PDA

View Full Version : Helmet Opinion....

Prettyboy
04-23-2006, 06:08 AM
Watching this on Egay.....Seeing that it's been dropped, but knowing alot of the "Hype" about it being wasted afterwards is bullchit, I'm wondering if this is something I should stay away from, or if it would be safe..........Basically a helmet is a fiberglass shell filled with styrofoam, I'm thinking unless the integrity is compremised why sweat it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=8057738402&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

BMBSHL
04-23-2006, 09:19 AM
PB - It fell of a dining room table... if it hit tile, which is what it sounds like since there is marks from the fall, the helmet is toast. It's only good for one impact. Also, check the SHOEI website but the RF1000 is considerably heavier than the Arai you are used to wearing.

griffinzx10
04-23-2006, 12:15 PM
I would stay away from it.... PB you know the importance of a helmet... I would say don't skimp....
Helmets I have owned that I like...
KBC Very good and comfy for price
Shoei LOVE IT
HJC Ok decent

buckwild750
04-23-2006, 12:24 PM
I would not buy it. Just not worth the risk.

PUREACCELERATION
04-26-2006, 08:48 AM
Prettyboy,

I can get you into a real nice Brand New KBC for right around the same price. Stop by the shop and check it out. Or if you would perfer another brand helmet we deal with all the companies.

ShortyR6
04-26-2006, 08:53 AM
you can find arai helmets on ebay for just a few hundred and they are new.

PUREACCELERATION
04-26-2006, 09:03 AM
Arai helmets are a nice helmet but I think they over rated in my opinion. They have done a great job selling there name and getting pro riders to wear there helmets that is why everyone things there the best. I have owned Arai, Shoei, KBC, HJC and now a Suomy. I wouldn't ever ride with another helmet but the Suomy Spec-1R Extreme. It is such an awesome helmet plus Suomy by far as the coolest graphics out there. The Suomy Spec-1R Extreme is also the lightest helmet out there.

ShortyR6
04-26-2006, 09:06 AM
Arai helmets are a nice helmet but I think they over rated in my opinion. They have done a great job selling there name and getting pro riders to wear there helmets that is why everyone things there the best. I have owned Arai, Shoei, KBC, HJC and now a Suomy. I wouldn't ever ride with another helmet but the Suomy Spec-1R Extreme. It is such an awesome helmet plus Suomy by far as the coolest graphics out there. The Suomy Spec-1R Extreme is also the lightest helmet out there.

you can also send an arai back to them if it was in a wreck and they will replace it for you, no charge. we are getting ready to send one back, we will let you know how it goes.

CrazyRED
04-26-2006, 09:10 AM

Good luck with customer service if you ever need it.

PUREACCELERATION
04-26-2006, 09:17 AM
As far as buying an Arai helmet on Ebay. I was told by the Arai rep that if you buy a Arai helmet on Ebay and it ever has a warranty issue in the 5 year warranty time period that your warranty is void. Arai helmets have to be fit and you can't fit a helmet over Ebay. So that would really suck to go pay all that money for a nice helmet to later find out when you have a warranty problem they tell you your warranty is void since you bought it off Ebay. Believe it or not a lot of manufactuers are putting in this policy to there warranty because people are just whoring out there products on Ebay and they are very upset about it. So make sure you read that fine print when you buy that next new part on Ebay, because buying from a company on Ebay is not considered to be buying the product from an authorized dealer.

PUREACCELERATION
04-26-2006, 09:18 AM
This is from Arai warranty policy. This also answers the myth that they will replace your helmet from a crash. READ BELOW

WARRANTY
All Arai helmets are warranted against defects in materials and workmanship, and are serviceable only for the properly fitted* first user for 5 years from date of first use, but no more than 7 years from date of manufacture. It should be replaced within 5 years of first use.

*As neither Arai or the consumer can be assured that helmets sold by mail order, phone or internet are properly fitted and delivered in original, as new condition, Arai cannot and does not extend its warranty to helmets purchased through these channels.

Examples of problems not covered by this warranty include, but are not limited to:

* Impact damage from a crash, in which the helmet was either cosmetically or structurally damaged, rendering the helmet unusable for future use. Such damage is expected in an impact.
* Paint chipping or plastic damage/cracking due to impacts from road debris or impact with the ground or solid object while being worn, carried or transported.
* Cosmetic finish or interior lining damage or discoloration as a result of exposure and/or contact with chemical substances.
* Damage or wear of the interior liner as the result of normal use and/or abuse.
* Damage as the result of modification and/or installation of non Arai accessories or parts.
* Improper fit is not covered under warranty. It is the responsibility of the wearer to obtain a proper fit at the time of purchase and any fit problem must be addressed to the selling retailer within 3 business days of the purchase, but must be returned in "as new" condition with all parts and accessories provided with the helmet.
* Custom paint and any accessories are not covered under warranty. Should a helmet be replaced under warranty, no allowances will be made for any such added expenses.

