PDA

View Full Version : Bridgestone BT002(RS) vs Micheli Pilot Power review...

racerraul
11-14-2007, 10:49 AM
OK gang... I been tossing around weather to try the Continental Contisport Attack or the new Bridgestones BT002 RS...

I decided this time around to try the new Bridgestone BT002 RS.

The RS designation identifies them as being the Racing Street version of the BT002 line. Bridgestone does make a more track oriented version of the RS called the BT002 Pro Race DOT. So again, to make this clear I am comparing the BT002 RS to the Pilot Power... not the Pro Race DOT.

Ok.. 1st lets get the WHY question answered... Why did I switch? Well for a few of reasons...

1) The price... I got them installed for $270.
2) The price included a 120/70 front & a 190/55 rear
3) The Front is a dual compound

The price is the same I paid for Michelin Pilot Powers with a 120/70-190/50 combo. If you want a 190/55 or dual compunds in Michelin you have to get 2ct's... More Cha-ching!!! (aka $$$)

So on to the review...

1st off the bat... while riding it slow... as in around the block. I noticed that the Bridgestones do not have the same quick turn in. I wasn't surprised since the tire profiles are rounder by looking at them... The Michelin are more triangular shaped.

So in that regard... advantage Pilot Powers.

But that is all the Pilots do best! :-o

Yesterday I hitched on a ride from another forum, & these folks took me to .6 in Sebring. I couldn't have hoped for a better place to really put the Stones to the test...

Front end feedback...
Advantage Bridgestone BT002. The front end is BITCHIN!!!! And I think that is in part to it's rounder profile. I get the feeling as if more rubber is on the ground under hard braking. It also trail brakes with much more confidence than the Pilots. I am sure the Dual Compound (Med center/Soft edges) is at play when cranking it over into the turns... it is a much more confidence inspiring tire than the Pilot.

Rear Tires...
Despite the Bridgestone being a taller tire (190/55) I can't readily say that it was as quick turning as the Pilot 190/50. Probably due to the front tire. But at speed, it is all negligible.

After a few laps around .6 I found the edge of the tires & took care of the chicken strips. Even dragged my toe slider on a right hand bend. That is worth mentioning since right handers are very difficult for me after the surgery. I struggle with applying power while cranked over due to hanging off & limited wrist motion.

Warm up times are identical judging by the seat of my pants warm up timer. I had to problem even in this cool weather we are having.

Grip is no problem and I don't think either tire has much advantage over the other in that regard.

Stability\Confidence
I think after yesterdays ride that the BT002 is a more confidence inspiring tire over all but more so when cranked over into a turn. Being a long time Michelin fan, I was a bit worried, but that went away the first time I grabbed a hand full of brakes & trailed them into a bend.

I want to get on the bike again... and I think I now have a new reference in tires.

I never thought I'd be so willing to trade the turn in ease of the Pilots... guess you never really know.

If you need it spelled out...
I A M N O T G O I N G B A C K ! ! !

DeltaNu1142
11-14-2007, 10:54 AM
I'm amazed there's such a difference between the standard & RS versions of this tire. I run the regular BT002 front & a Bridgestone ??? rear & can't wait to run through them.

sl33p3r
11-14-2007, 11:05 AM
My last tire was a BT002, I loved it gripped well coming out of the turns. Bad thing was lack of tread on the sides, my bike is my dd so if it was raining I had to be even more careful through turns. (which is prolly a good thing anyway). I switched to a Pilot Power though just to see what all the hype is about. so far I like them, but we will see what the tread life is like.

griffinzx10
11-14-2007, 11:47 AM
Raul thanks for the write up, it is much appreciated, especially the depth that you go into your write ups. Much better than I like the BT's better the Pilot powers......

Makes me think about possibly switching brands next time for tires...

Knine
11-14-2007, 12:36 PM
When Riders Test Tires...Don't They Also Test Them @ "High Speeds" Also!

Good Write Up, Though!

Go PP 2ct's..

racerraul
11-14-2007, 01:39 PM
When Riders Test Tires...Don't They Also Test Them @ "High Speeds" Also!

