I just bought my new 05 CRF 450, need to hit the dirt, NEVER BEEN TO CROOM
wondering if any1 has some info they can shoot my way
Nick
NEWB TO THE DIRT

Rotech7
02-08-2008, 01:27 AM
Talk to Knine, hes the dirt king ...
Did I hear a cough ..?
No that was just Knine's R-1 from sitting so long ..

Knine
02-08-2008, 03:37 AM
Congrats On the New CRF:occasion1

Withlacoochee State Forest – Croom Motorcycle Area
Declared as one of the "10 Coolest Places in North America" by the World Wildlife Fund, the Withlacoochee State Forest has numerous outdoor recreational opportunities available for everyone. The Croom Motorcycle Area is among the recreational areas that makes this state forest so popular. Established in 1973 through the efforts of the Florida Trail Riders and the Department of Agriculture, the Croom Motorcycle Area is the only state property in Florida currently dedicated to the needs of off-highway motorcycle and ATV riders. Off highway motorcycle and ATV users will find many miles of trails from easy to challenging, within the area’s 2,600 acres. The terrain ranges from hardwood hammocks and tight scrubs, to numerous pits left from discontinued mining operations.

Navigate Guide Main Florida Map Panhandle West Panhandle East North Cross Florida East Central West Central South

Major Activities

Trail Length/Surface: length varies; unpaved

Fee: Annual permits are required for each motorcycle and ATV using the Croom Motorcycle Area, and are good for the entire year (July through June). Fees are posted at the entrance gate and are pro-rated throughout the year. Payments can be made at the entrance gate, by cash and travelers check only.

Fees for camping are posted at the Croom Motorcycle Area Campground.

County: Hernando

Nearby Cities: Brooksville

—description continued below—

Notes:

A Croom Motorcycle Area brochure with complete rules should be picked up at the entrance gate. Some of the rules that one should be aware of prior to arriving include the following:

All area users must enter at the entrance located at I-75 and US98/SR50 behind the Holiday Inn.

A permit is required to ride within the motorcycle area. The permit must be displayed on the front of each motorcycle and ATV. Persons operating motorcycles and ATVs without a permit will be subject to expulsion and/or fine.

Permits will be issued for two wheel cycles and 3 and 4 wheel ATVs. ATVs must meet the following requirements:
a) wheelbase of less than 55 inches
b) width of less than 45 inches
c) total vehicle weight less than 500 lbs.
d) travel on 3 or 4 low pressure tires
e) has a seat that is designed to be straddled by operator

All motorcycles and ATVs will be required to have mufflers in accordance with the Florida Highway Patrol Handbook.

All riders will wear approved protective headgear designed for motorcycles and ATVs.

Pets are not permitted.

Firearms not permitted.

Alcoholic beverages prohibited.

Motorcycle/ATV operators under age 16 are required to have direct adult supervision.

All non-street legal vehicles are required to be hauled or trailered in and out of the Croom Motorcycle Area.

Access/Directions:

From Brooksville
Head east on US 98/SR 50 approximately 11 miles. The entrance is on the left, just before the I-75 overpass.

From I-75 (40 miles north of downtown Tampa)
Take Exit 61 (new Exit 301) to US98/SR50. Turn west (toward Brooksville). The entrance is on the right – northwest corner of the I-75 and US98/SR50 interchange. Look for the Holiday Inn as a landmark.

Contact Information:
Withlacoochee State Forest
Recreation/Visitors Center
15003 Broad Street
Brooksville, FL 34601-4201
352-754-6896
Withlacoochee State Forest website.
Florida Division of Forestry

Florida Trail Riders
407-264-0559

Knine
02-08-2008, 03:48 AM
Nick,
A few of us will be hitting what we call 301 Sat.
U're more than welcome to come on out!

Sun.. it might be Croom...if they get some Rain!

Desripition's Of Area>If U're into Track type of riding and can deal with riding the same area over and over again(As in a Track) U'll like this place. If U into Trail Riding , Harescrambles, this is not the place.
Acre's>?
Terrain>Hard Compact CLAY...Very Little Sugar Sand.
2 shallow Ponds(Copper Water)For the 'Aquatic' type.
Deep Rut Area's(Mudding)
All Wide Paths>Fast, Rutted, Hills to Jump Up or Jump off.
Burm Area
Campfire Area
Great Lay Out For A MotoX Riding Track..Nothing there Yet, for The SuperX folks!
CAUTION>There Are Alot Of Blind Corners In The Hilly Areas.

Types Of Vehicles That Ride the Property> Quads,ATV's, Dirtbikes, 4x4's !

