PDA

View Full Version : helmets

BobTheBiker
04-23-2007, 04:01 PM
since I'm going to be buying another bike soon, I want to replace my old helmet with something that cancels out more of the wind noise.

anyone got some recommendations? I was looking at an Icon Mainframe, or I'm thinking HJC CL14, if I can find one that fits me well. being a small headed guy isnt always to my advantage.

pochop7
04-23-2007, 04:02 PM
personally the hjc cl14 feels very uncomfortable on me..i have the icon hooligan it fits great but the ventialtion isnt the best....who knows maybe it will get better as my pads wear a little

PoppaNoDoz
04-23-2007, 04:20 PM
Scorpion isn't bad either for "bang for the buck" but I ride with earplugs

The_Jarhead
04-23-2007, 04:26 PM
for me it depends on what I'm doing.

I'm riding long distances (2 hours or more straight) I want light, same with the track.
If I'm riding socialy I'm not on the bike for more than an hour so it don't bother me. I go for something I like the looks of.

dirt and stuff. it's going to get facked up anyway so why drop big $$ on it. As long as it has the passed the same safety test as the other.

ninjastunter
04-23-2007, 04:30 PM
personally the hjc cl14 feels very uncomfortable on me..i have the icon hooligan it fits great but the ventialtion isnt the best....who knows maybe it will get better as my pads wear a little
you got that dust/chin cover thing.i get dust n shint up mine sometime,but a good helmet otherwise=scorpion exo,thay even got a lens that shades out for day and night=changes

pochop7
04-23-2007, 04:34 PM
yea i got that cover, i like it when it's cold because the wind dosen't go up there but on hot days the air dosen't want to flow through there either..I usually ride with my visor cracked open a lil bit

BMBSHL
04-23-2007, 04:51 PM
My experience with Icon helmets is that they are not durable, i.e. paint chips, parts fall off, etc. (just my experience, not speaking to others experiences). Scorpion, Arai, Shoei seem to be the better of the brands IMO. I'm with Jarhead, it depends on the type of riding. I like my Shoei X-11 because I do long rides and track days and I need a light weight helmet. HJC would be fine for the around town jaunts.

Dark Frost17
04-23-2007, 05:17 PM
what about shark helmets?

pochop7
04-23-2007, 05:21 PM
I hear shark helmets are good

RicanRacerR6
04-23-2007, 05:52 PM
i have a shark rsi acid.. good helmet... but it does have lots of wind noise..

BobTheBiker
04-23-2007, 07:00 PM
well, I'm open to any suggestions, as long as its not an Arai that costs $700 or so. if I can score a helmet that fits good and feels comfortable for around $300 or so, I'll be happy.

Murphy_DX
04-23-2007, 07:38 PM
I hear shark helmets are good
heard good reviews on these

Prettyboy
04-23-2007, 07:44 PM
Scorpion....Arai....Shoei

Kafer
04-23-2007, 09:05 PM
I wear a Shoei RF-1000 and at "Highway Speeds" it can be a bit noisey so I have gotten used to riding with earplugs. It sucks when the people you are riding with want to talk to you at a light but other then that the earplugs work great for me. :)

HELLBENT
04-23-2007, 09:11 PM
Scorpion, Arai, suomy seem to be the better of the brands IMO.shark too , but i got to say i have love for scorpion exo700 , best lid for the buck

Spike
04-23-2007, 09:13 PM
I've got a small head too and I ride with a scorpion. Its got an awsome fit. For the money, comfort, and durability; I won't ride with anything eles. I've got an EXO 400 now and am about to order the latest EXO 1000. I've had this one for 2 years and I really want a newer helmet.

BobTheBiker
04-23-2007, 09:43 PM
thanks Spike, thats the kind of stuff I was looking for. the EXO 400 looks pretty good to me, and its reasonably priced too.

Ta636
04-24-2007, 02:19 PM
AGV was a huge inprovement over my AC11. It bought it 240 shipped.

