PDA

View Full Version : Turn Signals: Yellow vs Red

HeWhoIs
08-15-2008, 07:24 PM
IMO, a yellow turn signal is much better than a red one. Especially on a bike.

Next time you are out on the street compare the rear lights and turn signals ahead of ya, on cars & bikes alike. What catches your attention the quickest/mostest? A yellow turn signal or a red one?

For me, it's yellow, hands down.

Gingrr
08-15-2008, 07:26 PM
Agreed! Yellow - hands down. Especially on cars.

BobTheBiker
08-15-2008, 07:35 PM
yellow. its just a brighter color than red, simple as that for me.

Noleman
08-15-2008, 07:35 PM
It is illegal to put red on the front. The rears are okay to be red on cars, don't know about bikes.
Also, fronts have to be amber.

Gingrr
08-15-2008, 07:37 PM
yellow. its just a brighter color than red, simple as that for me.

For me, it's the contrast from the red taillights and brake lights, rather than just being brighter.

ajusf16
08-15-2008, 07:56 PM
poll?

Gingrr
08-15-2008, 07:59 PM
poll?

See, now if this was a poll - I could actually vote for something. No wishy washy on this one for me! Unless, of course, the voting options are wishy washy, or something like green, white, or purple - then I can't vote.

vrod
08-15-2008, 08:11 PM
Noleman is correct. Red helps identify the rear of the vehicle and thats one reason you don't have red turn signals on the front of vehicles. If you find otherwise it was changed after being inspected by the feds.

78Sprocket
08-15-2008, 09:37 PM
Yellow for sure.

LeMans
08-15-2008, 10:01 PM
I see the yellow ones better.

Jlea
08-16-2008, 05:29 AM
yellow works great...for those that use them...

ahhh .....don't even get me started on people and turn signals :D

Noleman
08-16-2008, 10:44 AM
There is actually a scientific explination as to why you see yellow better. You see, our planet revolves around a yellow star. Therefore, our eyes are most sensative to the color yellow. Our eyes are least sensative to the opposite color on the spectrum, which is red. If we revoloved around a red star, it would be the opposite. Now, when our rods and cones adjust to low level light, the red will not disturb our night vision. This is good because we stare at red lights a lot while driving at night. The amber lights in the front are supposed to alert us at night that a car is coming not going.

HeWhoIs
08-16-2008, 11:21 AM
I thought blue was on the opposite side of the spectrum from Red?

http://www.sciencebuddies.org/mentoring/project_ideas/HumBeh_img019.gif

Noleman
08-16-2008, 11:56 AM
I thought blue was on the opposite side of the spectrum from Red?

We are talking about the human eye and its response to color.

This would be more appropriate. As you can see, yellow and red are opposite of each other. Geese, where did you go to elementary school? I learned this primary color wheel in fifth grade art class.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:BYR_color_wheel.svg

Further, we are talking about eye sensativity. the eye is not very sensative to blue and violate. But most sensative to green and yellow. AND red and blue are on opposite sides of the sensative spectrum.

Cones are composed of three different photo pigments that enable color perception. Under normal lighting conditions, the eye is most sensitive to a yellowish-green color. When the light levels drop to near total darkness, the response of the eye changes significantly. At this level of light, the rods are most active and the human eye is more sensitive to the light present, and less sensitive to the range of color. Rods are highly sensitive to light but are comprised of a single photo pigment, which accounts for the loss in ability to discriminate color.<---found through research, not my own words. Paraphrased.

stevewfl
08-16-2008, 12:01 PM
lets not discount the power of arm signals-

http://ohioline.osu.edu/aex-fact/images/5966_4.gif

ajusf16
08-16-2008, 12:08 PM

:nono:must keep both hands on the bike at all times

Noleman
08-16-2008, 12:08 PM

Lets not. LOL

HeWhoIs, what do you think?

I think HeWhoIs, is becoming the new Murphy.

HeWhoIs
08-16-2008, 12:11 PM
We are talking about the human eye and its response to color.

This would be more appropriate. As you can see, yellow and red are opposite of each other. Geese, where did you go to elementary school? I learned this primary color wheel in fifth grade art class.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:BYR_color_wheel.svg

Further, we are talking about eye sensativity. the eye is not very sensative to blue and violate. But most sensative to green and yellow. AND red and blue are on opposite sides of the sensative spectrum.

If you had initially typed Color Wheel instead of Spectrum, I would have had a better understanding on where you were coming from. Proper nomenclature is very important ;)

However, even that color wheel you posted the link to, shows red and yellow on the same side of the circle. If anything, blue would seem to be the better choice when discussing what is opposite of red and/or yellow. Be it wheel or spectrum, 'tis the same methinks.

HeWhoIs
08-16-2008, 12:15 PM
Lets not. LOL

HeWhoIs, what do you think?

I think HeWhoIs, is becoming the new Murphy.

:crackup:

I'm not sure how this became personal...first you talk about my elementary schooling and now you compare me to murphy?

Tell you what, explain to me how the pic you linked to shows red and yellow on the opposite sides of the circle and I will buy you lunch.

Otherwise, you admit you are the "murph" and buy me lunch instead.

Fair enough?

Noleman
08-16-2008, 12:27 PM
:crackup:

I'm not sure how this became personal...first you talk about my elementary schooling and now you compare me to murphy?

Tell you what, explain to me how the pic you linked to shows red and yellow on the opposite sides of the circle and I will buy you lunch.

Otherwise, you admit you are the "murph" and buy me lunch instead.

Fair enough?

Sorry Murphy, I am not going to get into an internet arguement with you. So long as you understand that the eye is most sensative to yellow and green and least sensative to red and blue, my job is done.

However, if you'd like to take it to the track or street on a bike for a little friendly competition to decide who is the real Murphy, I am all for it.

HeWhoIs
08-16-2008, 12:44 PM
...So long as you understand that the eye is most sensative to yellow and green and least sensative to red and blue, my job is done.

I never stated otherwise.

I still have no idea why you have reacted in this manner. So be it.

vrod
08-16-2008, 12:51 PM
Ha Ha, you both have to much time on your hands.

BobTheBiker
08-16-2008, 01:05 PM
so? its an interesting science lesson of sorts.

IanH&D
08-18-2008, 08:36 AM
Regardless of how my eyeball works...In florida if it is a "running" light in the rear it MUST be red. If it is a "running" light in the front it must be Amber. I made my turn signals in the back running, stop light & turn signals.(Back-off brake light module). By law they had to be red..Yellow does show up better and I wanted to keep them that way...Untill someone showed me the statute....

vrod
08-18-2008, 08:57 AM
Ian, I think your looking into this too deep. Don't confuse motorcycles from boat regulations. Take a look at the new bikes and you will notice the majority for years have come with yellow turn signals front and rear. Custom applications often use red lenses.

Many HD shops install a rear brake light combination kit as a safety measure that uses both turn signals with red lenses in conjunction with the red tail light when stopping.

Use whatever you feel provides you the best safety measures since it is your butt sitting astride your bike.

IanH&D
08-18-2008, 01:58 PM
Vrod...You are right again...According to F.S. 316.234(2). The front does have to be white or amber but the back can be red or amber...Man you know your Florida Law...(LEO?)....LOL..