PDA

View Full Version : Oil filter and Lube...

Shuttle73
10-09-2007, 09:18 AM
Need to change the the filter and oil in my bike what should I use? Which brand filter is best and should I use regular or synthetic? Got a '05 Gixxer 750. Any suggestions?

bigguy
10-09-2007, 09:24 AM
Depend on what ya wanna pay. i like th K N oil filters cause they have a 17mm bolt on the end making it easy to swap out. i am running royal purple motorcycle oil and like it alot, made it a lil smother but its ten bucks a qt. so decide what you want to spend. you dont have to use motorcycle oil but you cant use all car oil some have and additive that messes with the clutch

StuntworksMatt
10-09-2007, 09:26 AM
Yeahpoor stunter advice for you... Cheap oil filter and mobil one full synthetic car oil.

thats what i use in the stuntbike.

RicanRacerR6
10-09-2007, 09:51 AM
actually mobil one car oil has done good on the motorcycle oil debates..

kawa-rider
10-09-2007, 12:01 PM
just use the same that came off the bike ,the same stuff thats in it now .thats what i use .oil and filter

moke
10-09-2007, 04:16 PM
If You Have A Warranty On The Bike, I Would Strongly Suggest Using Oem Filters. Iv Seen Some Dealers Deny Claims Just Because They Didnt Use Oem Parts. Oil I Also Believe Suzuki Reccomends That You Dont Use Any Sythetic, However Iv Run It In A Few Of My Bikes Without A Problem.

Never Give The Dealer Or Manufacture A Reason To Deny Your Legitimate Claim.

JHoak
10-09-2007, 04:17 PM
i also use mobil 1 sny car oil

MixerMike
10-09-2007, 04:27 PM
I hear Motul Oil is good...

BobTheBiker
10-09-2007, 04:36 PM
OEM stuff works great. but you may or may not want that.

moke
10-09-2007, 07:35 PM
I use Motul half synthetic/ half petroleum based, the only oil Iv evered used before that I used Golden spectro.
I know a certain mechanic Iv respected for a long time uses nothing but
Mobil1. You may know him hes the Head tech on that 2extreme T.V show on channel 47. Its filmed here in florida in W.P.B.

BMBSHL
10-09-2007, 07:41 PM
I use Motul synthetic blend, works really well for me. I don't like the Castrol blend at all. I also use K&N filter, mostly because of its convenience. You can use the same socket or wrench to remove the filter as you do the oil plug, which is 17mm on my '02 Gixxer 600. I have heard of people having problems with the nut twisting off of the filter, but I've never had problems.

blueknight
10-14-2007, 02:08 PM
my local dealer told me royal purple or any full synthetic was bad for the bike cause the clutch would slip. he said full synthetic is to slippery. i didnt kow that was possible.

bigguy
10-14-2007, 02:35 PM
my local dealer told me royal purple or any full synthetic was bad for the bike cause the clutch would slip. he said full synthetic is to slippery. i didnt kow that was possible.

RP makes an oil for motorcycles that covers that. thats what i have been using

Jgennaro
10-14-2007, 03:13 PM
You're going to get a million different opinions on here regarding this subject!

Remember this: motorcycles get hot as shit and break down oil quick! Synthetic oil (whichever you want to use) will withstand the hot temps better than it's dinosaur based counterparts. Additionally, oil filters are made my the manufacturers for their particular machines. The aftermarket oil filters have differing flows and construction (usually inferior to stock). Now that you know this you make the decision as to which oil and filter to use!

ryman546
10-20-2007, 07:45 AM
amsoil.

nitroroo
10-20-2007, 01:50 PM
I'm a big fan of Shell Rotella T Synthetic. It's not too expensive and if you read around has great reviews. I believe they market this same stuff under a different name in Europe and it's very popular over there.

I use the Synth in the bike and their non-synth in both my cars.

I usually stick with the OEM oil filter, although for my last change I tried out a fram which seemed to be built about as well as the stock oem filter..

I've also used Repsol fully synthetic before and really liked it, but it's pricey. From all the reading I've done the only oils I've heard to definitely stay away from is those that say "energy conserving" on the label. Those will cause a wet clutch to slip (from what I have read).

Anyway, a quick search on a couple forums will give you a lifetime's worth of reading on the subject, enough to make your head spin. The most important thing is that you actually change your oil often.

moke
10-20-2007, 03:08 PM
Need to change the the filter and oil in my bike what should I use? Which brand filter is best and should I use regular or synthetic? Got a '05 Gixxer 750. Any suggestions?

If your bikes under warranty use the factory oil filter! As for oil its who ever sells ya.