Its the AGV stealth by th way.

ninjastunter
04-24-2007, 02:29 PM
Scorpion, Arai, suomy seem to be the better of the brands IMO.shark too , but i got to say i have love for scorpion exo700 , best lid for the buck
:occasion1

Fulltiltgixxer
04-24-2007, 02:48 PM
I would go with the Arai or Suomy. They are the lightest with the least amount of wind noise. If you shop around you can find one for around $300.00 but you have to look. I know they sell the left over Arai's from past years for about that. You may have to settle for a solid color but it's a better helmet. You won't find them online though b/c Arai forbids vendors from posting pricing online. Check the local bike shops. If they have a deal on one that is a size too big or too small, you can buy different pading to adjust the size.

The_Jarhead
04-24-2007, 02:54 PM
I would go with the Arai or Suomy. They are the lightest with the least amount of wind noise. If you shop around you can find one for around $300.00 but you have to look. I know they sell the left over Arai's from past years for about that. You may have to settle for a solid color but it's a better helmet. You won't find them online though b/c Arai forbids vendors from posting pricing online. Check the local bike shops. If they have a deal on one that is a size too big or too small, you can buy different pading to adjust the size.
Suomy is has more wind noise then any other helmet I've ever had. That said it is the most comfortable and lightest. I don't ANYONE who would sell a "new" Suomy for $300. Dealer cost is more then that (I know this for a fact).

As for changing the padding to adjust size IMO that's not a good idea. The paddeding is there for a reason going with less padding to adjust the size is going to give you less impact absorbtion between your skull and the hard shell of the helmet.

BUSAFAN
04-24-2007, 03:00 PM
since I'm going to be buying another bike soon, I want to replace my old helmet with something that cancels out more of the wind noise.

anyone got some recommendations? I was looking at an Icon Mainframe, or I'm thinking HJC CL14, if I can find one that fits me well. being a small headed guy isnt always to my advantage.
i have an main frame, i like it, also have an shoei but like my icon betta!:biker:

Fulltiltgixxer
04-24-2007, 03:58 PM
Suomy is has more wind noise then any other helmet I've ever had. That said it is the most comfortable and lightest. I don't ANYONE who would sell a "new" Suomy for $300. Dealer cost is more then that (I know this for a fact).

As for changing the padding to adjust size IMO that's not a good idea. The paddeding is there for a reason going with less padding to adjust the size is going to give you less impact absorbtion between your skull and the hard shell of the helmet.

On the Suomy I have worn two of them with little wind noise. It was shortly after they first came out. Here is one for $300. http://www.helmetcity.com/page/HC/PROD/suomy/venturablue
http://www.helmetcity.com/page/HC/PROD/suomy/venturagoldbostrom
I bought an Arai on clearance at Barney's for just over that. Took some hagling but got it for almost right at $325.00. The med and large Arai's are the same shell. The only difference is the padding. You can buy the replacement padding directly from any Arai dealer. Ask the boys at Barney's. My friend bought a Med. and change the padding to make it a large.

Fulltiltgixxer
04-24-2007, 04:08 PM
Wow...I actually found pricing on an Arai too. This one is like $376 but there are good deals on better brand helmets out there.

http://www.helmetcity.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=vectoralumgrey&Category_Code=araivectorsolids

The_Jarhead
04-24-2007, 04:31 PM
On the Suomy I have worn two of them with little wind noise. It was shortly after they first came out. Here is one for $300. http://www.helmetcity.com/page/HC/PROD/suomy/venturablue
http://www.helmetcity.com/page/HC/PROD/suomy/venturagoldbostrom
I bought an Arai on clearance at Barney's for just over that. Took some hagling but got it for almost right at $325.00. The med and large Arai's are the same shell. The only difference is the padding. You can buy the replacement padding directly from any Arai dealer. Ask the boys at Barney's. My friend bought a Med. and change the padding to make it a large.
Let me clerify When I think of Suomy I usualy thin of the Spec-1R or the Spec-1R Extreme.