Good Write Up, Though!

Go PP 2ct's..

Indeed, Calvin...

This is not intended to be the ultimate review. Just a simple review of what I found them to be like for me on the street.

Ultimately I wouldn't mind having a shot at doing a more scientific review at a track... but I lack the funds to do that.

So take my opinions with the grain of salt... after all, diff riding styles can also make or brake your tire choices.

racerraul
11-14-2007, 01:46 PM
Raul thanks for the write up, it is much appreciated, especially the depth that you go into your write ups. Much better than I like the BT's better the Pilot powers......

Makes me think about possibly switching brands next time for tires...

It's always hard to give up the things we are so used to... I struggled with that feeling for a while.

Knine
11-14-2007, 01:48 PM
Indeed, Calvin...

This is not intended to be the ultimate review. Just a simple review of what I found them to be like for me on the street.

Ultimately I wouldn't mind having a shot at doing a more scientific review at a track... but I lack the funds to do that.

So take my opinions with the grain of salt... after all, diff riding styles can also make or brake your tire choices.

It's Still a Good Write Up:occasion1

crazyr1
11-14-2007, 03:34 PM
I have had 2 set of the BT002s and love them. They have a very progressive give and catch when sliding at high speeds. Great feel on low speed corners also.I ride very hard on the street, Knine can vouch for me on that and I think these tires are much better than the PP2ct. I will buy more thats for sure!

miked636
11-14-2007, 03:43 PM
I had the regular Stones and now the 2ct. love the 2ct in the turns. But the wear on the stones were better. But again a dual compound VS a single compound. I might try the dual compound stones next time though.

Knine
11-15-2007, 12:57 AM
I have had 2 set of the BT002s and love them. They have a very progressive give and catch when sliding at high speeds. Great feel on low speed corners also.I ride very hard on the street, Knine can vouch for me on that and I think these tires are much better than the PP2ct. I will buy more thats for sure!

:bs: Crazyr1......Doesn't have a "CLUE".........How Any Tire, Would handle @ LOW SPEED!!!!!!!!...LOL/:occasion1

BLACK
11-15-2007, 09:08 PM
interesting write up.. I just put a new set of PP2ct's on my R1.. went with the 190/55 in the rear.. and went straight to Jenning's with them.. I have no complaints what so ever. so far they have performed very good! I did go from a regular PP in the front to a 2ct.. the bike felt great under hard braking and in the turns..

just my 2 pennies

after I wear these out.. I may try a set of corsa3's

Knine
11-22-2007, 02:10 AM
I use to run the pirelli corsa's,never tried the 3's......I luv'ed the 'Stick", But, They would only last a Mth & 1/2... Went to the higher profile PP2CT's...& I'm just as Happy,.. they last longer!

moke
11-22-2007, 10:56 AM
Seems Like Alot More People Are Trying The Bridgstones, Gee You Think That Has Anything To Do With C.s. Winning The Championship??? Na,=)!

You Will Never Truly Know How Good A Tire Is Unless You Can Push It To "its" Limits.or Beable To Feel The Differences Between Tires. Same With Liter Bikes, And How Everyone Asks Which One Is Better?,...depends On How Hard You Can Push It. Youll Never Find Out These Things On The Street No Matter How Hard You Think You Ride. Unless Your At The I.o.m In Which Case You Wont Be On Street Tires.

Knine
11-22-2007, 02:33 PM
I.o.m. ?

stevewfl
11-22-2007, 02:47 PM
I suspect he's referring to isle of man

stevewfl
11-22-2007, 02:50 PM
I wish I could get open-minded enough to even try some of Michelin's competitors. I don't ride much faster than idle speed on the street or track, my little brother is a manager at Michelin USA in Greenville, and their tires are more than good enough for me :)

Knine
11-22-2007, 03:22 PM
I suspect he's referring to isle of man

@ least The Isle Of Man....Is now acknowledge as a Event, by The Moke! lol

Knine
11-22-2007, 03:23 PM
I wish I could get open-minded enough to even try some of Michelin's competitors. I don't ride much faster than idle speed on the street or track, my little brother is a manager at Michelin USA in Greenville, and their tires are more than good enough for me :)
Must be Nice..:occasion1

moke
11-22-2007, 08:58 PM
@ least The Isle Of Man....Is now acknowledge as a Event, by The Moke! lol

HEY NOW, IV PROBLY FOLLOWED THE I.O.M 2YRS AFTER I STARTED RIDING. I GIVE IT MAD RESPECT, TOO THOSE WHO RUN IT,...MAD PROPS.

