white blood for you to question my honesty!"
    Quote Originally Posted by BusaBiotch View Post
    A female and a male is the best combination. The next best combinations is two males and a female. It is usually two females that cause the most drama.
    Quote Originally Posted by ctate View Post
    We Know, You have bigger

Frank and Beans!!!!

LOL

Ever been to an orgy??......I just got back from an Orgy
    Quote Originally Posted by JP Whoregan Financial
    I dunno, the cats at CycleGear seemed pretty friendly
    Didn't say they wasn't just think Frank is more

in a flooded out shack in Dunedin with M.E.
    Amen GG!

My AlpineStars SMX-Plus boots retail over $300+, but I got them less than $100 at Dennis Kirk. Yeah, yeah, I know they're Bozo the Clown or Ronald McDonald colors, so STFU. Sorry guys, I've only seen smaller sizes marked down as low as I got.

thanks Kelly!!
    Quote Originally Posted by xavier31fl
    road trip to oz?...lol
    Quote Originally Posted by CandyCane on 1/14/07
    donna always made a point to ride anything with wheels, so it was called ho'ing
    Yep! That's why I am called the "Bike Ho".

in your closet! now will you leave so i can come out!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1K121
    its like beating a dead horse...call frank at pure acceleration...thats where i get all my gear, electronics, parts, etc. Great deals and worth your time!!!
    YOU HO YOU BEAT ME TOO IT !
    "those who live by the sword, die by those who dont"

Quote Originally Posted by RKN-HVC
    YOU HO YOU BEAT ME TOO IT !

two words

PIMP !!!!!!!!!!!!
    " ... he's wondering where you put the walker .... "

Great post GG!

I think you copy-n-pasted it from your post on TR? It didn't copy over the links.

+1 on perforated an 2-piece suit. I ride in all weathers with a 2-piece perforated leather suit. It gets hot when standing/sitting around but is just fine while moving. Being able to take the jacket off is a MUST for street riders, only need a 1-piece if you are going to be doing lots of track days, IMO.

Also, it is *very* important that your gear fits you correctly. Not just the helmet, but your pants/jacket/gloves/boots as well. Too loose, and the protection won't be where it's supposed to be in the event of a crash. Too tight, and you won't wear it 'cause it's not comfortable.

Dress for the crash, not the ride.

As the old saying goes, "Get the best that you can afford".

I thought Florida was bad for t-shirts and shorts, Michigan is even worse! And people look at me like I'm the idiot cause I always rock my gear.

Don't forget about Kevin at Cahill's either for your gear. I picked up my Sidi Vertigo Corsa's from him for a great price and he shipped em to me up here in the great north.

Funny story too and a tip. If you have a girlfriend/wife who isn't into riding, don't let them explain to family or friends about your leathers or your need for them. It goes from "Honey, I need a new set of leathers for the track" to them telling friends and family "He wants a leather suit" like I'm Bishop Magic Don Juan or something. No mention of riding goes along with that, just that I wanted a leather suit. Nothing strikes fear into future in-laws like the phrase "He wants a leather suit". I think I would pay to see their faces again.

I agree with what was said. I am still working on the pants, and could use over the ankle boots, but i do ride in my timberlands. wich are very tuff
    TheB( . Y . )BS Of TSB

Quote Originally Posted by brn14me
    The best N Runs I've been on have been lead by bigguy.

Good post. Thanks for the info.

I think gear is great...cept one problem. I have a really hard time finding any thing that fits me. I am 6'5" 310lbs and have a size 15 foot...most sport bike gear is way to small for me. I managed to find a jacket but that is it. Any one know of some thing that might work?

way ahead of ya, im just shy o 7' and about the same weight. my boot size is 15 and nikes come in at a 19. for boots your best bet is something like timberlands or redwings. pants is whee i am having a hard time. i think the joerocket steal jeans come in big sizes and so do dragin jeans. if you want a suit best bet is custom.
    TheB( . Y . )BS Of TSB

Quote Originally Posted by brn14me
    The best N Runs I've been on have been lead by bigguy.

Quote Originally Posted by bigguy02
    i think the joerocket steal jeans come in big sizes and so do dragin jeans. if you want a suit best bet is custom.

I will look up the jeans. The suit...sounds a bit expensive to do a custom thing.

I don't feel comfortable riding without my gear...

Quote Originally Posted by BusaKiller
    I will look up the jeans. The suit...sounds a bit expensive to do a custom thing.
    http://www.syedleathers.com/