PDA

View Full Version : Race Leathers

Nova
09-25-2006, 09:16 PM
Not going to make this track showing at Jennings, because I haven't found myself a full set of leathers yet. Which leads me to my questions. What should I get? I found the Frank Thomas Strike 2 Titanium gear that i like but have no idea if it is any good. Also can I get it a two piece for versatility and still have enough protection for track day, or do I have to have the one piec

Thanks!

MianoSM
09-25-2006, 09:20 PM
...I'm renting....

You didn't want to rent?

2 Pieces are allowed, but must zip all the way.

griffinzx10
09-25-2006, 09:22 PM
Not going to make this track showing at Jennings, because I haven't found myself a full set of leathers yet. Which leads me to my questions. What should I get? I found the Frank Thomas Strike 2 Titanium gear that i like but have no idea if it is any good. Also can I get it a two piece for versatility and still have enough protection for track day, or do I have to have the one piec

Thanks!

I got a 2 piece for the versatility... It has to have a 360 degree zipper..
i got the Joe Rocket Moto GP jacket and ballistic pants I think.

Both are preforated and keep you cool while riding...

You can call our site sponsor Pure Acceleration.. That is where I got my stuff from

moke
09-25-2006, 09:28 PM
i guess you never really know how good they are untill you go down. but i have always spent top dollar on protection, and have never had any problems.(and iv gone down quite a bit!)racing since 1989 and have always worn dianese full. iv been looking at alpinestar for a new suite but mainly cuz i hate the dark colors dianese has to offer. with the hot florida sun? it s a bit much! always wear a back protector on the track and no matter what brand get hard body armour for elbows knees etc...most come with that in the suite. and just remember $10.00 dollar helmet, a ten dollar,... well you get the idea!!!!
2piece ok for track must zip together "one piece easier to move around on the bike imo!

griff your ball-listic!!

wolfey971
09-25-2006, 10:11 PM
you get what you pay for, you buy a $200 suit you get a $200 suit
buy a $1000 suit get a $1000 suit

this sport is all about protection and sometimes not even the best will protect ya, but I would buy what you can afford, or save up a lil while longer

I opt to get a 1 pc suit for track only, but if you plan on wearing it track/street then maybe a 2pc would be better

check out syedleathers.com (http://www.syedleathers.com/) - one of the best taylored suit made to fit you, not just an average size

Wicked1
09-25-2006, 11:37 PM
I'm afraid of the two-piece suits...what if it rips at the zipper?

Nova
09-26-2006, 06:19 AM
...I'm renting....

You didn't want to rent?

2 Pieces are allowed, but must zip all the way.

I just found out I could rent last a couple days ago, and only joined TSB a couple days before that. The bike is also real new and I want to give it a good break in before pushing it on the track. The next track day we get together I will be the first to sign up, but for the 12th I am just gonna be pissing and moaning all day that I am not there.

SM171
09-26-2006, 06:41 AM
Buellboy went down wearing a pair of Frank Thomas leathers. They did not hold up so well.

I had a 100 mph getoff wearing a 2-piece alpinestars. They worked great and I still wear them today. My next set will be a 1-piece, but for the occasional track day rider I see nothing wrong with a quality 2-piece suit. But like others have said, you defiantly get what you pay for.

The_Jarhead
09-26-2006, 09:20 AM
The Frank Thomas Strike 2 was recalled.
http://www.tampasportbikes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5027&highlight=frank+thomas
This is the same suit Buellboy went down in. The leather held fine but the seams busted.

I have the Frank Thomas Strike 1 you can tell by looking at it, it is put together better. Think seams, double stitched, and thread look thinker too.

skip
09-26-2006, 09:55 AM
I have a two-piece right now, but I think I will get a one piece once I start going to the track once a month...