PDA

View Full Version : Michelin Pilot Power 2CT vs Pirelli Diablo Corsa III comparo

Green Goblin
06-27-2007, 01:53 PM
I'm short on time now, and I wont' be around for a few weeks, but I wanted to give an "initial" feeback on my experience with these two tires.

I have about 300 miles on the Corsa IIIs (100 or so was just break in mileage, so really only about 200 miles or two days of riding)

Here's a brief synopsis.

The 2CTs grip well in the corners, and the "quickness" which you can "turn/lean" the bike is fast.

The Corsa IIIs grip in the corner is equal to the 2CTs, but the quickness you can turn/lean the bike is MUCH slower.

However, the confidence I feel coming out of the corners is MUCH higher on the Corsa IIIs vs the 2CT. I think most of that has to to with the shape/profile of the tires.

I'm not sure if I am, but I feel "faster" on the Corsa IIIs because I am able to get on the gas harder and faster coming out of corners. And I am still able to "corner" well, I just can't "turn/lean" the bike going into the corner as quickly as I could on the 2CTs.

I can see why people with 1000 cc bikes would really like the Corsa IIIs as the extra horsepower they have would feel more "sure footed" out of the turns. (I'm riding a 750, so I'm in the middle of horsepower for most people)

What I want to do, and I doubt I will go until the summer/heat ends, is go to the track and try the Corsa IIIs there as the last time I went I was on the 2CTs. Reason being is that the track is SO much wider than what I ride on the street, I want to see if the difference in "turn/lean" in quickness will be not as noticable or even not a factor because of being able to get on the gas sooner and harder coming out of the corners? I'm also guessing that due to the profile, higher speed corners feel more stable as well because the bike does not lean over as easily as it did on the 2CTs therefore it would take a mental effort and a little manhandling to lean it over more or less by accident.

My personal riding preference is that I enjoy very technical/tight turns vs just twisting the throttle in low skill level turns that are not tight (a good reference point are the roads South of the Hess are not a technical compared to the first set of turn North of the Hess). That being said I feel like I am wrestling the bike turning "in" to corners, but I can come out of the corner with much more confidence faster.

So far my "initial" feeling is that I wish I could have a combination of both tires. The quick turning entering the corners of the 2CT with the much more confident and sure footedness and much faster exiting of the Corsa IIIs.

Another thing I noticed is that I am using way more of the front tire on the Corsa III than I did on the 2CT. I am assuming this has something to do with the shape/profile of the tire?

So far I'd say which tire you buy would depend on:
1) your riding preference (do you ride lots of very tight corners or more regular corners and high speed sweepers?)

2) riding style (do you gas it hard coming out of corners all the time and find yourself getting squirley coming out of corners?)

I hope to have more feedback soon, but I won't be riding for a few weeks, and I don't anticipate a track day for a few months, so this is all I've got for a while.

***EDIT: One thing I forgot to mention, as others had said, it is true, feedback on when the tires are warm is very little on the Corsa IIIs vs the 2CTs you know and can feel easily that the tires are warm.

However, this hasn't bothered me and should bother others as long as they discipline themselves to make sure the tires are "warmed" up before stepping it up.

LeMans
06-27-2007, 02:02 PM
Great post, thank you so much for your input!
I love my 2CTs and feel extremely confident on them but I really want to give the Corsa IIIs a try.

miked636
06-27-2007, 03:52 PM
Good write up.I also have the 2CT's and have no problem with them. But with the recent recall I moght go to the Corsa next time. Or maybe just put one on the front.

miked636
06-27-2007, 03:54 PM
If you don't like the PP coming out of the turn put a Corsa on the rear and Keep the 2CT on the front. Would this work or not?

LeMans
06-27-2007, 03:57 PM
It's always better to have the same kind of rubber on both wheels.

bigguy
06-27-2007, 04:41 PM
i am gonna start looking in to a new rear, not sire if i want to go standered pp or the 2CT or the Corsa.

BUSAFAN
06-27-2007, 04:44 PM
i am gonna start looking in to a new rear, not sire if i want to go standered pp or the 2CT or the Corsa.
whitch ever call frank he[ll get for ya cheap and mount/balance fo free!!!!

bigguy
06-27-2007, 04:46 PM
BUT does he do a tire protectin plan?? i am willing to spend extra$ if i can get a new one in a month when i find a nail.

