PDA

View Full Version : Race Railz or frame sliders

Russ
07-13-2008, 08:39 AM
Im in a heated discussion in another fourm about whats going to protect the bike better in lets say a lowside type crash or just even dropping the bike. After installing mine i cant see anyway that a single puck is going to save more body work then a puck and a steel rail? Has anyone had any crash experiances with race railz to show that the bike fairs better or worse?

TBAGR
07-13-2008, 08:41 AM
obviously the more protection you hav the less damage. rails = more

SideShow
07-13-2008, 08:46 AM
I know plenty of people to wreck on both.with sliders your almost garunteed to scratch plastics,mirror,side exhaust,and break clipons/levers.

Quite a few at pa have gone done on rails and have had little to no damage.

Bikerbitch has dropped her bike like 6 times and no damage.
token/black alex wrecked after hitting a crackhead at 45 mph and had a very slight scratch on the underside.
a few others have wrecked too with lil to no damage.

This garuntee's nothing though.Any bike with slider/rails can still catch and flip.

Russ
07-13-2008, 08:49 AM
obviously the more protection you hav the less damage. rails = more

Railz = more damage or protection? why? Facts/proof not opinions/speculations?

PoorBoyBrian
07-13-2008, 09:40 AM
Russ I am probably your best examply for race rails. I went down at close to 90 because of highsiding a turn. both my side plastice would be perfectly fine if i did not have them molded to the upper fairing. The bike flipped tires up and tank down. there was very little damage to anything besides the upper fairing/upper stay, and the tank. Frame sliders would have snapped off and everything would have gotten killed.

Race rails are the way to go.

Tonya
07-13-2008, 11:52 AM
race railz are great! I haven't gone done hard thank god, but I have dropped my bike a couple of times and went down once and all i have are scratches. although I would have to say the spooles might have also helped when I went down because it snapped the one off.

Tonya
07-13-2008, 11:55 AM
I know plenty of people to wreck on both.with sliders your almost garunteed to scratch plastics,mirror,side exhaust,and break clipons/levers.

Quite a few at pa have gone done on rails and have had little to no damage.

Bikerbitch has dropped her bike like 6 times and no damage.
token/black alex wrecked after hitting a crackhead at 45 mph and had a very slight scratch on the underside.
a few others have wrecked too with lil to no damage.

This garuntee's nothing though.Any bike with slider/rails can still catch and flip.

Thanks for mentioning sideshow but get your facts straight it was 5 times.

Holeshot
07-13-2008, 03:30 PM
I read somewhere that beacuse of the rigidity, race railz are more likely to bend you frame in a crash.

stevewfl
07-13-2008, 03:35 PM
neither is my vote, just don't let the bike fall

CBRunes
07-13-2008, 04:55 PM
You are talking about two different things- A lowside type crash is what the sliders are "made" for- if you are on cement/asphalt that goes on forever with no divots. As soon as you go off that you can catch a puck and send the bike flying thru the air. Railz were made to be better the just pucks...and they seem to fair well in slides.

Most pucks are made of Delrin, which is made to slide, but not take blunt impacts- So there is a chance that if you lowside you can walk away with a bike that only needs a new puck- but if you drop it from the kickstand the puck can crack and you'll do more damage to the bike plastics and what not. The railz will still be steel, even if you put a delrin puck on it- so you've got a chance of saving the plastics.

I've seen some pretty nasty bent/cracked bolt mounts on sliders- I haven't seen the same kind of secondary damage from railz- and I saw Brians bike when it happens and it could have been much worse.

I still use sliders, and they helped me save some plastics when my bike tipped off my truck- but it could have been very bad, very quick if the angle was just a lil different.

The protection is good but there are lots of things that can happen...I think I agree with steve- let it go and pray for the best- maybe get some Woodcraft engine covers tho.

hytekchaos
07-13-2008, 05:08 PM
the of the name frame sliders: meant to save the frame,,,, plastic's will give fawked up
race rails: offer more protection and the rails actually cover some of the fairings so
rails offer more protection..