PDA

View Full Version : Brrrr its cold!!

SVgirlie
01-06-2006, 07:26 AM
I took the plunge and rode my bike to work at 7am !! 46 degrees.... it really want that bad!!! SUUUUURE WOKE ME UP!!

LittleNinja
01-06-2006, 07:29 AM
Good for you! Now.......try doing that tomorrow morning at 7am when its 32 degrees out. That's cold!!!! I bet you'll have frozen boogies~

Wicked1
01-06-2006, 07:30 AM
How far is it to work?

The Wicked1 :cool:

SVgirlie
01-06-2006, 07:32 AM
yeah tomorrow i'll be caging it to a horse show at 630 in the morning!!! its gonna be SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO COOOOOOOOOOOOOOLD ... as it is I have a tank top a long sleeve shirt and a t-shirt under my leather jacket!! ha ha no wonder i wasnt cold!

Cobra Kai
01-06-2006, 07:54 AM
Wear the right gear and you'll be OK. Stay warm

Wicked1
01-06-2006, 08:07 AM
I rode from Ocala to Gainesville December 16th, 2005 at 5:30 am when the outside temp was about 34 F. I had long johns on under my jeans, wool inserts for my gloves, hjc breath guard for my helmet (must have item) and a fleece sweater on under my quilt-lined leather jacket. I still froze my ass off!

Bundle up!

SVgirlie
01-06-2006, 08:12 AM
hjc breath guard for my helmet (must have item) Bundle up!

Where can i pick that up??

PoppaNoDoz
01-06-2006, 08:14 AM
Scott's recommendations for cold riding:

Subtract 30 degrees from the ambient temperature to determine what it is going to feel like on your bike.
Let the bike warm up for at least 5 minutes before taking off, especially if it has sat over night.
The longer the ride in the cold, the more severe you're going to feel it
Even a slight shiver, over 4 or 5 hours, is exhausting - it is like a full body workout and you will get fatigued from it
30 minutes is about the time you figure out whether you are wearing the right gear or not - by that time you're too far from home to do anything about it, so pack extra stuff and bungee it down to the back of the bike
Layers, lots of layers
Be WARM before the ride, by the time you have your gear on you might be a little uncomfortable, so some of it you may want to put on in the garage or outside.
Rainjackets keep the wind off of you
Rainpants keep your legs warm
Both can be taken off, rolled up and stored in the bungee net you remembered to bring along, because it usually warms up by mid day here in FL
If you get caught out in the cold, a trashbag can be used, cut a hole for your head and arms and tuck it in over your shirt but under your jacket.
Hands and feet go numb fast - a good pair of gauntlets will save you a LOT of pain. Boots are important and thick socks too
Your neck is often exposed - a balaclava is like a hood with neck warmer, you can get them at the north face or other outdoor stores (avoid sports authority)

Wicked1
01-06-2006, 08:31 AM
CBRgirl,

The place I used was NewEnough.com. Here's part of my invoice.

I'm getting a balaclava next, I'm tired of my neck getting wind burn. :bomb:

Item Ref. Price ea. Qty. Description

HJCCL14BG $9.99 1 HJC CL-14 Breath Guard-One size fits all
Same Day!

These guys are fantastic. Zero fog! Frustration level: 0

it just snaps into the helmet and velcros to the cheek pads.

It's very comfortable, too.

plus, it makes you look like a fighter jet pilot. :D

LittleNinja
01-06-2006, 08:39 AM
spoole...those are awesome tips. I new some but not all......thanks!

cbrgirl, My helmet came with the breath guard and that thing is awesome. Your visor will not fog up or anything. I love mine.

SVgirlie
01-06-2006, 08:42 AM
my shoei fogs like a son of a gun!!! it was annoying me the entire way to work

LittleNinja
01-06-2006, 08:45 AM
my shoei fogs like a son of a gun!!! it was annoying me the entire way to work

WOW i'm surprised that as expensive as shoei is that it didn't come with one.

griffinzx10
01-06-2006, 08:46 AM
Excellent post spoole..... Always count on you for great tips :thumbsup:

jimmysal
01-06-2006, 02:03 PM
when does it start to warm up around here? this is only my second winter here in the fl

SVgirlie
01-06-2006, 02:11 PM
it comes and goes in the winter... going to be nice next week *supposedly* .... no more cold past feb for certain!

GSXRGirl
01-06-2006, 02:55 PM
WOW i'm surprised that as expensive as shoei is that it didn't come with one.

It is not the price of the helmet. It is the vents that are provided.
My Arai has vents on shield to prevent fog http://www.tampasportbikes.com/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

ZeusGSXR never has any problems with his Shoei fogging.

SVgirlie
01-06-2006, 02:58 PM
hmmm i'll mess around with the vents.... the shield is aftermarket... so not sure if that has anything to do with it... but i just placed an order for the guard that wicked was talking about... he showed me where to buy it... should have it in a few days :)

Vixxen
01-06-2006, 03:04 PM
Scott's recommendations for cold riding:

Subtract 30 degrees from the ambient temperature to determine what it is going to feel like on your bike.
Let the bike warm up for at least 5 minutes before taking off, especially if it has sat over night.
The longer the ride in the cold, the more severe you're going to feel it
Even a slight shiver, over 4 or 5 hours, is exhausting - it is like a full body workout and you will get fatigued from it
30 minutes is about the time you figure out whether you are wearing the right gear or not - by that time you're too far from home to do anything about it, so pack extra stuff and bungee it down to the back of the bike
Layers, lots of layers
Be WARM before the ride, by the time you have your gear on you might be a little uncomfortable, so some of it you may want to put on in the garage or outside.
Rainjackets keep the wind off of you
Rainpants keep your legs warm
Both can be taken off, rolled up and stored in the bungee net you remembered to bring along, because it usually warms up by mid day here in FL
If you get caught out in the cold, a trashbag can be used, cut a hole for your head and arms and tuck it in over your shirt but under your jacket.
Hands and feet go numb fast - a good pair of gauntlets will save you a LOT of pain. Boots are important and thick socks too
Your neck is often exposed - a balaclava is like a hood with neck warmer, you can get them at the north face or other outdoor stores (avoid sports authority)

Great post man

wolfey971
01-06-2006, 03:09 PM
my scorpion helmet comes with anti fog visor, my shoei and HJC doesnt so being a diver, I always have some antifog spray around and works pretty well keeping the fog off the visor

SVgirlie
01-06-2006, 03:10 PM
my scorpion helmet comes with anti fog visor, my shoei and HJC doesnt so being a diver, I always have some antifog spray around and works pretty well keeping the fog off the visor

I dive too- i was wondering if that stuff would work! dang... i have anti fog stored with my dive gear at my parents house... now i know!!

wolfey971
01-06-2006, 03:15 PM
wqasntme posted this linkhttp://store.azmusa.com/nojquriheli.html on another thread and I am going to order one for me and the wife - he said they work really well

BMBSHL
01-07-2006, 09:46 PM
I rode out today...starting temp was 37. Nothing was cold except my fingers(which I had gauntlet gloves and another pair of gloves under them). I got a hold of some HotHand hand warmers. They did the trick...

GSXRGirl
01-07-2006, 09:48 PM
wqasntme posted this linkhttp://store.azmusa.com/nojquriheli.html on another thread and I am going to order one for me and the wife - he said they work really well

This works great. I love mine :D
Only down side is now my helmet fogs a little (before it never use to)

wolfey971
01-07-2006, 11:14 PM
This works great. I love mine :D
Only down side is now my helmet fogs a little (before it never use to)

try this http://www.diverssupplyusa.com/productimages/MCN24049LG.jpg