PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for first dirtbike for a 12 year old?

Rookie
05-02-2007, 06:15 AM
Not real knowledgable on this so figured this would be a good place to start. A lady I work with has a 12 year old son who spends a lot of time with a family that lives on their street. Long story short, the family just got 5 dirtbikes and now he feels a little left out.

She is interested in buying him a dirtbike but she nor her husband know the first thing about them. The family that bought them isn't a real good resource either. Her son is 12 years old and about 120lbs, with 0 dirtbike riding experience. She is wanting to buy something used and in the $1000 and under range.

Her son found an ad for a Yamaha YZ80 with less than 20 hours of ride time for $950, but doesn't know if that is a good bike or a good deal?
Any feedback?

Thanks,

Gibby
05-02-2007, 06:24 AM
what year is it? what condition? is it semi auto or manual clutch? is it electric start? these things are what ya need to know. Size wise an 80-100 is good for a 12yo.

SideShow
05-02-2007, 07:00 AM
I bought my 11 year old a 125cc and he had 0 riding experience.I think it is the perfect size I got him.He rides like a champ already :)

Girley
05-02-2007, 07:11 AM
My daughter is 10 and has a YZ80

moke
05-02-2007, 08:17 AM
Yes First Get Him Somthing Centered Around His Height. Then Figure Out If Hes Going To Want One That Shifts. Most Likely He Will.

Remember That Where And What He Rides It In Is Key As Well. For Example Smaller 4stroke Bikes Wont Fair To Well In Sand,(50cc-70cc-80cc-10cc) Although There Not Too Bad In The Dirt. If Hes Around 12yrs Old And Average Height Id Look At These Models Drz125,ttr125,if You Want Fourstrokes These Are Moderate Power But Still Do About 40-45mph.
If You Want 2strokes Look At The Kx100, Rm85(l),yz85 , Or Something Thats Got Just As Much Power But Its A 4strk Is The New Crf150 & Crf150expert.

Feel Free To Call Me At The Shop For Questions No Matter If Your Going To Buy From Me Or Not! Also Look In The Trader For Something New But Slightly Used. Those Are Always The Best Deals.

Gibby
05-02-2007, 01:37 PM
I bought my 11 year old a 125cc and he had 0 riding experience.I think it is the perfect size I got him.He rides like a champ already :)

but yours is a mini moto...non standard

Lenny J
05-02-2007, 05:41 PM
IMO if they don't have much or any experience, don't suggest any two strokes. The require work to keep them going and if they aren't up to doing the work, or paying out to have it done, it will become frustrating for everyone.

Being that I'm a Honda guy, get a Honda. :D
Really, you can beat the crap out of a Honda and it still goes. It'll require the least amount of maint in the long run.

XR100's are good bikes and you should be able to find em on the cheap. Any of the newer four strokes are probably going to be out of that price range. At least this way, he can start off on a bike thats easy to learn, easy to maintain, and if he doesn't like it, or does and decides to move up, is easy to sell.

VaderR1
05-03-2007, 07:08 PM
Take him around to a few dealers let him sit on a few and get a feel for what fits his size. My son is 7 and he got his first bike a few weeks ago. A KAwwie KLX 110. Good Luck. IF you look into 125's the 2 stroke racebikes (KX,YZ,RM CR's) are goona be a little much for him at 12 with 0 Experience. Look for a Big wheel 85 or CFR/XR 100 IMHO:occasion1

moke
05-09-2007, 11:19 PM
If you want suzuki or yamaha come and bring your son to size him up. I'll show you all the advise you'll need to make a responsiable decesion!

sky in lakeland!!!ask for me.

CBRFRENZY
05-16-2007, 08:50 PM
Yes 80cc is good for his size and age or even a 125cc four stroke. Four stroke is probably a better bike for a beginner because they tend to ride low RPMs which will foul plugs, and of course always go with HONDA.

CBRFRENZY
05-16-2007, 08:57 PM
Hey ROOK, I bet half these people don't who that super hero is in your avatar. Brings back memories of the real cartoon days.:occasion1

Venture
05-16-2007, 09:37 PM
Hey ROOK, I bet half these people don't who that super hero is in your avatar. Brings back memories of the real cartoon days.:occasion1

I know who the super hero is in his avatar but that is showing my age...:D

SideShow
05-16-2007, 09:49 PM
I know who the super hero is in his avatar but that is showing my age...:D

wow I guess I'm old too lol

vrod
05-17-2007, 04:52 PM
Theres no need to fear! --- is here!

boobs_mcgee
05-17-2007, 05:06 PM
OK i know im not "old"....and i know who it is! i used to watch that show all the time!!....come on if you dont know Underdog than youre just not cool!

vrod
05-17-2007, 05:11 PM
Does that mean I'm cool or just old? Don't answer that..

As far as the bike question goes, I'd look at that YZ80 if it's as good as it sounds or another newer 85cc bike. He can learn on the 85 and still use it for another year or two. The Honda four strokes are okay for putting around the yard if thats what you want it for.

BuellBabe
05-21-2007, 03:05 PM
Well, I have four kids and they all have been through a wide range of bikes. We have kawis, yammis, hondas and susies. From auto 50's and 80's to four stroke 125's to a couple of 750's. My youngest who is now 12 started out on a little 50cc Tomos auto at 5 yrs old and now is up to a 125 and rides it like he stole it. I agree with taking the kid in to see what he feels comfy on. Buy plenty of extra plugs and clutch levers (if applicable).Be sure to remind ur friend of the "Other" needs of off-road riding. Helmet, goggles, pants, boots, shirt, chest protector, gloves. All gear, all the time or my ruggies won't be ridin'. :) But that's just MHO...

rabidsquirrel
06-04-2007, 12:09 PM
I'm not sure where the nearest MSF facility or if the Dirt Bike School is offered somewhere around here... I say this b/c the first bit of advice I give parents/riders is, "Take the MSF Dirtbike School". I used to be an instructor. It is a great course and dirt cheap. At most MSF training facilities, all the equipment is provided. The instructor will assess the rider's height and put the rider on the 'right size' bike.

Getting bike that 'fits' a rider is critical to his or her safety and enjoyment of the sport.

Generally, the bike seat should come up to the rider's waist when the rider and bike are standing fully upright next to one another. The rider will have to lean the bike into himself/herself in order to mount the bike. Once mounted, the rider's toes (I.e. balls of the feet or toes) should touch the ground. The rider should have to lean the bike slightly in order to press one foot flat against the ground...

This means that it is all about suspension/seat height and not engine displacement!

Before investing in a bike and gear, I would suggest that he take the class and see how he likes it. Even if he gets a bike beforehand, he should take the class. It'll make him a better/safer rider...

The Dirtbike School is designed to accomodate all ages and varieties of rider. Even you adults experienced at 'riding dirty' will learn some useful info and techniques!

Here's a link to the FL section of the MSF website: http://nm.msf-usa.org/msf/ridercourses.aspx?state=FL

stevewfl
06-04-2007, 01:02 PM
helpful thread, I've been thinking about purchasing my nephew a dirt bike. the little dude went nuts over the little RR bike when he visited here.