PDA

View Full Version : Whats the difference

Girley
04-13-2007, 09:19 PM
Okay I just bought a pair of ICON boots for $90. Can anyone tell me the difference between these and just a pair of leather boots that would cost me less.

These are the ones I bought

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f127/Girleyface/Forum%20pix/Superduty2_boots_310x240.jpg

Murphy_DX
04-13-2007, 11:04 PM
icon does a drag test to make sure they are durable enough to withstand falling off the bike at high speeds....

Girley
04-14-2007, 06:55 AM
Thanks! I was looking for more reasons to justify the cost but that will do :)

RICO
04-14-2007, 07:13 AM
Please start checking with Big Red at Cahills. Your a TSB member and you talk to him and get a 20% discount. I got mine for $72.

moke
04-14-2007, 10:27 AM
Purpose Built! Thats The Difference.

Girley
04-14-2007, 02:36 PM
Ugh I keep forgetting about Cahills

HELLBENT
04-14-2007, 04:41 PM
DONT FORGET AOBUT cahills! GRRRRRRR! lol

moke
04-14-2007, 10:14 PM
Although I dont perfer icon! Alpinestar boots have been in the game a long time and know what real world protection is about. They have a boot w/in a boot system that offers alot of protection. The originator was the daytona boot. I have a pair that I never leave home w/out! When Im riding.Check em out smx I think there called? whad up lorin!

HELLBENT
04-14-2007, 11:54 PM
what up moke , hay there is a nice set of race type boots i wear, from nitro, 2 type under 100 buck call big red , i like em

SideShow
04-15-2007, 12:04 AM
I have those icon boots myself.They are comfy and seem durable. I am a lil worried to go down in them though.I had a pair like them in my last wreck.I got off the road with no boots and a shattered ankle

ctate
04-15-2007, 12:34 AM
what up moke , hay there is a nice set of race type boots i wear, from nitro, 2 type under 100 buck call big red , i like em

Nitros are ok. they crash well. I know this because I crashed in mine. but there NOT worth the money. IMO.

If your like I am. You'll use the boots on the street as well as the track. and eventually they will wear though on the bottoms. I've had both sets of Nitros. the ones you have and another set that had a soft rubber bottom. But the materials they use are cheap and don't last.

I replaced my nitro boots with a pair of AStar SMX. Love them. Fit is excellent and they can be worn all day comfortable.

But I just picked up a pair of sidi Doha boots. there an over the ankle street boot. they are really nice to wear on the bike. they have a steal shank that wraps around the foot for CRUSH protection and they aren't as big and bulky as the Icon boots are.

But to answer Girley's question. the Price is the differance. the boots you bought are just a tough and durable as a set of Timberlands. You paid for what is basically a set of work boots. with a fancy design. Not thats a bad thing. Normally Icon makes a decent product that does work and will protect. but you could have gotten a set of Cat work boots from walmart for like $50 that would have worked just as well as the Icon boots you got. On a side note, I know a few people that wore the same boots you got. they didn't like them because there big and hard to get a feel for the shifter. In any event, Good buy Girley. those boots are better than a set of sneakers thats for sure...

moke
04-15-2007, 07:28 AM
That new Puma boot looks pretty nice havent seen a pair up close yet though. Id like to check those out. For me I never put a price on protection, money is never an object when Im buying gear! Specially my race leathers!

BusaKiller
04-15-2007, 07:34 AM
Is there a boot that goes up to size 15 extra wide? Or are the big foot people out of luck?

Girley
04-15-2007, 09:15 AM
I agree that I wouldn't put a price on protection I just want what works. My problem with finding boots is I have a really small foot. I wear a kids size 4. I tried on so many boots and just got so frustrated that I just bought what fit. My issue is they keep sliding on my heel and they are really heavy. What about the boots they sell at the Army/Navy store?

Girley
04-15-2007, 09:15 AM
My problem with finding boots is I have a really small foot. I wear a kids size 4I tried on so many boots and just got so frustrated that I just bought what fit. My issue is they keep sliding on my heel and they are really heavy. What about the boots they sell at the Army/Navy store?

Girley
04-15-2007, 09:17 AM
My problem with finding boots is I have a really small foot. I wear a kids size 4 I tried on so many boots and just got so frustrated that I just bought what fit. My issue is they keep sliding on my heel and they are really heavy. What about the boots they sell at the Army/Navy store?

RicanRacerR6
04-15-2007, 11:49 AM
i wear my work boots that i bought at the aafes @ macdill.. they are an awesome boot for work.. and they are 8inch high too... but i am sure they have some low tops too...

PoppaNoDoz
04-15-2007, 12:39 PM
Generally I wear "motorcyclist" boots that are actual "boots" - that is they come over the ankle and up to the shin. I need to get some new gauntlet gloves as well, I don't have any 'summer gauntlets'.

The thing is with the boots that stop at the ankle (are those really boots?) or the gloves that stop at the wrist - in the case of an accident that involves sliding the jacket / pants are going to roll up and the exposed skin is going to come off.

HELLBENT
04-15-2007, 01:23 PM
my frist nitro, last a pretty good time 4 years , race type boot i onley wear them wen rideing , no doubt there is better for the money but im a broke ass .AStar are relly sweet

Girley
04-15-2007, 01:45 PM
I returned the Icon boots to Cyclegear and bought an awesome pair at the surplus store. The guy there was very helpful as I tore through all his boots. His sizes go down to a 4 lucky me! These are so comfortable and are higher than the Icon boot/shoes whatever you want to call them. Great selection and styles like 8 different kind for women. He also has a good selection of paintball stuff. Military stuff is so cool, okay that was corny but I had fun in there.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f127/Girleyface/Forum%20pix/DSC03141.jpg

ctate
04-15-2007, 01:56 PM
I returned the Icon boots to Cyclegear and bought an awesome pair at the surplus store. The guy there was very helpful as I tore through all his boots. His sizes go down to a 4 lucky me! These are so comfortable and are higher than the Icon boot/shoes whatever you want to call them. Great selection and styles like 8 different kind for women. He also has a good selection of paintball stuff. Military stuff is so cool, okay that was corny but I had fun in there.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f127/Girleyface/Forum%20pix/DSC03141.jpg

Nice...

How much and what store?

PoppaNoDoz
04-15-2007, 02:40 PM
I admit it, I have a pair of "Jump Boots" that I bought at a surplus store that I wear riding from time to time too. They are great on hot days.

Girley
04-15-2007, 02:49 PM
Army Navy Surplus on Bearss and Skipper. I paid $85