BUSAFAN
06-27-2007, 04:50 PM
BUT does he do a tire protectin plan?? i am willing to spend extra$ if i can get a new one in a month when i find a nail.
you know i dont know that. but i will ask tonight when i see him!

bigguy
06-27-2007, 04:52 PM
if he is at the meet i will ask

BUSAFAN
06-27-2007, 04:54 PM
if he is at the meet i will ask
roger that!

cartwr1ght
06-27-2007, 04:56 PM
i wuv my 2CT's, i sleep better at night just knowing the yammi is wrapped in the warm embrace of their alternate levels of grippiness.

HELLBENT
06-27-2007, 05:31 PM
no body useing m3 here but me? and imnot slow or easy on a tire ,but thay last a long time as for grip, i finde i like em the best, i wish some one wood do this m3 vrs 2ct's

moke
06-27-2007, 07:58 PM
Imo you have to slide the michelins when exiting a corner thats how the tire works but its predictable, and wont step out too far unless you let it. The corsas Iv only tried once, I mostly use dunlops.

But if you thottle into and threw the slide it will do it predictably although I wouldnt try this for the first time on the street. Nice write up.

LeMans
06-27-2007, 08:25 PM
Let us know if he does. I am interested too.

Unlimited
06-27-2007, 09:53 PM
nice write up but i love the pp's. period

Darkshear
06-27-2007, 10:02 PM
Very nice, I might try the Corsa's next time i replace tires, I just got my 2CTs on, but I'm sure I'll run them down fast.

POWDER-P
06-27-2007, 10:38 PM
the design of the pp give you more traction while leaned over then the corsa. i myself would rather fall into a turn easier then come out of one. but every one rides different so the best result is to try them all

LeMans
06-28-2007, 03:06 AM
i myself would rather fall into a turn easier then come out of one.
I love that with the 2CTs on my Gixxer but that is also why I don't want them on my other bike.
Different purpose...

snowman_audio
07-18-2007, 07:44 PM
whitch ever call frank he[ll get for ya cheap and mount/balance fo free!!!!

This might be a stupid question, but where does frank work? I am looking to get a set for my Daytona in the near future. Or what is his number so i can get a price. Thanks

miked636
07-19-2007, 05:11 PM
This might be a stupid question, but where does frank work? I am looking to get a set for my Daytona in the near future. Or what is his number so i can get a price. Thanks

Click on the link to find Frank.
http://tampasportbikes.com/forum/gab_redirect.php?id=9&script=showthread&forumid=63

JUSTINTIME
07-19-2007, 06:53 PM
will have to say I like my metzeler m3's better than my pp's. and they last longer than the corsa threes

jmac
07-19-2007, 07:04 PM
i like the pp's better as for performance but the m 3's are great and last way longer than the pp's

Green Goblin
07-19-2007, 09:24 PM
i like the pp's better as for performance but the m 3's are great and last way longer than the pp's

I am only (mainly) interested in performance of the tire, not worried about tread wear as I don't tool the bike around the boulevard or commute it.

With that being said, you've had both the PPs and the M3s. Are you saying the PPs performed better overall, but didn't have the tread life of the M3s or is there more to it?

I'd try a set of the M3s if I had enough info to tell me they were equal to or better than the 2CTs or Corsa IIIs?

Murphy_DX
07-24-2007, 12:31 PM
I'm short on time now, and I wont' be around for a few weeks, but I wanted to give an "initial" feeback on my experience with these two tires.

I have about 300 miles on the Corsa IIIs (100 or so was just break in mileage, so really only about 200 miles or two days of riding)

Here's a brief synopsis.

The 2CTs grip well in the corners, and the "quickness" which you can "turn/lean" the bike is fast.

The Corsa IIIs grip in the corner is equal to the 2CTs, but the quickness you can turn/lean the bike is MUCH slower.

However, the confidence I feel coming out of the corners is MUCH higher on the Corsa IIIs vs the 2CT. I think most of that has to to with the shape/profile of the tires.

I'm not sure if I am, but I feel "faster" on the Corsa IIIs because I am able to get on the gas harder and faster coming out of corners. And I am still able to "corner" well, I just can't "turn/lean" the bike going into the corner as quickly as I could on the 2CTs.