<DIRECTIONS>

HEAD EAST OFF OF HWY. 75 ONTO FOWLER

TURN RIGHT AT 1ST ST. , CONTINUE TO HWY. 301, THEN MAKE A RIGHT

GO 1/4 MILE TO RAULERSON RANCH, THEN MAKE A RIGHT

DRIVE DOWN TO IT DEAD ENDS-LOOK TO THE RIGHT.....'X' MAKES THE SPOT!

yogatogaman
02-08-2008, 07:46 AM
Ive really never ridden dirt too much, basically brand new to dirt riding so I doubt I can keep up on the track.
Whats the agenda for next saturday, Im booked up this saturday anyways with a paintball tournament but next saturday if you all are riding Id love to come good around.. Keep in mind I only have a street bike helmet, no real pads or anything like that (are they necessary?)

TTriple
02-08-2008, 08:47 AM
Yogatoga... you gotta at least get some off road boots. You can really mangle your foot and/or ankle offroad. Personally, I ALWAYS wear my offroad helmet, goggles, boots and chest protector. I have never fallen off of my street bike (knock on wood) but I have fallen off of quads and MX bikes plenty. Just my two cents...

(ohhhh and hit me up if you ever want to ride. I got two quads for Christmas that STILL haven't seen the dirt!)

Knine
02-08-2008, 09:29 AM
Yoga,

If don't have to worrie about keeping up...We're all riding in the same Area.

Just come on out & learn U're Bike & practice & have Fun!

And +1 to what TTriple Said!

Boots are a Must(For Safety)...And if u have the cash..go with a good pair!

yogatogaman
02-08-2008, 03:02 PM
I need a pair of boots, and armor if I can get it.. Just short on cash, but if ne1 knows of SIZE 12 ish boots that r cheap throw em this way

AND HEY

DO YOU GUYS KNOW THE TRICK TO STARTING THESE 4 stroke 450';s
its a 05 honda crf 450 but I CANT start the bitch
the guy I bought it from fired it right from cold no problem
I know turn the gas on, hit the gas about 4 times, then try to start it with not turning the gas and have the choke on but I just cant start it
Dont know what to do
Nick

Sick50R
02-08-2008, 03:16 PM
ill go out to croom with you on the weekend of feb 23-24th, thats when i plan on going out there. lmk dude, it will be fun.

vrod
02-08-2008, 03:34 PM
On most four strokes, stay away from the throttle until after it starts running. There's some basic rules in four stroke starting and that's the first rule. Until you get use to it, don't even touch the throttle when kicking the motor over because some have a habit of holding the throttle and twisting it when kicking at the same time flooding the motor. Four strokes can flood easily if you don't know what you are doing.

I'd also be standing on a strong step stool which is almost the same height of your pegs. By standing on a strong support, it puts you up higher and gives your leg better leverage to kick the motor over. Stumps work perfect for this in the woods.

yogatogaman
02-08-2008, 04:18 PM
PMed both of you

cool user name___<-there
02-08-2008, 07:23 PM
Nick,
A few of us will be hitting what we call 301 Sat.
U're more than welcome to come on out!

Sun.. it might be Croom...if they get some Rain!

Desripition's Of Area>If U're into Track type of riding and can deal with riding the same area over and over again(As in a Track) U'll like this place. If U into Trail Riding , Harescrambles, this is not the place.
Acre's>?
Terrain>Hard Compact CLAY...Very Little Sugar Sand.
2 shallow Ponds(Copper Water)For the 'Aquatic' type.
Deep Rut Area's(Mudding)
All Wide Paths>Fast, Rutted, Hills to Jump Up or Jump off.
Burm Area
Campfire Area
Great Lay Out For A MotoX Riding Track..Nothing there Yet, for The SuperX folks!
CAUTION>There Are Alot Of Blind Corners In The Hilly Areas.

Types Of Vehicles That Ride the Property> Quads,ATV's, Dirtbikes, 4x4's !

<DIRECTIONS>

HEAD EAST OFF OF HWY. 75 ONTO FOWLER

TURN RIGHT AT 1ST ST. , CONTINUE TO HWY. 301, THEN MAKE A RIGHT

GO 1/4 MILE TO RAULERSON RANCH, THEN MAKE A RIGHT

DRIVE DOWN TO IT DEAD ENDS-LOOK TO THE RIGHT.....'X' MAKES THE SPOT!

I guess this is open to anybody?

BTW, would you happen to know of anyone with a kick start shaft for a 2002 YZ125?

Knine
02-08-2008, 08:48 PM
I guess this is open to anybody?

BTW, would you happen to know of anyone with a kick start shaft for a 2002 YZ125?

Yes..

Call kevin @ Cahills..or Pm Big Red!

Agent
02-09-2008, 06:02 PM
hey bud, we are going to croom tomorrow if you are interested. AIM me if you are down, should be there around 10am.

yogatogaman
02-09-2008, 11:18 PM
Sorry, cant make this trip...