The lower end Suomy I found no lighter then a HJC or KBC.

As for the padding I still wouldn't changing to less padding just to make a helmet fit better. But again the just my opinion.

Fulltiltgixxer
04-24-2007, 04:59 PM
I dont' know much about the Suomy's other than the ones I wore were really light. Didn't like the fit as much as the Arai so I don't keep up with the styles. I do know that when i worked in the parts dept. at two different bike shops (5 yrs ago) we often sold stuff under cost if it had been on the shelf too long just to recoup our money. Maybe you can't get a decent Suomy for around $300 but I know you can get an Arai for a little over that. My whole point is shop around for a good helmet at a good price. You can get a good one at a reasonable price. A helmet is not something I would "settle" on.

wolfey971
04-24-2007, 11:02 PM
I own a Suomy Spec-1R and just crashed tested a Shoei X-11.
both helmets are nice, the Shoei is supposedly more aerodynamic but the Suomy is alot less noisy (hands down) I used to hear ear plugs @ the track with the X-11 but now I dont have to with the Spec-1R, my wife has an RF-1000 and loves it

I also own a Scorpion, very nice helmet at an entry level price. the anti-fog screen is extremely nice to have, dont really like the quick release knobs, I broke the first set I had and lost a retaining spring, but emailed customer support and they sent me the 2 entire new releases with the chrome knobs Free of charge (didnt even pay for shipping)

have also ownd a HJC and is was an ok helmet, not the best out there, I would rather go for a Scorpion, Aria, Suomy, or Shoei over HJC, HBC, Icon, Fulmer (or whatever it is)
I have read good things about Shark, but never tried one

if you are looking to stay around 300 or less I would say go for the Scorpion, you wont be disappointed

Dark Frost17
05-12-2007, 08:06 AM
i picked up a Shark RSR2 for about $300.00.....fits better then the shoie's and arai's that i have tried on......

RJ
05-12-2007, 02:36 PM
I love my Suomy, I have had two of them . Yes the wind noise is there but they are light as hell. Once you have a high end helmet you wont go with a cheap one. I do however like some of the KBCs , I dont know anything about them but they have some cool graphics.

BUSAFAN
05-12-2007, 02:42 PM
I HAVE 2 ICON MAINFRAMES, I LOVE THEM:biker:

Evt2718
05-12-2007, 03:06 PM
RF-1000 for me (love that helmet)
the hubby likes the X-11, and neither of us favor the Scorpion, not to comfy, but it WON'T fog up!!!!!

Toddfather
05-12-2007, 05:06 PM
I have 2 Scorpion EXO 700, 1 EXO 400 (for the better half) and Shoei X11. I like both brands. The anti fog visor on the EXO is a huge plus. Both brands have very similar features. I have gone through a few chin air dams on the EXO, they blow out at about 120mph if you pop your head up. For $100-250 the Scorpion is a sweet deal (EXO 1000 is coming soon). But the fit and finish of a Shoei can't be beat.

BobTheBiker
05-25-2007, 02:06 PM
In the end I went with an EXO 400 with the yellow and black paint scheme, and a nice face shield that REALLY makes a huge difference in definition on the road.

mikey69
05-25-2007, 02:21 PM
I actually like HJC, but they are a little on the heavy side. I also like the simpson helmets to but they are a high in price though.

BobTheBiker
05-25-2007, 02:33 PM
true. for a grand total of $221 with tax for the helmet, visor, and a nice pair of Joe Rocket Gauntlet style gloves, I'm not complaining. the lid was like $139 to begin with, so for the price, I got a nice piece of gear.

Gonzo
05-25-2007, 06:15 PM
I've got a scorpion and it seems to cut out quite a bit of the wind noise. I bought it for the low price but it's quite comfortable.

Sytrept
05-25-2007, 07:16 PM
ive got a exo 700... cool grpahics, comfortable... good price. ( thats a scorpion btw )