ShortyR6
04-26-2006, 09:42 AM
As far as buying an Arai helmet on Ebay. I was told by the Arai rep that if you buy a Arai helmet on Ebay and it ever has a warranty issue in the 5 year warranty time period that your warranty is void. Arai helmets have to be fit and you can't fit a helmet over Ebay. So that would really suck to go pay all that money for a nice helmet to later find out when you have a warranty problem they tell you your warranty is void since you bought it off Ebay. Believe it or not a lot of manufactuers are putting in this policy to there warranty because people are just whoring out there products on Ebay and they are very upset about it. So make sure you read that fine print when you buy that next new part on Ebay, because buying from a company on Ebay is not considered to be buying the product from an authorized dealer.

There is no fitting process when you go to a dealer, it is not like they measure your head nor do some sort of cranial questionnaire....you try it on and plop down the money. Same thing on eBay is the same thing you would get in the store.

And who cares about whoring products, their name is out there, and helmets are being sold...they are upset that they just are not making the big profits.

I will let you know how it turns out when we send one back.

~carms~
04-26-2006, 09:48 AM
There is no fitting process when you go to a dealer, it is not like they measure your head nor do some sort of cranial questionnaire....you try it on and plop down the money. Same thing on eBay is the same thing you would get in the store.

And who cares about whoring products, their name is out there, and helmets are being sold...they are upset that they just are not making the big profits.

I will let you know how it turns out when we send one back.
Actaully Arai does have a measuring tape to find what size helmet best fits you.If you dont believe me stop by at Barneys. Its hanging on the wall.. And if you go to an Arai dealer/bike shop you can put one on. The sales associate will be able to determine which size is best for you. Then you will find which size best fits you!

~carms~
04-26-2006, 09:50 AM
nevermind.. someone posted the send back procedure already.

ShortyR6
04-26-2006, 09:57 AM
Actaully Arai does have a measuring tape to find what size helmet best fits you.If you dont believe me stop by at Barneys. Its hanging on the wall.. And if you go to an Arai dealer/bike shop you can put one on. The sales associate will be able to determine which size is best for you. Then you will find which size best fits you!

i have a measuring tape at home, and can measure my head size.

you can also be fitted somewhere and still go on ebay and purchase a hemet the size that you were measured for, at a lot lower price.

~carms~
04-26-2006, 10:18 AM
you can also send an arai back to them if it was in a wreck and they will replace it for you, no charge. we are getting ready to send one back, we will let you know how it goes.
Well if they are toast after dropping it on tile, then im just wasting my time sending back to Arai.. I dont think it would be safe after tumbling and sliding on the Jennings track...:nono:

ShortyR6
04-26-2006, 10:24 AM
Well if they are toast after dropping it on tile, then im just wasting my time sending back to Arai.. I dont think it would be safe after tumbling and sliding on the Jennings track...:nono:

i give your tumble a 9.5, your form was a little off but a good tumble nonetheless.

~carms~
04-26-2006, 10:37 AM
i give your tumble a 9.5, your form was a little off but a good tumble nonetheless.
yeah you should know about crashing and good form!

ShortyR6
04-26-2006, 10:38 AM
yeah you should know about crashing and good form!

you have to learn the bikes limits somehow, or learn that dunlop tires just suck ass. :soapbox:

~carms~
04-26-2006, 10:41 AM
you have to learn the bikes limits somehow, or learn that dunlop tires just suck ass. :soapbox:
yeah so are the stock ones you said would be fine to ride with:soapbox:

ShortyR6
04-26-2006, 10:44 AM
yeah so are the stock ones you said would be fine to ride with:soapbox:

those tires were on the same bike that was not supposed to be on the track. :chair:

time for some pilot powers.... great street tire, and can do double duty as a track tire.

The_Jarhead
04-26-2006, 10:59 AM
Sure blame it on the tire............

ShortyR6
04-26-2006, 11:10 AM
Sure blame it on the tire............

[ducks and hides]Shorty[/ducks and hides]

I have to hand it to her, she was running 218s and dragging knees all over the track, but she could have used a take off or better tire to say the least.

mosh69
04-26-2006, 11:21 AM
I love suomy for some reason.
That'll def be my next helmet!

PUREACCELERATION
04-26-2006, 11:38 AM
Suomy's are awesome. A better helmet for less money than the competition can't beat that!

The_Jarhead
04-26-2006, 12:03 PM
[ducks and hides]Shorty[/ducks and hides]

I have to hand it to her, she was running 218s and dragging knees all over the track, but she could have used a take off or better tire to say the least.
I'm just playing......
I saw the pics she was getting pretty low in corners. I was impressed.

ShortyR6
04-26-2006, 12:12 PM
I'm just playing......
I saw the pics she was getting pretty low in corners. I was impressed.

me too.

i did not know she was out there tearing it up like she was, if i did, i would have put her on some take offs. when i had seen the pics, i was impressed too.

Prettyboy
04-26-2006, 05:15 PM
Suomy's are awesome. A better helmet for less money than the competition can't beat that!

