PDA

View Full Version : Custom carbon fiber producer?

HooliganS4RS
12-23-2006, 01:12 PM
Does anyone know of a local (or kinda close) manufacturer of custom carbon fiber parts/accessories/pieces? I have tons of stock carbon fiber on the Duc already, but the tail section needs an upgrade. Ducati is still installing the most hideous plastic tail mudgaurd and signals.

I immeadiately got rid of the signals with an upgraded all inclusive tailight and smaller license plate bracket. But, the plastic peice (with signal wholes now) is still there. Under that plastic is part of the tube frame...it sticks out 6-7 inches past the tail like and is red light the rest of the frame (Monster-heads call it the "beer can rack".)

Most Monster owners cut the rack right off the bike, but many don't want to b/c of possible loss of the value of the bike. This section of the frame really is of no importance and is not structual.

Should I just cut the damn thing off with a $125 kit from Competition Werkes? Or try to get a peice made? :confused:

I have looked on so many websites for the perfect part...with no luck. Frustrating!

ANY SUGGESTIONS WELCOME! Thanks!

:nopity: :nopity:

Lenny J
12-23-2006, 02:20 PM
Just an FYI; anything done in carbon fiber is going to be priced quite a bit higher than usual for a while if it is available at all.

There is actually a International Carbon Fiber Tow shortage, which is what is used to make the fabric, and the sources I used to go through are only selling to people who purchased from them before and are limiting quantities. Some as little as 10yds a month which is nothing.

I was trying to find some to start making a rear hugger for my RC51 but the price and availability just doesn't make it feasible.

Good luck in your search.

liquid_iq
12-23-2006, 05:01 PM
airbus i think put in that large order - 25% of the total carbon fiber market for something like 2 years. supplies will be tight and pricey.

FrankC
12-24-2006, 07:55 AM
Guido...down in South Fla. Not sure if he does custom stuff.....might be worth a call. Really nice guy. Listen carefully....his english bounces around a bit. lol

http://www.shift-tech.com/

There's another guy around Ocala or somewhere around there that makes cf stuff too! I'd have to look for his site.

Chad Wolfe
12-24-2006, 09:50 PM
Call James White at White Wash Racing (727-415-8650). He makes lots of carbon stuff and is in Clearwater. He can be difficult to get on the phone, but it's worth the trouble. He also has a website, wwrdesigns.com. The site is under some construction at the moment and may be difficult to navigate, but it does show a lot of killer carbon and paintwork that he's done.

Lenny J
12-25-2006, 07:27 AM
airbus i think put in that large order - 25% of the total carbon fiber market for something like 2 years. supplies will be tight and pricey.

Yeah, between them, the government, and well, the government...hehe....they pretty much have it all locked up.

HooliganS4RS
12-25-2006, 08:06 AM
Thanks! I greatly appreciate the feedback. I am def not going to chop the frame...

I checked out Shift Tech...thier tail is real nice, but still requires a short chop of the tail.

Chad, thanks...will give this guy a call. I will also be giving you a ring soon to set up a time see you to get my bike adjusted...have your number from a previous thread...thanks.

moke
12-26-2006, 09:24 AM
Qbcarbon.co.uk Has Alot Of Stuff! Not real close though.