THOSE GUYS ARE ONE OF A KIND, AND AWSOME! I THINK YOU CONFUSED AN EARLIER ARGUMENT WITH A MISUNDERSTANDING THOUGH? I STILL LOVE YA THOUGH BRAH!

TBAGR
11-25-2007, 11:43 AM
I have been useing dulops for years even though everyone keeps telling me to try the mich. my next tire change Ill probably switch to try something new.

dude.....do yourself a favor and use ANYTHING other than a Dunlop. i was a fan for a long time until i got my V-Rod and found out just how shitty they are when they were put to the test. once i tried a different brand i have never gone back.

moke
11-26-2007, 09:23 AM
dude.....do yourself a favor and use ANYTHING other than a Dunlop. i was a fan for a long time until i got my V-Rod and found out just how shitty they are when they were put to the test. once i tried a different brand i have never gone back.

You need to seriously lay off the crackpipe,...its bad for you brotha?

Murphy_DX
11-26-2007, 09:27 AM
:+1 i had dunlops on mine and it wore a flat spot in the center of the tire in less then 100 miles....and the turning on them i dont really like either

also dunlop car tires i had issues with also within 1 week it went from brand new dunlop tires to race slicks of just drving around town....i dont know what dunlop is doing but for me that tire falls apart fast.....(wears down fast)

for the bike i loved M3's...i have no idea what i have for the car but they are over 1 year old and have close to 30k miles on them and look really close to new....

moke
11-26-2007, 09:50 AM
Murphy?=(.....You guys should both notify the Ama that Dunlop tires suck, cause they have been using them for quite some time now?

moke
11-26-2007, 09:56 AM
[QUOTE=Murphy_DX]:+1 i had dunlops on mine and it wore a flat spot in the center of the tire in less then 100 miles....and the turning on them i dont really like either

"I can see why you didnt like turning on them,....."THEY HAD A FLAT SPOT IN THE MIDDLE!"??? After I sell you a bike were going to jennings!

No going down either!!!

Murphy_DX
11-26-2007, 10:05 AM
i was doing a s-run and it got the flat spot that way....it still dosnt round out as much as a m3 or 2ct....

moke
11-26-2007, 11:54 AM
You Guys Just Cant Have A Conversation And Generalize All Dunlops, Into One Catagory? Exspecially If Your Riding A Vrod?

[tbagr]
What Did You Mean When You Said "you Put Them To The Test"?,...how Did You Do That On A Vrod,....burnout?cornering,?
What Compound Where They? If It Was A Vrod Im Sure Its A Litlle Different Compound Than What Even Track Guys Are Using.let Alone An Ama Rider.

Murphy_DX
11-26-2007, 12:01 PM
i have just had bad luck with them so i dont use them...that and i dont like the curvature of the tire....(but my stock dunlop did last about 8k miles)

stevewfl
11-26-2007, 12:04 PM

Must be Nice..:occasion1

Oh I'm not getting many of the Michelins free...I just owe the brand loyalty and ride on 'em

Moke, great job in keeping this silly thread straight http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j180/stevewfl/avatars/iconpopcorn.gif

stevewfl
11-26-2007, 12:05 PM
i have just had bad luck with them so i dont use them...that and i dont like the curvature of the tire....(but my stock dunlop did last about 8k miles)

they're flat like the earth huh

Green Goblin
12-05-2007, 03:12 AM
Great write up Raul. :) Congrats for taking a chance on a new tire!