I can see why people with 1000 cc bikes would really like the Corsa IIIs as the extra horsepower they have would feel more "sure footed" out of the turns. (I'm riding a 750, so I'm in the middle of horsepower for most people)

What I want to do, and I doubt I will go until the summer/heat ends, is go to the track and try the Corsa IIIs there as the last time I went I was on the 2CTs. Reason being is that the track is SO much wider than what I ride on the street, I want to see if the difference in "turn/lean" in quickness will be not as noticable or even not a factor because of being able to get on the gas sooner and harder coming out of the corners? I'm also guessing that due to the profile, higher speed corners feel more stable as well because the bike does not lean over as easily as it did on the 2CTs therefore it would take a mental effort and a little manhandling to lean it over more or less by accident.

My personal riding preference is that I enjoy very technical/tight turns vs just twisting the throttle in low skill level turns that are not tight (a good reference point are the roads South of the Hess are not a technical compared to the first set of turn North of the Hess). That being said I feel like I am wrestling the bike turning "in" to corners, but I can come out of the corner with much more confidence faster.

So far my "initial" feeling is that I wish I could have a combination of both tires. The quick turning entering the corners of the 2CT with the much more confident and sure footedness and much faster exiting of the Corsa IIIs.

Another thing I noticed is that I am using way more of the front tire on the Corsa III than I did on the 2CT. I am assuming this has something to do with the shape/profile of the tire?

So far I'd say which tire you buy would depend on:
1) your riding preference (do you ride lots of very tight corners or more regular corners and high speed sweepers?)

2) riding style (do you gas it hard coming out of corners all the time and find yourself getting squirley coming out of corners?)

I hope to have more feedback soon, but I won't be riding for a few weeks, and I don't anticipate a track day for a few months, so this is all I've got for a while.

***EDIT: One thing I forgot to mention, as others had said, it is true, feedback on when the tires are warm is very little on the Corsa IIIs vs the 2CTs you know and can feel easily that the tires are warm.

However, this hasn't bothered me and should bother others as long as they discipline themselves to make sure the tires are "warmed" up before stepping it up.

ok but what about the difference between those 2 and the M3....because M3 is actually the cheapest.....

navarachi
07-24-2007, 08:31 PM
i agree with GG fully and I would like to add the Corsas are more stable at high speed. I do miss my steep lean angle tho:( but Corsas are good fo sho

Green Goblin
07-26-2007, 08:51 PM
I got back from the Gap(s). We road over 700 miles, almost entirely on curvy roads (95% of the time).

On the faster roads, I noticed no "turn in" slowness issue, and only on the very technical roads, like Deals Gap, did I even notice that it would have been nice to have a sharper turning tire... otherwise, I guess I have gotten more used to the tires turning speed.

One thing that did feel good was not worrying about hitting the throttle too hard coming out of a corner. These tires (Corsa IIIs) stick when exiting a corner ;)

Green Goblin
12-05-2007, 02:13 AM
The rear tire has a slow leak and I've gotten probably about at leat 60%-75% usage out of the Corsa IIIs.

After riding several kinds of roads, but no track time my personal conclusion is this:

The Corsa IIIs are excellent tires. Likely at the track they perform well as the turns are not as tight as the canyon/mountain roads. They stick really well coming out of corners and anytime I've gotten any traction slippage they square up and grab making confidence out of corners high.

The only two things that are down sides to the tires are:
1) if you ride really tight/technical canyons/mountains the "turn in" speed is slower than the 2CTs.
2) you need to manually keep track of when the tires warm up as the feedback is very minimal as to when they are hot (as oppossed to the Michelins, you know when they are warm).

If you like fast sweepers, the Corsa IIIs are for you, especially if you have a liter bike with the extra torque that can get hairy coming out of corners.

My riding preference is for the tight technical roads of the canyons and mountains, which is why I will be going back to the 2CTs, BUT I think most riders who aren't looking for really really tight turns (most riders) would do best and prefer the Corsa IIIs for the predictability of grip coming out of corners.

Most typical riders (based on personal observations) aren't concerned with turn in speed. Where your average rider needs more "leeway" is the exit of a corner. I've gotten squirley with the 2CTs that made me uneasy, however on the Corsa IIIs I never felt that way coming out of corners. The tire grip of the Corsa IIIs encouraged throwing more throttle at it.

Bottom line:
Corsa IIIs for most riders on most roads.

For the fewer that like/prefer very tight/technical roads, they would benefit from the 2CT's quicker turn in speed, but will compromise corner exit confidence.

(Here is a cheat sheet to help determine which tire would suit you best: If you prefer riding SOUTH of the Hess more than North, then you would choose the Corsa III. If you prefer riding Haymen and Powell more than riding Newberger, then the Corsa III would be the better choice.)