I just sold 2 suomy's on ebay, matching set. The Large I wore didn't touch the sides of my head and the forehead pad liked to crush my brain.........I may be stepping down a big Name wise, but I just picked up a Vemar.

racerraul
09-06-2006, 09:53 AM
my .02 cents...

The Suomy SPEC-1R Extreme did not fit my head in any size... the internal shape felt like a perfect circle to me... it cuped my ears. Take your hands and cup your ears, now imagine what that will sound like with all the noise a helmet that flows a good a mount of air like the SPEC-1R Extreme does.

It does have a softer shell that absorbs more impact vs a SNELL approved helmet... but all that wont do you any good if the is a chance for the helmet to move & fill any available voids in the fit during a crash... if anything it could be more fatal...

Don't get talked into buying any particular Helmet... make sure it fits right.

moke
09-06-2006, 01:22 PM
Suomys Dont Fit My Head Pushes Suverly On Forehead, Can Bearly Wear Iot For 5mins. Ouch!

The_Jarhead
09-06-2006, 01:36 PM
Suomys Dont Fit My Head Pushes Suverly On Forehead, Can Bearly Wear Iot For 5mins. Ouch!
little trick for that. I had the same problem with mine. Ryan at PA suggested that I take a spoon and form the foam around the forehead. I actuall only had to use my finger.
Of coarse you dont want to compact it completely but it in my case a little went a long way and it is litteraly formed to my head now.

Big E
09-19-2006, 08:38 AM
Anyone have imputs on ICON helmets.

Prettyboy
09-19-2006, 03:25 PM

that was my issue......I'll stick to my budget vemar.

Jahmic726
09-19-2006, 03:41 PM
Different helmet brands tend to be better suited for different head-shapes.

Arai's helmets are too short for me to wear...like my entire damn chin sticks out the bottom, haha.

HJC (which i have now) is too round on the inside. Its a decent fit, but there's room where there shouldnt be any.

I tried on a Shoei X-11 the other day...and it fit like a glove. The RF-1000 fit pretty well too...same with the scorpion helmets.

Best bet is to go to a dealer and try on as many helmets as you can and go from there.

The Arsenal
09-19-2006, 04:02 PM
that was my issue......I'll stick to my budget vemar.

Budget Vemar? Which one did you get?

My Vemar rocks!!! VSR Blue Chrome.
This is the review on it
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/vemar/

Its is one of the lightest helmets made.

My next helmet will definetly be a RSR2 Shark. I have a round head..:D

snook
09-19-2006, 05:17 PM
oh to have a normal sized head!
XXXL lids are hard to find. My HJC fits
but with the same issues that Jah has.

racerraul
09-20-2006, 12:52 AM
Arai's helmets are too short for me to wear...like my entire damn chin sticks out the bottom, haha.

Arai is the only Co to make diff internal shapes...
The Corsair, Astral, Quamtum & new Profile all have diff internal shapes, Just FYI in case you haven't given the other models a try... Great Helmets, but a bit pricey.

Prettyboy
09-20-2006, 01:03 AM
Budget Vemar? Which one did you get?

My Vemar rocks!!! VSR Blue Chrome.
This is the review on it
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/vemar/

Its is one of the lightest helmets made.

My next helmet will definetly be a RSR2 Shark. I have a round head..:D

I wanted the red metalic one like SloDown has...but they were out of my size. I picked up 2...one all siver and a silver/black design with a tad bit of yellow in it.

Tarbaby
09-20-2006, 07:44 AM
.....I may be stepping down a big Name wise, but I just picked up a Vemar.
Vemar has a wider brand recognition in Europe than here.
IMO, the Italians just don't spend as much on marketing.

I just sold 2 suomy's on ebay, matching set. The Large I wore didn't touch the sides of my head and the forehead pad liked to crush my brain.........I may be stepping down a big Name wise, but I just picked up a Vemar.
The Vemar flipface/modular is what I wore when I went down last month. I loved that helmet.

The foam inside the helmet was compressed on the impact side. That is a biggie you want to make sure is NOT compromised IF you're looking at a used helmet. A helmet will do their job once very well; but only once.

moke
09-21-2006, 09:39 PM

i know your not talking about my tires, arrons, mats, bens, erics, bens and half the people in the amas tires are you? must be talking about stock tires right? all this pilot power buwwllsheeiitt! jaded!

moke
09-21-2006, 09:50 PM
heres the deal on the topic, if you drop your helmet on anything! and you still decide to wear it the manufacture isnt going to take a chance of it not protecting you cuz if for some reason you die, you think there going to accept the liability? duuuuuuuuuuuuuuu hell no! so they tell you not to wear it after a crash, drop......what ever. i have crashed and worn them again. but its a fine line and good judgment when putting it back on after a crash. most likely it will do its job the manufature just cant promise that in every case so thats why they tell you to chuck it after a drop, or crash. hell they also tell you never to let anyone wear your helmet cus it wont protect you and everyone does that anyway so whats the worry?